Hash, Inc. Forums

Spaceman needs a name

So I'm working on a science fiction comic book and I can't think of a good name for the lead character. He's a member of the S.T.A.R. Force (Special Tactics Armored Rangers), and I'd like something with a old fashioned pulp sound to it like Flash Gordon, but I'm stumped. Any ideas?

post-7177-1183768713_thumb.jpg

Here he is after running him thru the comic book render that I'm planning on using.

post-7177-1183768725_thumb.jpg

Victor Valient

Pierce Barrows

Vance Armory

Bif Barlow

Hector Champion

Cliff Gideon

Dylan Goodman

Sawyer Phillips

Gordon Goodwell

Clint Langley

I like Goodman, but how about Guy as a first name?

Captain Guy Goodman of S.T.A.R. Force

Is good?

That is one great looking model.

Nice work!

Um, is this model and actual human under the armor?

if so, what's his deal? that would figure into the best name to give him/her?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Thanks to everyone for the responses. This has probably happened to everyone else too, but I had a name that I really liked and I did a google search on it, and the name was used by a radio DJ. Then I came up with another . . . taken. I was going for action hero with hidden puns in them, I got so fed up that I thought I'd ask everyone else. Here's the ones that I came up with.

Marv Ellis

Mel Strom

Rick O'Shea

Donny Brook

Ray Gunn

Ed Venture

When that didn't work I came up with a list of first and last names (taken from comic books and sci-fi novels) that fit the genre since I plan on there being lots of rangers , but nothing stood out. Maybe one of y'all see something I didn't.

First Names

Buck

Dean

Dirk

Drake

Frank

Justin

Lance

Nick

Truman

Ulysses

Victor

Wolfgang

Last Names

Black

Bolton

Blitzer

Crowe

Fox

Green

Hunter

King

Marshall

Masters

Maxwell

Queen

Springer

Storm

Cycle?

Amp?

Joule?

Watt?

When I read this, I thought of Jules (as in Verne) and Watt's a good last name, but together it just didn't have the right ring. I'll add them to the list.

Phlub Knob :D

Uhhh, not what I was looking for, but you get the most original award.

"Guy Goodman" sounds a bit too soft to me.

Perhaps something a bit more metallic.

Yeah, I'm not real happy with it either, but it was the at least fitting the genre.

Lance Walker ;)

Exactly the type of name that I'm looking for, but it has the same problem as those on the list in that it's so perfectly an action hero name that it doesn't stand out.

Max (Mechanical Artifical Xenomorph) Action

Wasn't there a Max Action cartoon? I know there was Max Steel, Mighty Max, the Maxx, yeah Max Action's taken. The main character in a Star comic book and toy line in the 80's called Animax.

That is one great looking model.

Nice work!

Um, is this model and actual human under the armor?

if so, what's his deal? that would figure into the best name to give him/her?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Thank ye.

He's mostly human under the armor. One of those gene-modified near human types.

F.U.S.S.E.E.=Field Unit Soldier / Server in Extreme Environment

nickname fussy!

Love it! With your permission I might use it for some alien soldiers.

I'm animating a character tentatively named Ray Tracing, so you can't have that one. (Now I'll probably find out someone's using it, so I can't have it either.) But "Ray" always works for a hi-tech hero.

I don't think you should be all that worried about a name being taken already. There's six and a half billion people on the planet, all with their own ideas, so the chances of you finding a name that isn't already taken, shouldn't be your greatest concern. As long as it's not copyrighted, or you don't plan to copyright, and you don't use a commonly known name like James T Kirk, you should be fine. And if he works for STAR, why not call him something along the lines of Star Striker? Maybe not that particular name, cause it sounds very familiar to me, but I think Striker could work as a last name. Keep this in mind too, the names that usually stand out are the ones that use alliteration in their name! Hope any of that helped!

As long as it's not copyrighted, or you don't plan to copyright, And if he works for STAR, why not call him something along the lines of Star Striker? Maybe not that particular name, cause it sounds very familiar to me, but I think Striker could work as a last name. Keep this in mind too, the names that usually stand out are the ones that use alliteration in their name! Hope any of that helped!

First of all, the forum folks are always helpful, and just in case I forgot, thanks to everyone that's been replying.

The problem is with the copyright issues, there is the possibility that I might try to copyright. Basically I came up with the idea of making a comic book using A:M and before I get into a huge project I wanted to create a trial run, which is why the character is such a simple one. However, if he goes over well, I thought I might toss him into the series as a background character. No reason to throw away all that work. About the name, I like Striker, but I still haven't made up my mind.

And here's an update on the aliens he'll be fighting in the comic. I haven't finished all the model, but it was far enough along to see if the concept was working. He's shown with and without the comic render. Oh, and the aliens already have a name. :P

post-7177-1183928994_thumb.jpg

The problem is with the copyright issues, there is the possibility that I might try to copyright.

Smarter folks than me might know different, but my understanding is that you can't copyright names. Names can be registered as trademarks, though.

If you go here, you can follow the links from "Trademarks" to do a search of registered trademarks and see if the name is already registered. This isn't a complete list, though, since like copyrights, you do not have to register your trademark. (Non-registered trademarks are identified with the "TM" symbol, while registered trademarks are identified with the "®" circle-r.)

That's true, because if names were copyrighted, than you'd have to pay a company for the name if you wanted to name your child that! That would be crazy!!! I say pick the name that you like the most and stick with it, none of the names that people have suggested are really ones that are to some popular character in a tv show or book or etc.