Hash, Inc. Forums

Iron Man--Recently Resurrected

LeeAnderson

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two quick background modeling fixes I picked up on pretty quickly - one, the jackhammer's handle is floating off the ground; two, the large curved piece of sheetmetal on the right is also floating at the top left edge. Ok, three - the girders on the bridge like construction don't look like they are fastened together, they just look stacked like a house of cards. Nothing to nit pick on your model though.

Job Ad:

Do you have the qualifications to be a 3d animator - YES

Are you the best damned modeller with AM - YES

Then we want you!!!

Thst's perfect, and if you enter that into the mascot contest, I will buy the upgrade just because of your iron man (If he wins which he probably would!)

Nice look John! I'm all about pushing this as far as it can--I used several of your suggestions in this next "stage"

Are you guys familiar with the work of Alessandro Baldasseroni? He's a character modeler but his post work can't be beat.

Thanks Al! I don't know either, and the entry wouldn't legally be able to have any of these post effects :(

Hey thanks Darkwing, those are some hefty compliments your throwing around and I appreciate it!

I'm a comic book nut. An you did one heck of a job on it. I am very very impressed. An more pumped about modeling.

Thanks! Modeling is a lot of fun and I hope that you continue to find ways to get pumped about it :D

There are two quick background modeling fixes I picked up on pretty quickly - one, the jackhammer's handle is floating off the ground; two, the large curved piece of sheetmetal on the right is also floating at the top left edge. Ok, three - the girders on the bridge like construction don't look like they are fastened together, they just look stacked like a house of cards. Nothing to nit pick on your model though.

Thanks for pointing those out Eric! The sheet metal has 3 or 4 other points where it touches the ground, but if it's confusing to you then if will probably be confusing to everyone else. The jackhammer is touching the ground I swear! It doesn't look like it though...maybe I'll double check. You're totally right about the bridge girders! I did fix all of these things in the post version though. I may go back and fix them in A:M later, but I think they look good this way.

Alright here's another post--I love getting your input! Is this almost ready to submit to CGtalk?

ironman4.jpg

Lee

That's not a final render, is it? And to answer your question, it was ready for cgtalk when it was just a leg!

Oh, BTW, how do you render a wireframe view?

In the options tab on the render to file box, click on the word "Final" at the very top right and change you can change your options from there. Thanks again!

He looks washed out in your last one. You've got the haloing going on all around his body, and something is really messed up by his feet.

Hmm...that's interesting...this one was my favorite (maybe I went overboard). Also what is messed up by the feet? On Iron Man or on the ground?

Matt is right, this one is very grainy. The previous one looks better. Is there something not quite right with the way the chain is connedted to the beam? The angle at the connection point?

lol, dang Eric why do have to wait until my poor computer has rendered for 9 hours to point out these things :D In all seriousness though, I appreciate you looking into this so thoroughly. There could be something wrong, but I'm not sure what it was. Modeling the chain was tricky and it was easier to focus on trying to get all of the links to match up than to think about the physics of it. Does it need to be straighter?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming...here's a new one--

ironman5.jpg

EDIT: #6 (lol...I can't stop playing with it!)

ironman6.jpg

Thanks a lot guys!

Lee

I know how hard it is to stop messing with a good thing, but since we're past that point ;) I just thought it would be great to replace that big shiny rock in the left corner with a water puddle??? :P

That's enough... submit it already...sheesh...

I know how hard it is to stop messing with a good thing, but since we're past that point ;) I just thought it would be great to replace that big shiny rock in the left corner with a water puddle??? :P

That's enough... submit it already...sheesh...

Haha! When you're right you're right... (and when you hit the refresh rate every 2 minutes, that's downright obsessive)

I'm submitting now... Thanks Dhar :D

Lee

I wouldn't dare look for a single fault in it, Lee! You've done a tremendous job with it and should feel really proud!

Thanks Mark, and I am proud of it!

That was my favorite too. Must have to do with different monitor gamma settings. Your last one (#6) looks like a winner to me though.

Thanks for backing me up Yves... I figure if it looks good on your computer then my gamma settings must be pretty close.

UPDATE

Hey everybody Iron Man is on CGTalk --it's a shameless plug, I know... so eveybody go give it 5 stars... I mean...uh... eveybody go see--thanks again for your support!

Lee

I popped in over at CGTalk and gave you 5 stars. Great job, Lee.

I saw that someone, of course, made the CGTalk-required "You did this with Hash?" comment. I bet no one saw that coming. :lol:

lol...yeah...and the even more required: "is it more stable?" question. If it wasn't stable, there would have been no way to finish this picture...

Fantastic image Lee,I now have this this as my desktop image.

Also having it there gives me a kick up the backside to try and do better with my modeling.

Jay

Thanks Jay, I actually made it wallpaper sizeable from your request... I hope you enjoy it too Darkwing!

i love this work :o

Thanks Luis!

Well I'm actually working on the tin head now...getting him rigged and ready for the mascot contest...

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay, I've been away for a while, and Rodney told me to check out this thread.

WOW! Great job on the model Lee!!

I know how it is working with the old red and gold armored guy and the armor you've modeled is quite the complex set of duds! The final render is nicely done (although I prefer a little more red and gold personally) and is top quality!

Would love to see War Machine created by you. ;)

- pjc

• 2 years later...
Thanks for the compliments Eric, Paul, Rusty, David and Mike! I don't know if it quite deserves it, but thanks the same!

Wonderful scene. Put it over at CGtalk if no one has suggested it yet.

Thanks Robert, I'm planning on it! Hopefully it'll get some good attention!

Fantastic Lee.

The eyes feel a little low to me, but that's being nitpicky. I've never spent anything like this amount of time and complexity on a model.

Beautiful :)

Thanks John! I think the problem in the eyes is being caused by perspective. Looking back on it, the forehead might be a little too high... Well, I'm not sure if I want to mess with it too much.

There are several problems I see with your rendering, like if you look at foot it's all... just kidding. Nice work.

You had me going Matt!

UPDATE

Well, this could be the last update. Here's the finished render:

ironman.jpg

1600 X 1280 (wallpaper size :D )

Multipass 16 X 16

AO, Relfections, Patch counts well into the 100,000's (yes, I modeled the pebbles)

Time: 4 hr 24 m

And the wire:

wire0.jpg

If you have critiques on the model itself this is the WRONG time to give them ;) What I need advice on is post stuff. Do I need to do any post? So far, all I did was correct one black spot on Iron Man's face, the rest is straight from A:M. I'm thinking I'll call it good though, and post it to CGTalk. Just wanted to ask your opinions first.

Thanks, couldn't have finished it without all of your support!

Lee

Just stumbled upon this guys work. Its incredible. What happened to him.