Hash, Inc. Forums

AM on vista

Stronghorn

Stick with XP if you need to be super functional right now. I just bought a laptop with Vista and I was disappointed to discover that little things like graphics drivers from Nvidia are somehow a year old with no indication of new ones coming out -ever-. The card is a GeForce Go 7900 GS. That's a prety high end card for a laptop. I can't help wondering how much better the darn thing would work (because it's already pretty good) if it had some recent drivers.

Was it a second hand laptop? I assume a new one would come with up to date ones....then again, laptops seem to take second precedence to desktops with graphic card companies.

I would assume this is the only issue with running AM on Vista. As long as you check if there are up to date Vista drivers for the card you're getting then it should be ok.

short answer: vista works, but xp is better for now.

notebook video drivers are updated by the machine's company, not the video cards. this can be trouble, but not all vendors wait a year for driver updates.

i can't recommend hp, since their customer service is total, complete, comedic crap, but they do update the nvida video driver for my vista-ridden tx every few months or so.

-jon

That's what I'm saying Ken. I've looked on the internet and I've seen severl forums with other owners of my same model (Dell E1705) saying the exact same thing. Dell doesn't have anything besides a 'compatibility' driver that's a year old. There -are- ways around that, but then you're dealing with unofficial, almost hacker level stuff.

That's what I'm saying Ken. I've looked on the internet and I've seen severl forums with other owners of my same model (Dell E1705) saying the exact same thing. Dell doesn't have anything besides a 'compatibility' driver that's a year old. There -are- ways around that, but then you're dealing with unofficial, almost hacker level stuff.

thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will stay with XP for now. It seems I still hear too many negatives about vista, I will wait for bugs to get worked out.

I'm not sure how much of a choice you will get. Most personal computers and laptops available for purchase right now will automatically come with Vista.

you are right, that is all I am finding right now. So it looks like I will give vista a go...

Whats is the minium package that runs A:M? 32 or 64 bit versions?

they will all run a:m. i can't think of any direct impact changing flavors of vista will have on running a:m.

for other uses, check this microsoft chart for the differences. it's mostly about networking and media handing.

i run vista premium x64, and have had only a little trouble finding the right drivers. most programs however, -- including a:m -- are 32 bit native, so there's no real need for x64 unless you desperately need 4 or more gigs of ram.

-jon

update: this page says windows x64 is about 10% faster than the 32 bit version. again, prolly not worth worrying about.

i run vista premium x64, and have had only a little trouble finding the right drivers. most programs however, -- including a:m -- are 32 bit native, so there's no real need for x64 unless you desperately need 4 or more gigs of ram.

So....if the program is 32 bit native (like AM) then it won't run on the 64 bit version of AM? Can a 32 bit OS be emulated by 64 bit OSes? I'd really like to go for 64 bit and be future proof for now.

And of course, for all this to work, I assume the processor needs to be 64 bit too.

yep, 32 bit programs -- including a:m -- run fine on vista x64.

when they have an x64 a:m, it won't run on a 32 bit os.

-jon

ok I am going to buy laptop tomorrow, I need last minute advice. Are the following good features. I need a laptop for 3d programs and video editing/dvd. I need to use laptop to help my Church make a dvd. The Church wants me to transport my desktop to church to work on dvd, and so I wanted a newer powerful laptop to help make dvd and to use at work to learn AM and video editing programs. Thanks for helping.

Enjoy your digital life on the go with the HP Pavilion DV9420US Laptop PC. View your media on the bright, crisp 17" WXGA screen, create personalized, silkscreen-quality CD and DVD labels with LightScribe technology — and even game in 3D!

Key Features & Benefits:

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-64

A fast-performing processor that won't slow you down

2048MB DDR2 System Memory

Use multiple applications without a decrease in performance

17" WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display

Provides a crystal-clear way in which to view your media

240GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

Store everything you need on this enormous hard drive

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

The most up-to-date operating system on the market

Additional Features

Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

2 main memory slots

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 graphics

Altec Lansing Audio

HP Software: Security and Support:Symantec Norton Internet Security8 (including 60 days complimentary live update), HP Total Care Help & Support Center, PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution),Wireless Home Network Productivity and Finance Microsoft Works Microsoft Office 2007 Student and teacherEdition: 60 Day Trial Version, Multimedia:Vongo, HP PhotoSmart Essentials,HP Quick Play Muvee AutoProducer Basic Edition,RealRhapsody,Roxio Creator 9 Basic, Adobe Acrobat Reader,SnapFish)

well, it's prolly too late, but other than my complete disgust with all this hp it sounds fine.

your marketing hype doesn't mention ram, but it most likely comes stock with 1 gig. get two.

-jon

Well I hope this laptop qualifies above suck anyway. I know it goes way beyond what I had. Here is the model and specs...

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Notebook with Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology

Model: dv9535nr

New Intel® Centrino® Duo processor technology with interrelated Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T5250, Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN network connection (802.11a/b/g/n) and extended battery life capability

2GB DDR2 memory for multitasking power; 667MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 1.5GHz processor speed

SuperMulti DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media; also supports LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media

The next-generation Intel® Core™2 Duo processor is based on the innovative Intel® Core™ microarchitecture, so it runs faster and is more energy-efficient for cooler, quieter operation

17" WXGA+ high-definition widescreen display with BrightView technology and 1440 x 900 resolution

240GB Serial ATA hard drive capacity (120GB x 2; 5400 rpm)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS graphics with 256MB dedicated video memory; up to 1GB total video memory

QuickPlay music and DVD buttons; HP Mobile remote and ear bud headphones included

HP ExpressCard Hybrid ATSC/NTSC TV tuner; Windows Vista remote and receiver; S-video output

Built-in HP Pavilion Web cam and integrated microphone make it easy to chat with family and friends

5-in-1 digital media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card media

IEEE 1394 port and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; high-speed 56 Kbps modem

Weighs 7.7 lbs. and measures just 1.6" thin for portable power; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter

Long-lasting HP Imprint high-gloss finish in Radiance ripple pattern; backlit media control panel

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with HP Photosmart Essentials, muvee autoProducer DVD Basic Edition, Roxio Creator 9 Basic and more

Learn more about Windows Vista

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited

Product Height 1.6"

Product Width 15.2"

Product Weight 7.7 lbs.

Product Depth 11.7"

Processor Brand Intel® Core2 Duo Mobile

Processor Speed 1.5GHz

Display Type WXGA+ high-definition widescreen with BrightView technology (1440 x 900)

Screen Size 17"

System Bus 667MHz

Cache Memory 2MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM) 2GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To Nonexpandable

Type of Memory (RAM) DDR2

Hard Drive Type Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

Hard Drive Size 240GB

Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Optical Drive Speeds Drive speeds not available

Direct-Disc Labeling Yes

Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader

Diskette Drive No

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

Video Memory 256MB (dedicated); up to 1GB (total)

Personal Video Recorder (PVR) Yes

TV Tuner Yes

MPEG Yes

Modem 56 Kbps*

*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN network connection (802.11a/b/g/n)

S-Video Outputs 1

Audio Altec Lansing

Speakers Built-in

PCMCIA Slots 1 ExpressCard 34/54

USB 2.0 Ports 4

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 1

Parallel Ports None

Serial Ports None

Game Ports None

Notebook Weight Standard (more than 6 lbs.)

Battery Type Lithium-ion

Pointing Device Touchpad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad

Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium

Included Software Microsoft Works; Adobe Acrobat Reader; Hewlett-Packard QuickPlay, Photosmart Essentials; muvee autoProducer Basic Edition; Roxio Creator 9 Basic and more

Included Accessories HP Mobile remote and ear bud headphones

I purchased at Best Buy. I hope it works out.....thanks to everyone who gave some advice..

I have a question about vista. I tried AM on a system with and everything seemed to work fine except when I went to orbit in the perspective window. It seemed to drag real bad. Has anyone had this happen?

I am looking at buying a quad system with vista but I need it to rock and roll. no dragging, must work fast. LOL

I could also install xp if I had to but hopefully i might not have to.

I seen that no one really had any bad issues in the posts so maybe its just a simple thing.

tx

I have a question about vista. I tried AM on a system with and everything seemed to work fine except when I went to orbit in the perspective window. It seemed to drag real bad. Has anyone had this happen?

I am looking at buying a quad system with vista but I need it to rock and roll. no dragging, must work fast. LOL

I could also install xp if I had to but hopefully i might not have to.

I seen that no one really had any bad issues in the posts so maybe its just a simple thing.

tx

I am still very newbie to AM, but so far everthing I have done in Am on the Vista Home premium works great, also my workings are very (rookish) if that is a word.