Hash, Inc. Forums

Ladybug Confusion!

true. and also do more than just a light shining above.

heres what you do...

1. make that light you have a spot light, change the shadows to z-buffered, change the shadow darkness to your liking, then set the shadow smoothness to any ware from 50 to 100%, also turn off specularity. also do have it just above make it angled...

2. make a second light behind it(everything), i would prefer a bulb light. in its options turn off every thing but specularity. then change the light intensity to 1000% or higher.

3. next in the lady bugs shell options. change the bugs specularity intensity to 10% and its size to 2000% or over. you can do the same to the eyes too.

4. in the render settings (in the tools tab) goto plug-in shaders and select oren naylar. no need to change the setting here.

5. some focal blur could help as well...when you turn it on you'll find two purple lines on the camera move those to determine the focal distance, this adds a nice blur to the background that add focus to the scene...

what i just listed should give you this effect

post-8313-1183941362_thumb.jpg

but heres the thing i really think the scene needs...an environment, just sitting on a plane doesn't really cut for a ground. you know what I'm saying?

hope that helps... :D

Those lady bugs are HUGE! Or that's just a really small flower. Might want to rethink the scale.

They are called micro-flower flowers that only insect can see. I know you heard of micro-fish, and you need a magnifying glasses just to see the fishing hole. I am sure you heard of micropile on the insect they are...............never mind.....you dont want to know what they are.

I would add some antennae to the ladybugs, that seems to be the thing missing from the characters to me.

Also, some tweaks to show sense of scale would help. Maybe blades of grass, or maybe a more dramatic camera angle.

Ok I have a great idea!! I am going to have big blades of grass, with one ladybug on the top of the blade of grass. A huge red flower with black polka dots will be in front of it. The lady bug will be staring at the camera with a confused look on her face. Btw, any suggestions on how I can do the big blades of grass? Could hair work, or would I have to model each individual grass?

Ok I have a great idea!! I am going to have big blades of grass, with one ladybug on the top of the blade of grass. A huge red flower with black polka dots will be in front of it. The lady bug will be staring at the camera with a confused look on her face. Btw, any suggestions on how I can do the big blades of grass? Could hair work, or would I have to model each individual grass?

A large dark green strip with a sharp ridge in the middle with light green semi transparent hair particle over it. The blade itself could be translucent to let light shine through it.

A large dark green strip with a sharp ridge in the middle with light green semi transparent hair particle over it. The blade itself could be translucent to let light shine through it.

I like that idea, but the lighting would have to be perfect, to get it to look just right. Wouldn't it?

Are you also saying that I should put hair on the blade of grass? Wouldn't that look weird?

a tip about still images, keep simple...

focus on the one on the right and and flower ( zoom in on the two )

if you want to play on the idea on the size difference, lose the second lady bug on the left.

just my thoughts

Steve

Also, nice model Mage....is it yours?

yeah it is, i made it for the mario project, the arms are a bit long though....

if you want modeled grass all you have to do is make one curved blade of grass copy/paste/ and rotate it a few times then add it to the choreography multiple times....

cover up that horizon line in the back ground.

try adding focal blur to the back ground

the shell has no specularity(i believe it should)

the material on the grass is nice :)

like i said be more creative with the lighting...

don't bother with radiosity, i know it can make some nice renders but personally i think the scene is too cartoony for it...you have v13 right? you could use AO, that can always spice up render.

don't use a sun light use a big kleig, and use smooth shadows, if you get dark areas use low intensity bulb lights to lighten them.

also heres a similar image you might like...

600px-Ladybug_side.jpg

goto tools at the top then options, after that goto render settings. then turn on Depth of Field, after that hit ok. in the chor you should see purple squares on the camera(not the ones in the camera view), one is for frontal blue the other is background blur. cluck the squares to determine when the blur starts also make sure that the main square(the middle one) is centered on you focus object...then have both purple squares just hitting the ladybug...after that do a render, the further the object the more blur. after you do this you can focus on the bugs detail and not the backgrounds...

as you see the image in my last post have focal blur hitting the ladybug a little, you don't have to do that but just do what ever you think works....

Here is another image of the ladybug, but with more grass. Is it looking any better? I think the lighting is the only issue left. Doesn't it look too bright? Mage, thank you so much for helping me with this, and I will post of what I have done with the lights in the choreography.

post-10457-1184568097_thumb.jpg

ok like i said the above light isn't really working for me....

but the scene does look nice!

but the specularity is too low making it seem like an evening or early morning scene in which the tone would be diffrent.

but most of the time for out door scenes a glowing outline is used...

kinda adds a beauty effect...

heres a project file if it helps....

Outline.zip