Hash, Inc. Forums

Light darken's model

bighop

I'm just not getting this light thing.

I made a space type ship.

In modeling mode, I added a light in the center of the ship. I wanted the light to shine out.

The light shines out but the model turned black.

Is this normal?

I trashed the first model and starting again. I was in model mode, bones mode when I added the light. I shaded it in model mode.

I just didn't know if that was common when putting a light inside an object.

I just didn't know if that was common when putting a light inside an object.

This is normal when you add a light inside a model. The light in the model overrides the light that usually comes from the camera, so the light in the model is now the only light source. To see how the model looks when lit, you could add another light outside the model and delete it when you're done modeling, or you could put the model into a choreography and look at it there.

Ahhh...that makes sense. 3d max does the same thing, I should have known. Also, I want to clear up my last post.....I didn't trash the model because of the light.....if you get my drift.

The next one is coming along just fine.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Ouh, yeah (HI!), 3DS Max does the same thing but all the time, I mean, both in realtime previews and final rendes, and here I only can get this kind of lighting works in the realtime view...

So... have you experimented the same problem? I mean, when you add a light into a Model, in the viewer you can see how the default "global" light is disabled and that is OK cause is that you can expect, but when you render, all the lights (Default light + Custom Lights) are again illuminating the Model so it appears over-illuminated, or double-illuminated or however be called, and of course without dark parts cause the default light...

Well, it's probably better explained HERE and I don't know what to do to can obtain the results I want cause it seems that there is no way that default light be definitely turned "Off", and since you (at least) seem to be using this kind of lighting, well... any help or clue, if possible, it'd be very appreciated, THANKS!