Hash, Inc. Forums

Hair grooming question

While working on a new WIP, I started playing around with hair. In the modeling window I groomed the hair just like I wanted only to discover that the grooming does not translate into the chor. In the chor the model looks just like it did before I groomed it. I have to mention that the model was already in the chor before I groomed it in the modeling window. I say this because I just did an experiment where I made a new chor and imported the groomed model into the new chor. This time the grooming transferred into the chor.

I would have thought that hitting the spacebar would update the model with the grooming intact, but it doesn't. Is there another way to update grooming done in the model window? Should grooming be done in the model window or the chor? It seems it should be done in the modeling window so the groomed model can be imported into other scenes with hair intact.

It's not the pre roll, I set that at 3:00. Closing the chor and re-opening it doesn't work either, nor does it update if I close AM completely and re-start. Below is a comparison between the modeling window and the chor. This is after I closed AM and re-opened the project file. I know it's a little hard to tell that I did any grooming, but you can still tell that the hair is not the same in both windows.

hair.jpg

I understand dynamic options to be used when you want gravity, mass, drag, forces, etc to be part of the mix. I want that, so I have dynamic options set on. It is also my understanding that pre-roll allows one to see the hair the way it would look after all those dynamics have been applied. If you have dynamics turned on but don't have a pre-roll value, then you would not see the effect. In any case, just to eliminate preroll and dynamics from the occasion, I turned them both off/0 and still have no updated groomed model in the chor.

I even started a new project file and imported the groomed model only to find that it too does not show the hair to be groomed in the chor window. Any other ideas?

Hey Tanner:

if we both yell loud enough, maybe someone will hear our cries of grooming agony? What really gets me is the fact that the model imports into a new project nicely groomed in the modeling window, but is a mess once pulled into a new chor.

Come on guys, surely this has happened to some of you old pros before? What are we missing here?

I can't afford to take my model to Beverly Hills to get her hair done, so how's about an answer here??

actualy in the modeling window i think its best to have it at zero, what the dynamics do is make the hair move AFTER your done getting the hair how you want it. with preroll on it kinda messes up the whole thing i belive, even if you get the hair how you want it with preroll on it doesn't mean the next frame will look the same. preroll is only good for testing dynamics in the modeling window. making sure the hair doesn't drop to much or something. i had the same problem until i stopped using preroll in the modeling window. preroll is what the hair will look like at a certain frame if it stood still, you can do the same in the choreography...

for instance(they are .MOV files in .zip files so they won't open automatically)

this is my first model where i used hair. notice how that hair doesn't move at all. thats cause theres no dynamics used.

Aaron with hair

this is when i started using dynamics(not very good though lol)

Hair dynamics test

the pourpose of dynamics for hair is so it moves in animations with out the animator having to do it him self. preroll makes dynamics take effect in the modeling window, which completely messes up what you want your hair to be....

P.S. you justified my answer by your last post. hair i direction is dynamics, the hair direction is the gravity force. so in other words take that off and the hair is weightless, like your in space...until the character moves that hair will do nothing...

Tanner:

I just hear about muhHair from your hair post. Read just a blurb about it - a new shader AM has in V.13. Since it is a shader, I'm gonna set up my hair the way I want and then I'll try and render with the shader. This is my first stab at learning hair. Always something new to learn in AM!

With hair...there are SO many factors involved, and a tweek on 1 will effect something you thought was just right in another box...

Here are some random things I've learned: Preroll will effect the hair starting before the zero-frame in your chor. Without it, your hair will appear to 'fall' in the initial frames.

I've not figured out the 'none' hair constraint... I'll use either 'spring' or 'constraint'. 'Constraint' seems to work better in collision-detection scenarios, whereas 'Spring' is good for loosey-goosey wet style hair.

Raising the hairs vertex/points count helps for collision detection...

The ultimate hair test...make a character... give him hair...put him in a chor and make him shake his head. Stand back and see what happens.

The name of the game is test-dink-test-dink testtesttest. This is a new feature and not too many people are using it yet, consider yourselves pioneers setting-out across the Oregon Trail saying "Where can we get a map?!!! C'mon folks...a MAP!!!"