Hash, Inc. Forums

Bear Wood

Well it's been a long while. Little bit here, little bit there but I have something that I want to show.

Yes, the lighting needs work.

Yes, some of the sounds need a little tweaking.

And yes, some of the textures might need modification.

But what the hell, it tells the story so far!

I will perfect it and add a little bit more before contecting the other bits I have done and then I think I will be almost half way through my little flick which should be all of 10-15 minutes.

I am pleased... I think...

BE WARNED IT IS NEARLY 60MB BIG AND YOU NEED QUICKTIME 5.0 OR ABOVE

Bear Wood

Thank you very much Dhar. There will indeed be more to follow ;)

The more I watch it myself the more I see (apart from the obvious lighting) little tweaks here and there.

I am going to try and get the file size down a bit today. I was thinking of using the H.264 codec and QuickTime 7.

This is really coming along now, Gaz! I like it, it made me chuckle too, but there are quite alot of anomalies creeping in. Shadows missing, unexplained shadows and reflections flickering. I don't know what is causing that. The shot where the spacecraft lands I feel could be improved if you just let the ship decend until it fills the view and then cut to the next shot rather that moving the camera within the shot.

The way that the entrance chamber compresses looks kind of strange to me. I would prefer to see it telescoping rather than distorting like that. Also giving it a floor would make it more believable. Perhaps these are things that you already intend to revisit so excuse me if that is the case.

There are some very amusing things going on in this short and I look forward to seeing more of your progress. :)

Wheeeeeeee....Love it

That is GOOD.

Love the camera angles, pacing, reactions, sounds, classy British accents (we Nu Yawkas think anything with a British accent is classy).

Good storytelling - builds interest for the next segment - me want more.

Ditto for the BIG smile on my face too.

And in conclusion: Wheeeeeeeeeee (perfect sound for witch)

Thanks eveyone for the nice comments I feel that I am actually getting somewhere now. I will have a think about what you said Paul - especially the floor it does look a bit odd without one.

I discovered another problem. When I play the movie in Premiere the sound is synced properly to the movie but when I render it out as a movie it shifts a slight amount (a few frames) in places like at the start... I am using Premiere 6.5 with QT 7.1.6 would this be the problem?

I have done a smaller file size version for people who thought 60mb was too large...

Bear Wood Small

This file is only 12mb or so and you will need QT 7 to view it.

I have just noticed something blindingly obviously wrong…

NO SHADOWS!

I don't understand this, I rendered the project with shadows 'ON' outputting as targa files - I cannot believe I didn't notice this. Why would it ignore the shadows? This is what it should look like and Paul there is a floor to the telescopic lift, I just didn't notice it had penetrated the ground - duh!

Bella_Appears655.jpg