Hash, Inc. Forums

Normals and Porcelain

Normy

Hiya all

I got A.M. some years ago and from time to time go and rejigg old models when I get a moment. So my knowledge seems to be a bit static/non progressive.

It's ok I have fun, there is someting that I was wondering about though.

I tried Porcelain and it seemed to create a large ridge or crack in the faces of my models all in the same place running down the faces across the left side of the models nose.

Once I realised it was Porcelain doing this I simply removing it from each model, that did the trick (so when I use Porcelain again I'll study it's properties first) no real problem there, what I also noticed during my worried hours was that not all the control points have a 'Normal' indicator on them. Is this...normal?

I made all the heads in the same way, made one half then copied flip accross to make the other side of the head.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Normy

You'll need to select the patches with inward facing normals and flip them by pressing the F key.

Hi Kent

ok thanks for that I'll try it later, I just couldn't see any normals coming off some patches at all! Could be my eyesight.

Cheers.

Normy

You'll need to select the patches with inward facing normals and flip them by pressing the F key.

Hi Kent

ok thanks for that I'll try it later, I just couldn't see any normals coming off some patches at all! Could be my eyesight.

Cheers.

Normy

I cant believe I wrote kent! Sorry Ken.

It IS my eyesight!

Normy

In shaded mode, if the normal is turned inward it looks like a tiny yellow dot.

Also, if the patch is very convex, it will cover an inward-pointing normal - sometimes even if the normal is pointing outward. To be sure you're seeing all the normals, put it in wireframe. Then, to avoid confusion, group-select the surfaces toward you and hide the rest.

Makes me sound like I know what I'm doing, doesn't it? I learned this YESTERDAY. :lol: