Hash, Inc. Forums

Planet Modeling

Rooky Animator

Thank You Ultimate Mage! I used these maps and they sure do look realistic! Now how do I make my own planet? Maybe my materials are too simple and that's why it looks so weird?

two ways...

1. edit the images of the planets

2. use turbulence materials, things like turbulence in turbulence in turbulence in gradient. if you know what i mean....

If you have Photoshop, an easy and fun way to generate planet textures is with Flaming Pear's "Lunar Cell" plugin, only $20. The default setting makes a picture of a planet, but change the output to Image Map and it generates Spherical Maps for use in A:M, including color, bump and cloud mask maps.

-Jim

sample_planet_map.jpg

sample_planet_render2.jpg

Thanks you guys for all your help! All these ideas, links and downloads are really helping me a lot. I can't wait until I'm able to help other people with their problems and I'll be the expert, but that's going to be for a long time. Well, thanks again guys!

Rooky Animator

yeah dude its totally our thing!

You don't have to know what you're doing to post advice; I'm the poster child for that. :P

Coupla things:

1. The atmosphere doesn't do much for the model. Real planets' atmospheres' dimensions are to their planets as an eggshell is to an egg. Way thin. Ditch the atmosphere and maybe add just a little bit of glow around the planet.

2. Lighting is extremely important. If you have the planet lit at an angle by some kind of sun, the transition from light to dark (or day to night, if you want to think of it that way) on the planet is very sharp. (No air in space so no scattering.) You can play with this by adjusting the falloff control.