Hash, Inc. Forums

Something I've been workin on

I like where you're going with this one

Reminds me of the quality of character from boondocks

I do have to agree with the scale though - I would make the arms and neck a little thicker to better relate to the size of the legs

• Hash Fellow

I think he looks charming. Fine looking model!

The proportions dont' bother me, I think much will depend on how you animate him.

The hands may be too small for clear posing, but you'll find out either way.

Thanks for the responses guys.

The hands and neck were the hardest parts for me to get to look right. The hands are off the KeeKat model and I had a hard time making them look right, and the neck has some poorly placed hooks. Everytime I tried to scale it (the neck) I would get bad creases.

I had my nephew in mind when I made this model. He is 3 1/2 and has a chubby stomach with skinny and well defined arms (at least for his age). Part of the problem with the arms was there length. They were way to long and caused them to look to skinny. I decided to place them on his side to measure and scale them out.

Here is the wireframe of the (now) old model and a pic of the adjusted one. Sorry, I guess I could've used better lighting to show the changes but I'm impatient with rendering (even with how much faster v14 is) cuz i have an extremely slow computer.

Thanks again.

Edit: I also scaled down the stomach but I think I'm gonna put it back how it was. I think the thin stomach makes him look older than 3 or 4

sidewire.JPG

new1.JPG

Cartoon scales needn't be realistic. Ever look closely at the proportions of some manga characters?

People pick up very strong ideas of character from physical forms - in real life, much stronger than is justified. If the look of the arms and neck helps cue the viewer to the model's character (only Jirard would know at this point) then they are right.

• Hash Fellow
when I made this model. He is 3 1/2 and has a chubby stomach with skinny and well defined arms (at least for his age).

The wife-beater shirt made me think this was a caricature of a middle-aged guy. ;)

a great look!

i'd thicken the arms a bit, just so they're more visible. it depends on the background complexity, animation style, etc.

i don't see boondocks here, except for the fact that he's dark skinned.

-jon

I just wanted to say thanks to all those that responded. I decided to see what the model looks like when it is bended at most of the joints. Here is a pic of how it turned out. I definitely need to remodel the arms and hands. The main problem is to many splines. I have 8 sided cross sections when I only need 4-6. If I move 1 point it effects 4 or 5 that are next to it. After I fix that I will post the results. That will also help with widening the arm out. Also, after the rest of my nieces and nephews heard I made 1 of them they decided that all of them want me to make them to. I have 8 in all (including my daughter). I will post the results in this topic as I finish them.

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions.

hidef.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
offense to your work but...that kinda looks like Michel jackson....

the other one before that looks awesome though ^_^

Hahaha! thats funny! It does look like him. I didnt even realize that. Maybe I will tweek a few more things and change it up a bit.