Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Proportionally modified Thom

DaVinci's ideally proportional man (Vitruvian) was used as a roto to modify Thom into a more current "generic man" (note the beer belly).

Vitruvian_Thom.jpg

I have yet to rig him, but will probably be using 2001 skeleton, as I don't need the complexity or options of the squetch rig. He will have no mouth, eyes, ears, hands, or feet, other than what you see here...

I used a "pencil sketch" trial with bitmap plus to get his basic texture... My character needs no more... though I'd like to figure out how to disguise the seam down the middle of his torso.

What I'd like to get is some feed back as to his general appearance, whether you can "relate" to him or not and general "feelings" about the character.

ie. Does he seem like "everyman?"

how do you "feel" about him.. ?

is he odd in some way?

he shouldn't stand out much... just everyman...

untitled.mov

please let me know.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since you are making a 'generic' man, maybe flatten out this hands to give them a 'mittens' look. Set up a basic hand rig so his 'mittens' can fold around objects. That way he can interact with objects better. And also they'd match the look and feel of his feet.

I raised his forehead a bit... is it enough.. maybe not... see the above mov. (it has been replaced)

Mark,

I agree with the hands... Though there won't be much interaction.. .perhaps carrying a briefcase, or moving an object or two on his desk.

Good idea! I couldn't resist, Charlie. :D

Thomson, (son of Thom). Just moved a few CPs about and adjusted the back bones, neck bone, head bone and thigh bones. No re-rigging.

Man! It's been a while since I last tried the 2001 rig and I must say I wouldn't go back to it. If nothing else it gives you the motivation to learn something about rigging.

Now that the rig is in roughly the correct position you could carry on modifying the shape of the limbs and add features to the head. Just assign the new CPs on the head to the head bone. Better still would be to carry on with your own Thom mutation because you will learn more and find it more satisfying.

Man! It's been a while since I last tried the 2001 rig and I must say I wouldn't go back to it. If nothing else it gives you the motivation to learn something about rigging.

Thanks for rigging him Paul! I'll study your rig later.... right now, in order to "learn something about rigging" I have to start somewhere... might as well be from the TAO A:M tute on "Show some backbone" with the 2001 rig... Especially, since I used boneless Thom to start.

Someday, I may move up to the Squetch rig... but, baby steps first...

I didn't rig him. I just moved a few of the bones in Thom's 2001 rig so that they align better with the new position of his joints.

Okay! now I really have reason to study him before boning mine... I like the "head" on Your Thomson... I need to round out the back of the head on mine a bit more.

Heads will roll!

well, not really... but I was lookibng at the head in a chor from many angles to see what it looked like.... this is what came out...

Watch it fast... get ill!

frame shuttle through it, and you can see the head from many angles which was the point of the chor.

weird_head.mov

And now..... My generic Thom has undergone some changes... he had become a generic female.... Still have to work on her head a bit more... but she's getting there...

NOTE:

This IS NOT the previously mentioned "change" he was going to go thru... I just needed a "generic woman" to fill out scenes.

I don't know how she'll animate... as it is just generic man's skin... stretched into a skirt and hair. Probably won't animate worth a darn.. so I'll probably have to change it. But this is the look I'm going for...

360her.mov

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

UPDATED....Better?

the chest looks very weird...

other than that it looks good!

Yeah, well, I had to look up "A-line dresses" in google images... True enough... apparently, A-line dresses cause uni-boob syndrome... the effect whereby the breastal area of the female form has no visible cleavage and becomes a horizontal bump the width of the chest. Will fix tomorrow am. And it makes sense I guess, since I'm going for generic woman.

I've updated the female... I think I need help with her face... and Idunno what else...Need input!

Update

Nope... Scrapping this version of Her... especially after this...

Heads dont work well when you pull the head mesh to make phake hair.... even helmet hair...

360herhead.mov