Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

animation bug

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is good that you're doing practical animation studies, Joseph. That's the best learning tool.

One thing that is working against the 'believability' of your animation, is the proximity of the box to the model's hips. The heavier the item the closer we will bring it to the center of gravity (in this case being the hips). To maintain balance the center of gravity must be over our feet.

I hope this helps :)

post-5367-1184120861_thumb.jpg

It is good that you're doing practical animation studies, Joseph. That's the best learning tool.

One thing that is working against the 'believability' of your animation, is the proximity of the box to the model's hips. The heavier the item the closer we will bring it to the center of gravity (in this case being the hips). To maintain balance the center of gravity must be over our feet.

I hope this helps :)

I would tilt the box forward so I could get my hand under the box to prep for the lift, or the hands over the far edge like you have in the picture. Those heavy box tend to slide off easy by the side. To properly lift heavy object you would squat and let the legs do most of the work.

• Hash Fellow

That's a tough one! I can tell you that if that were an animation school exercise, several weeks would be spent on it, so we can hardly expect it to be perfect after the first few hours. It's good that you are animating again and this is a good start.

Dhar and Ruscular are homing in on a good point, that you want to create poses that really suggest the forces at work... gravity, his legs, his arms, his back. Grabbing the box by the sides is the easiest to make a CG character do but would be ineffective for a real person. I'd recommend acting this manuver out with an actual heavy box and see what you really have to do to lift it. Better yet, get someone else to injure themselves while you watch. ;)

It just so happens that in another thread (post #64)we were discussing someone else's heavy lift and why it didn't look convincing. It has some similar issues.

I'm not an expert, but it is on its way to being really good. There's a bit of reality in it because of some of the movements, making it feel like it has some force, and i think that if you implement what dhar and ruscula have said, it will be really believable. Great work so far!