Hash, Inc. Forums

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need to finish the roof and front now.

Great job on the NIXUS so far Viper. Started doing one myself (also in the WIP section). Not much done yet, but getting there.

Al

I seen. I loved the wheels u made for it. Could u send the wheel as a mdl to me. I would just like to seee how it would look on my nexis sins my side is almost all done. My email is on my profile.

Could u send the wheel as a mdl to me.

No problem. I have attached the model file here. I really need to re-work the spokes and eventually plan to add the tread using displacement maps.

Al

Nixus_Rear_Wheel.mdl

Thx but i cant import it to my model wat AM version u using cous im using v11

thats an amazing model so far.

are you using the bias handles? they're great for getting the right rounded edges you're looking for.

Also, there's a 5 point patch on the hood that's been stretched beyond it's limit and has a black line running down it.

cool car

thats an amazing model so far.

are you using the bias handles? they're great for getting the right rounded edges you're looking for.

Also, there's a 5 point patch on the hood that's been stretched beyond it's limit and has a black line running down it.

cool car

bias handles?? Whats that? and could u show me were that 5 point patch ur talking about is.

Bias handles allow you to adjust the magnitude and direction of any spline point, making modeling strange surfaces less of a pain. The bias handle itself is a yellow manipulator that appears once you activate the show bias handles button on the main toolbar. They would definitely make the smoothing a lot easier, but use them only after you have the entire shape of the car down and the majority of your smoothing already done by simple modeling.

The 5 point patch is at the steep curve on the front end of your car. You can see the subtle black line accross the center of the 5 point patch which shows that it's distorting. It doesnt look like much now, but once you add reflections, this patch will do some crazy things.

post-8217-1185558349_thumb.jpg

Bias handles allow you to adjust the magnitude and direction of any spline point, making modeling strange surfaces less of a pain. The bias handle itself is a yellow manipulator that appears once you activate the show bias handles button on the main toolbar. They would definitely make the smoothing a lot easier, but use them only after you have the entire shape of the car down and the majority of your smoothing already done by simple modeling.

The 5 point patch is at the steep curve on the front end of your car. You can see the subtle black line accross the center of the 5 point patch which shows that it's distorting. It doesnt look like much now, but once you add reflections, this patch will do some crazy things.

wow ya about that 5 point patch i did not know wat to do about that so i thout it will be ok if i leav it how it is. I use distortion mode to get the shape down. Thx for the tips i will try all wat u said and see how it goes.

About that long 5 point patch...if you keep the patch a small as possible and as flat as possible, it won't give you any trouble. I haven't really scrutinized your splinage, but you might run an extra spline to make the 5 pointer smaller and then hook the extra spline. Just a thought on the fly. You really have become much better. Great job.

The model is coming alone really nicely. Before you know it, you will have an awesome car model to play with B-).

Here is one piece of splinework I think you should avoid. Those 2 splines merging together as circled in the attachment will always

leave unwanted creases. A better approach is to reroute the lower spline and turn that 3 point patch into a 4 pointer as shown.

post-6871-1185930326_thumb.jpg

post-6871-1185930334_thumb.jpg

The model is coming alone really nicely. Before you know it, you will have an awesome car model to play with B-).

Here is one piece of splinework I think you should avoid. Those 2 splines merging together as circled in the attachment will always

leave unwanted creases. A better approach is to reroute the lower spline and turn that 3 point patch into a 4 pointer as shown.

Now dont laugh but i forgot how to doo a hook. o ya and thx for pointing that out to me. iI will do that as soon as i find out how to do hooks again..

I also noticed that just over and left of the area I suggested using a hook, there seems to be a 5-point patch that looks like a 4-pointer with an extra cp in the middle on the bottom. You should consider deleting that extra cp and using a hook there as well, or else you will get a weird distortion in that area. 5-point patches should really only be used when you integrate an edge/spline loop into a rectangular mesh (i.e. wherever you put a hole)

I gotta say, though, the model is looking great so far. I am very impressed.

I also noticed that just over and left of the area I suggested using a hook, there seems to be a 5-point patch that looks like a 4-pointer with an extra cp in the middle on the bottom. You should consider deleting that extra cp and using a hook there as well, or else you will get a weird distortion in that area. 5-point patches should really only be used when you integrate an edge/spline loop into a rectangular mesh (i.e. wherever you put a hole)

I gotta say, though, the model is looking great so far. I am very impressed.

Y thx but how to do a hook i rember i think i did left then right clike or somthin like that. Could someone tell me how.

How is this better or no? Dan.

post-8916-1185994638_thumb.jpg

Once again, at those locations with creases, you have 2 splines merging into one. That's always a crease-maker. Change it so those splines do not

merge, and you'll be set. You might want to examine the model closely for other areas you may have merged splines and fix.

post-6871-1186329775_thumb.jpg

Once again, at those locations with creases, you have 2 splines merging into one. That's always a crease-maker. Change it so those splines do not

merge, and you'll be set. You might want to examine the model closely for other areas you may have merged splines and fix.

THX arkaos thats great help i will try fixing the creases my self.

Here are a couple of more suggestions. Create 5 point patches as shown and remove the spline sections I have marked with a squiggly. Move circled cps over to create a more even distrubution of splines. Remember, the longer and skinnier you make a patch, the harder it will be to create a smooth surface.

Sometimes is takes a lot of patience and perseverance when modeling. When you get the mesh as smooth as humanly possible, add a 'Porcelain' material to force the mesh into a higher degree of smoothness.

Great looking model so far. I can't wait until you finish. Are you planning on using it in an animation?

post-6871-1186333978_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of more suggestions. Create 5 point patches as shown and remove the spline sections I have marked with a squiggly. Move circled cps over to create a more even distrubution of splines. Remember, the longer and skinnier you make a patch, the harder it will be to create a smooth surface.

Sometimes is takes a lot of patience and perseverance when modeling. When you get the mesh as smooth as humanly possible, add a 'Porcelain' material to force the mesh into a higher degree of smoothness.

Great looking model so far. I can't wait until you finish. Are you planning on using it in an animation?

ya maybe a simple one. I model most of the time. Im not good wen it comes to the animation part but can do it. O ya and thx again for taking ur time to try help me out. :)

btw a quick question what cd do you have?

i sent too btw, just to let you know when you see it might be a duh moment...when i opened it and looked at i again i realized i had way over complicated it lol...and so has every one else cause they didn't see the whole part...you'll see what i mean....

btw a quick question what cd do you have?

i sent too btw, just to let you know when you see it might be a duh moment...when i opened it and looked at i again i realized i had way over complicated it lol...and so has every one else cause they didn't see the whole part...you'll see what i mean....

Ya thx I got it back thats great. Well like I said I will try my self to so I did and this is how I fixed it. O ya and i have A:M 2005 v11 is that wat you mean by wat CD.

post-8916-1186369917_thumb.jpg

whats the image on your cd?

btw after seeing your model i'm excited about the render!

btw if you around half way done..why can't you just copy/flip/attach it?

I did but still half way done. Why dont u try to render the one i gave ya to fix. Try making it look like the chrome blue one on the pic. the picture is a witch on my CD.

post-8916-1186375978_thumb.jpg