Hash, Inc. Forums

Getting my car crushed

agep

Hi all

I've recently revisited the transformers model of mine, and at the same time been testing some motion tracking. It was a pain in the bu** to make that thing move, since the rig I made for him is really bad:p

Let me know what you think

Best regards

Stian

The animation:

transformers.mov

A single frame from the animation:

transformers_frame.jpg

tranformer.gif

Stian:

I seem to remember you said you were working on something "Big" and that we would see it soon? Did I hear wrong? When are you going to let us in on it? Btw, which book is the Bismark going to be in? When will it be published?

Nice work on the clip!

Cheers...

Eric

Haha, that kick made me laugh. Not because it looked bad, but because it looked like a four year old who was angry at something and reacted by kicking it. Again, that's not a bad thing, it actually fit in quite nicely.

As mentioned above, the walk could use some work, but it it was some really good CG action, that's for sure.

Cheers,

J

What? No glass shattering? Boooo, boooo, boooo.. what a lousy shot..........well........I guess it could happen.....yeah maybe.....actually its not bad...... yeah its OK.....well, in fact, it's pretty good................yeah, it's damn good.....fantastic.....hooorayyy :D

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Excellent job Stian. Totally envious of your modelling, animation and lighting skills.

Having bucket seats for feet must be murder for keeping the upholstery clean! :lol:

What did you use for your camera tracking? I've played with Icarus and it seemed to work fairly well.

Al

Okay, Stian... That's it! I've been reserving this. It is the highest compliment given (in other venues)... But I mean it here from the bottom of my heart.

You Suk!

Just in case something might get lost in translation:

That means I am jealous, that means it is enviable work, that means I wish I could do that, that means I like it...

Why, in short, I guess it means...

You Suk!

Stian,

Fantastic as usual. You really set the bar high. It does seem that the weighting is a little off though. I would think that a 2000 pound chunk of metal probably wouldn't most that fast/smoothly, but then again, I haven't seen the transformers movie, so maybe that is normal for these things.

Doug

Thank you so much for all the kind words!

Youtube it....and AM:Films of course.
I will

I seem to remember you said you were working on something "Big" and that we would see it soon? Did I hear wrong? When are you going to let us in on it? Btw, which book is the Bismark going to be in? When will it be published?
The only "big" thing I'm working on right now is TWO, which I really enjoy :) The Tirpitz model is printed in the book "Tirpitz - Hitlers siste slagskip" (translated it means: "Tirpitz - Hitlers last battleship")

Here is a link to the book. You can see a few sample-pages showing the 3D model:

>>Tirpitz book review

The models and the compositing are great! The animation could use more emphasis on weight and that first punch is a bit difficult to read. Also wouldn't the windscreen pop?
Thanks. As mention, the rig is really hard to animate with (and not to forget that my animation skills are very limited). I was planning to crush the windows, but I never found the time to figure out a way to do it. Lets just say they are laminated safety glass? lol

holy dang that's amazing...I don't think anything is a bad rig if you can get a model to expand like that..how'd you rig that?
The rig is just a simple joint to joint rig. But due to all the weird parts the car consists of, almost every bone got some kind of manipulator limits

What did you use for your camera tracking? I've played with Icarus and it seemed to work fairly well.
I used PFHoe2 which I bought a few months ago

Won't the owner of the little blue car be a bit upset that you totalled it for the live action shot?

Oh, it was CG?

;)

Rock on, man! That was awesome! Only crit is that the attacked car doesn't rock much at all with the blows. Other then that, that was AWESOME! :D

Haha! That was great! I agree the ani seemed a little choppy, since it still goes on when the sound of the transformation is already over. I would have liked some flying glass also. Man, that was excellent. How'd you crumple the car?

I was planning to crush the windows, but I never found the time to figure out a way to do it.

How about adding the windows in an action or in the choreography? Then you can have two sets of windows. The standard set and a fractured set made up of many small pieces that explode in another action. You then just swap the windows on the desired frame and have the action start on the next frame. Just a thought. ;)

I have a feeling that Steffen Gross wrote a plugin to explode objects. There is always Newton to play around with too.

I was planning to crush the windows, but I never found the time to figure out a way to do it.

How about adding the windows in an action or in the choreography? Then you can have two sets of windows. The standard set and a fractured set made up of many small pieces that explode in another action. You then just swap the windows on the desired frame and have the action start on the next frame. Just a thought. ;)

I have a feeling that Steffen Gross wrote a plugin to explode objects. There is always Newton to play around with too.

yeah like that explode rebuild plugin!

Fantastic, just fantastic!

Is that HDRI lighting or global color or what?!

Could you tell us how the lighting and rendering was done?

PLEEAAASSEEE!!!!!!!

Greetings,

Elm.

Thank you so much for the compliments. They mean a lot to me

Fantastic, just fantastic!

Is that HDRI lighting or global color or what?!

Could you tell us how the lighting and rendering was done?

PLEEAAASSEEE!!!!!!!

Greetings,

Elm.

Since I didn't use any HDRI maps in this I settled with global color, so the setup is quite simple. However, the custom made environmentmap plays a big role in integration of the models into the video. The background video is actually filmed with my cellphone. Then I held my phonecamera while filming in 360 degrees trying to cover both the ground and sky. After that I took the 360 video, exported a few frames from every second using QT. I imported the exported frames into a small app called autostitch. The autostitch result was a ok latitude/longitude map of the whole environment. After some PS fixing I had a nice environmentmap. The whole sequence took 75hr to render on 3 computers

So - do I get you right:

U rendered with ambience occlusion, global color? What was the color? And what were your AO settings?

And: You covered "everything" in the scene with that envitronment Map? What about its opacity?

Did you do any compositing, or was it rendered in one beauty-pass?

And: Just a little bit of constructive critique:

You could have done a reflection map for nicer ground reflections.

Once again - outstanding work, brrrrrrilliant!

Thanks in advance for answering my questions,

greetings,

Elm.

Gotta love autostitch. It's a very nice app to use if you wish to create a basic one frame environment-"dome" and works especially well if you add motionblurr to the camera if you plan on rotating in the dome. Of course, modeling the place would look better, but it would take about five thousand times the ammount of time xP

J