Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ericaker

Second Life Models

People are doing very interesting things in second life, see the second life arts magazine for some extreams. http://slartmagazine.com/

I would like to use AM to create the sculpted primitives for second life. I have not seen anything on AM yet. People in second life

are recomending all of the 3D modelers except AM while AM is the best suited to the second life format.

Second life already uses "NURBS" which are splines.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_P..._Creators_Guide

Here is the technical explanation of how it works:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_Prim_Explanation

Is Hash working on it? Can a simple plugin be created for exorting to second life sculpted prims?

or a converter from one of the AM formats?

I did look for a converter from 3ds format which AM can export, I did not find any.

Eric

AM splines are a little different to other splines. They can accommodate 5 point patches and hooks. I don't know if it's impossible to convert them to a second life format but I think it's unlikely. It would be nice, but I don't think it would be a priority.

very interesting--apparently it doesn't matter what type of model you are starting with. The Second-Life version is generated from a "position map", where RGB colors from an image are used to define XYZ positions of a vertex in the shape displayed in the engine.

I keep hearing about Second Life...but I haven't ever been inside the world.

Good point. The user will need to know that he must use 4 point patches and no hooks.

Might be some other details also.

AM splines are a little different to other splines. They can accommodate 5 point patches and hooks. I don't know if it's impossible to convert them to a second life format but I think it's unlikely. It would be nice, but I don't think it would be a priority.

very interesting--apparently it doesn't matter what type of model you are starting with. The Second-Life version is generated from a "position map", where RGB colors from an image are used to define XYZ positions of a vertex in the shape displayed in the engine.

I keep hearing about Second Life...but I haven't ever been inside the world.

That sounds like you could model in A:M, export to some common polygon format and feed that into some tool that creates the position map?

the position map looks like a combination of a normal map and a displacement map?

It is no cost to be a tourist in second life.

You can join and just look around.

Strong recommendation for animation master artists is to look at this magazine and go to the sites.

http://slartmagazine.com

You will like it.

Real time rendering as you walk around.

about 1% the quality of AM, but it is fast.

Eric

I was looking for that, as I said in my first posting,

AM can export 3ds file that has all of the polygone info, but there is not a converter.

There is a 3dm to SL converter.

I have not looked very deep into the matter yet.

SL has only been supporting sculpted prims for a few months.

Others have requested 3ds importer, and if that happens then we just have to test the output of AM

and figure out what the restrictions are.

first off.. 2nd life does not use nurbs. They say that a nurbs program can be used to create scuply objects. I use this currently. The reason nurbs are a good fit for scuply objects is because spherical nurbs use the exact same Mapping that scuplies and most 2nd life objects use. So theres no need to mess around with mapping on the object once you create it.

Sculpies in 2nd life more resemble Displacement maps than Geometry. Except they displace in 3 dimensions instead of displacing based on Normals. Its weird stuff but the gist is that the Red displaces points in 1 direction the Green another and the blue another. The effect is a 3d object created from an image spherically wrapped around a point.

So.. What you would need to do to create scuplies in AM is the following. A way to create an image based on a spherical projection around the object. Sorta/kinda similar to the flattening you do to uv map heads/ or perhaps more similar to the neat trick Dusan Kastelic figured out when trying to come up with that nifty spherical facial mapping trick. What you would have to do after you got this mapping thing done is be able to determine a point on the surface of the objects location around its center and map the x, y, and z of that point to the red,green, and blue channels of the image map you are creating. That would give you a sculpy map.

You might even be able to trick this with a little lighting mojo. ie.. figure out how to get the camera to see your object as a sphere (how the hell this might be accomplished I do not know) then light the object from 3 directions with Red, Green and Blue lights. Combine these images in an image editing app and you would get a sculpy map.

Hope that helps.

For the record. Sculpy's in 2nd life have a limited resolution. You wont get the smoothness you might have in AM but you will get an approximation. To create really complex objects like a human body you'd have to create parts made from several to many sculpy objects. Still much less prims than you'd normally use but not near as efficient as AM ;-)

Oh and polygons for sculpys really isnt a great mix. For one you have to get the UV map normalized, which is a pain in the butt and almost always has issues. And after you get that done you don't end up with anything as nice as you might get from nurbs or splines. Not sure why, maybe it has to do with distortions caused by the UV mapping or something else. There used to be a nifty exporter from AM that could export Renderman files. The great thing about that was that you could then convert those RIBs to Nurbs patches fairly easily. That would be a better option for export from AM since the resulting objects would be easy to map and export smoother from whichever Nurbs tool you where using.

C