Hash, Inc. Forums

Alexis - New Character

Here is my latest character named Alexis

It's composited over a photograph a friend took for me of a beach, the rest is pure A:M with no touch ups ;)

Comments are most welcome - I posted this here in the wip as well as the stills because I'll be posting other poses and such in this thread so keep an eye out.

*Edit - Updated with new render of fixed bellybutton - thanks for the heads up the_black_mage

post-4760-1186414501_thumb.jpg

since you posted her in the wip section, here's a very subtle annoyance with an otherwise excellent model:

her shoulders, forearms, and wrists seem thick in comparison to her neck and torso.

is this a stylistic decision? i really don't think anyone who isn't ocd would mention this. ' ' )

overall, it's an excellent result!

-jon

@phatso - Thanks! B)

@jon - Thanks for commenting - She was to be stylized but I didn't intentionally make her have thick wrists etc. This was just the result that I liked. I went back to try and modify it after reading the comments about the wrists and it just didn't look right to me. So she's staying as is :D

@PeterS - Thanks - The hair was a 6 patch plane which I UV'ed/stamped and positioned. I then cloned and styled the rest of the 'strands' to fit her hair style.

@paradymx - Thanks. For the lighting, I used a 3 bulb light setup, two on her left and one on the right with a hint of reds and blue tints casting shadows. I then set on global ambience with an intensity of 100% and occlusion of 80% with 10% sampling.

@the_black_mage - I've attached wires to her - the belly button was due to some reversed normals that I didn't notice, it's fixed now.

@Mr. Jaqe - haha thanks!

The wireframe shots are just screen caps. For some reason I couldn't render out the wires, I even took into v14 and tried... it crashed when I tried to render wireframes... so here are some dirty screens

post-4760-1186412703_thumb.jpg

You definately could cut back on a lot of the splines.

that was my first impression, but i only see real oversplinage™ in the head, and maybe the lower torso (belly/back).

keep on truckin'!

-jon

I agree with the over splinage comments. If you were showing more muscle and bone diefinition it would be fine, but she isn't nearly "toned" enough to need that many spline. Other than that it's beautifully modeled.

The wireframe shots are just screen caps. For some reason I couldn't render out the wires, I even took into v14 and tried... it crashed when I tried to render wireframes... so here are some dirty screens

What are you using mac or pc? I use a mac and I know that when I first started using AM I couldn't render anything but finals. (imagine that when trying to do animation and check your work!!!) But it was due to my graphics card the factory installed Geforce couldn't render fully in AM I had to get a ATI card.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the great replies and feedback

I've taken all of them into consideration and modified her mesh. I've cut down quite a bit on the splines and reworked some areas that I thought needed it.

I've also discarded the mapped hair and used particle driven hair now.

I have applied her amazonian rags and will later model her sword and shield.

I've attached a new quick render of her... the lighting was a bit off and made her a little bright but it'll do for now to show a closer view.

I've also created a quick walk animation. It's a bit rough but I wanted to see if she would deform properly in movement. There's no smartskin applied yet, and dont think I'll use it much at all. I've mainly used fan bones and CP weighting to get the current results. She also has a few dynamic constraints applied but they are very subtle for secondary movement.

I'd appreciate any feedback

On a final side question - I'd like to know if anyone knows of a way to have non-destructive mapping. for instance, say you have UV'ed a face and do some tweaks later on. Deleting splines etc. Is it some way possible to bring up the stamp with the updated mesh? or add the CPs and splines into the stamp rather than having to reflatten the mesh?

Many Thanks

post-4760-1188923316_thumb.jpg

Alexis_Walk.mov

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a simple sword slash animation just for fun

Sword model was thrown together so it has no details or textures

Her hair has no collision so it goes through her face in the beginning...

Other than that - let me know what you think

Also - does anyone know if there is a way to preroll dynamic constraints?

Sword_Slash.mov

Maybe not so much slow as not enough followthru - a real sword would have enough momentum that she'd have to work to stop the swing.

In addition to hair problem, jugs peek thru the cloth covering them...not that I'm complaining. :wub:

Are you using V14? I think it has automatic preroll.

Thanks for the comments

@Zaryin- I actually sped up the swing, as it was even slower than that. Guess she needs a bit more?

@phatso- I see your point. I may add some more to the end of it so that she slows down some. I'll resolve that peek issue by altering my weighting. Or maybe covering the woman up more B)

I didn't see any preroll... as you can tell at the beginning the dynamics throw themselves further than it should. Could anyone confirm an auto preroll in a test?