Hash, Inc. Forums

Seamless problems for me

chopper

Hi all

I am having a problem in trying to get seamless decals to work in v13 and v14 on my computer, can someone confirm or assist in showing how its done.

here are the steps I have taken without any success.

1 Made a patch surface

2 Import an image tba or jpg and applied to surface

3 In the image properties I applied 4x4 images and selected seamless

4 Quick rendered or full rendered resulted in seamless not working, leaving it in normal tiling effect.

I might have a virus! :(

Please help

Oh I really love this program, thanks Mr Hash

Thank's Rusty dude! :)

I will try to check it out tommorow, it's currently 2:59am Australian time and I need to be in a important meeting early in the morning.

I must say, I been to alot AM forum sites to learn as much as possible and I seen you help lots of fokes out there and I am true thankful.

Sincerely

Perry

Sorry Rusty if I was not very clear what assistance I am after but I will try to be more clear, here goes.

Although your seamless tutorial was very benificial to me,

I make a simple 4 point patch, place a image as a decal, within the decal properties I select repeat x2, y2 then switch seamless to on

I then make a render of it, the result is, seamless does not work for me, any ideas anyone.

Cheers

Perry

post-10440-1181743067_thumb.jpg

post-10440-1181743447_thumb.jpg

The answer depends on what you are trying to achieve. In your example, I am going to assume you want the decal to cover the whole patch with just one image of the caterpillar? If so, then you should just hold down the shift key as you are positioning the decal until you resize the decal to fit entirely over the patch. Once positioned, hit apply and you should have just the one decal showing - make sure repeats is set to 1x1. I have always done it this way and have never actually used repeat. If you want a decal to repeat, you must use a seamless decal. AM will not automatically make a seamless decal out of one that isn't seamless to begin with. Your caterpillar image is definitely not seamless. Do a search on the forum or the web on how to make seamless decals. Bitmap plus is a plugin that Marcel made (hope I recalled that right) that does wonders with repeating decals.

Hope that helps.

Thank's Eric for your responce

If you want a decal to repeat, you must use a seamless decal. AM will not automatically make a seamless decal out of one that isn't seamless to begin with.

I actually do want a decal to repeat and I also realise that the caterpiller image is not a seamless image but if I select repeat set 2x2 and select seamless to on shouldn't I render a image different to the image attached, that is part of the image be fliped in a pattern? :blink:

Perry

post-10440-1181751655_thumb.jpg

Dear Chopper,

Seamless is suppose to rotate every other copy of the image so that, with your image, you should have gotten this:

I just tested this in V13.0s which is the only version I can use right now being on my notebook and... it does not work. This appears to be a bug in 13 (though I can not test the latest version). It also appears to be a bug in V14.

I would ask that your report this ASAP in AM reports!! Again, since I do not have the latest versions on my notebook, I can not verify or create examples so I can't report it for you. This is an important function and I'm sure Hash will fix it ASAP.

Cheers,

Rusty

Thank Rusty for your responce again

I tested v13 and v14, both have the same problem, I will report it,

gee, I thought I was becoming a nuisance over this. :blink:

You were becoming a nuisance! -- Just kidding. :-)

However, you should try and post images to help us visualize your problem -- you can see how many times everyone got the wrong idea.

Yes!!!! Please report this ASAP!!! Mark it as urgent. I came back to this thread because after leaving I realized how serious this bug was! How MANY people in how MANY projects and models have used seamless to better match repeating decals! They'll devote hours to rendering these in the latest versions and find that they have a problem only afterwords. Maybe, hopefully, not too many. Even worse, those of us who know about the problem are stuck until its fixed because there is no way at all to get around it because you can't go back to V12! (Though maybe 'seamless' worked in an earlier release of 13 or 14.) I know that if I were not involved with rigging right now, I'd be animating and rendering and I have at least a few scenes that use 'seamless' (again, I guess I could modify the image and manually make it seamless).

Rusty