Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Saving

phatso

Okay, this is prolly stupid, but... How does one save a .mov file? I have no trouble saving AVI files, but of course they're huge. (Just finished Ex. 6, it's 18meg) But when I try to do a compressed .mov file it only saves the last image rendered - not an animation.

So what exactly are the steps? You may be as condescending as you choose, and I'll deal with it, as long as I get the answer.

BTW I've tried it both with V13 and V14.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But when I try to do a compressed .mov file it only saves the last image rendered - not an animation.

So what exactly are the steps? You may be as condescending as you choose, and I'll deal with it, as long as I get the answer.

BTW I've tried it both with V13 and V14.

Not sure why you would be having a problem with .mov - should be a similar procedure as to avi: Render to file, select quicktime, set the name of file, choose the compression algorhythm (set) and set the values for compression or use default,

What are your compression settings? Make sure you've set a range of frames to be rendered as well

Did that. One other thing, if I'm trying to save a second or third render, it says something like "there already is a file by this name, you dummy, so pick another one." But it won't let me pick another one. The existing name goes blue, like it's ready to be erased or typed over, but it won't let me. Do I have to do it in the camera properties' options menu? (Which doesn't seem to work either.)

But when I try to do a compressed .mov file it only saves the last image rendered - not an animation.

Ok - still not sure what's going on, and it may be something going on with your computer config? - so many questions that would need to be asked & investigated: pc? version A:M (stick to 13s,t for now)? QT vers?, compression settings? disk space? happen only on 1 project? accidently trying to save .mov to the CD? ....etc, etc...can you show us screen grabs?

if I'm trying to save a second or third render, it says something like "there already is a file by this name, you dummy, so pick another one." But it won't let me pick another one. The existing name goes blue, like it's ready to be erased or typed over, but it won't let me. Do I have to do it in the camera properties' options menu? (Which doesn't seem to work either.)

No, shouldn't have to change it in camera options menu ...like I said: procedure should be same as rendering to avi.

As an experiment: Have you ever been able to create a .mov? if so rename it, (or delete it) and then try to render to origname.mov.

I have noticed a problem similiar with specific chor's of mine that if a rendered tga sequence already exists for an animation, then I have to delete the tgas first before I can rerender it to samename tgas - or else each tga gets rendered

looking like maybe some random frame of the sequence. So not sure this is same problem.