Hash, Inc. Forums

B-25

Hi guys. Thank you so much for voting on my image on the image contest. I would really appreciate your comments and crits on this model. I've also attached the wire of it and an additional testrender. The model counts 26203 patches

Let me know

Best regards

Stian

The CGTalk thread

B25_Imagecontest_Stian.jpg

note: This image is historically incorrect!

B25_Bismarck_Stian.jpg

B25_Imagecontest_Wire.jpg

Animation Master bombing the nazis! love it!

Seriously, it is really hard to find any criticisms for this. Your wireframe geometry is impecable (sp?) and your render is easily mistaken for a photo. It is hard to find any give away except I've never seen the a:m logo on a plane.

Economy of splines in every facet...um, wait, I've done the impossible,,,detected a surplus, a waste of splines in Stian's work???? Yes, there it is...the tires....egads, the tires and rims are bursting with superfluous splines....

Seriously, love your work!!!! Awesome!!!!

Eric

p.s. How did you make the smoke around the Bismark?

Stian,

Your model is INFREAKINGCREDIBLE! The beauty with which you modeled her is nothing short of amazing.

I voted for it.

Now for the crits...

Too perfect.

In the second scene above, both the Bismarck and the b25 just came out of the showroom... not the shipyard nor the aircraft plant. I realize the pilot of the plane has tremendous pride in her, but he hasn't the time to polish her to such a degree. And those engines drip and spit oil. And the ship has not been at sea.

The water needs to reflect some of the explosion.

But man, those are beautiful models... I would find it near impossible to grunge them up... but they desperately need it for photorealism.

Stian, I simply cannot believe you are still looking for a job or carrer in A:M... your talent and abilities are incredible.

Oh, and I need the first render in 1280X1024 resolution... find a bit more grass would you... she'll be my desktop. Uh... please?... pretty please? I'm beggin here, man...

those are beautiful models... I would find it near impossible to grunge them up... but they desperately need it for photorealism.

Stian, I love your work but I have to agree with what Charlie is saying. A little, (or alot), of grime would push that action image to a new level.

I need the first render in 1280X1024 resolution...

I second that! :)

Maybe you could add a tub of wax polish and a cloth to explain the lack of grime. :D

I think you should have your five image contest wins painted under the cockpit too.

Excellent model m8, but I am inclined to agree that it needs some grime - it's way too shiny even for a yank plane :D

Now to bore you all stiff historically, but is that the Tirpitz that is being bombed? If so what the planes bombing it would be Lancasters, and if it was the Bizmarck they should be swordfish - now that would make a good model a Fairley swordfish.

I like the idea of putting you wins on the tail plane though, mind you I would I am a bit of a plane spotter :rolleyes:

BTW How long did it take to model and texture this beast? And how long did it take to render? Did you use image-based lighting?

Thank you guys. Yeah the plane could need some dirt yes

Now to bore you all stiff historically, but is that the Tirpitz that is being bombed? If so what the planes bombing it would be Lancasters, and if it was the Bizmarck they should be swordfish - now that would make a good model a Fairley swordfish.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the image is completly historically incorrect:p I just used what I had of models

Hi Stian,

Very nice job! There's so much to look at, your attention to detail is incredible. I'm really impressed by the chrome look.

The key is Environment map

What image type do you use for this Environment map, a regular 24-bit TGA or a hi-dynamic range OpenEXR (of which I'm still learning)? Any advice for using Env. maps? :D

-Jim

Thanks guys

What image type do you use for this Environment map, a regular 24-bit TGA or a hi-dynamic range OpenEXR (of which I'm still learning)? Any advice for using Env. maps? :D
I use HDR images (IBL). I've just bought Dosch Design - Extreme Hires and Car Backgrounds

BTW How long did it take to model and texture this beast? And how long did it take to render? Did you use image-based lighting?

You forgot to answer this bit, unless it is TOP SECRET ;)

I dont remember it exactly, but I think it took me about three weeks to make the model. The rendertime I think was a few hours

Hey Stian,

Thanks for the info! I have to investigate using these HDR images. :)

But I'm pretty sure I see the reflection of the wing on the plane too, did you use both an Env. map and also standard Reflection? If so I've never seen that done before either!

-Jim