Hash, Inc. Forums

Output to AVI and MOV looks strange

TurboGorilla

Hi,

When I output an animation to either AVI or MOV format, and then bring it into a video editing program such as Sony's Vegas Movie Studio or Windows Movie maker, the video file (the animation I brought in) shows these really annoying lines. Take a look at the sample I've provided here.

Why does it do this and how can I make A:M render a movie that does not show these lines? I've used both Multipass and no-multipass, tried VGA format, Super 35, and VistaVision. They all show the same problem.

I am using A:M 2004 (V 11.0) if that makes a difference. Maybe the latest version of A:M would not do this? I don't mind purchasing it if it would fix the problem but am reluctant to do so if it's just going to be the same thing all over again.

All suggestions are appreciated and welcome.

AllChars1.mov

Looks like standard interlacing. I'm not sure if AM where that option is in AM though....or if it has it. Maybe look in the screen resolution section of the render options? As you can see from AM:Films AM doesn't always output like this.

That is definitely interlacing artifacts. These show up on a computer but not a standard television because TV pictures are already interlaced where computer images are not.

I would have to ask what codec you are using for the video compression?

EDIT: Also, it could have to do with what type of project you are working on in your video packages. If you are working on an NTSC or PAL project, the software may be introducing the interlacing for it's output.

That is definitely interlacing artifacts. These show up on a computer but not a standard television because TV pictures are already interlaced where computer images are not.

I would have to ask what codec you are using for the video compression?

I don't know what codec I am using. How would I tell that? Far as I know, it's whatever came with Windows XP Pro and A:M V 11.0.

Turn off "field render" in output options. You don't even need it for TV output, really - unless you plan to composite your animation over field-based live footage such as that shot with your video camera. field render is for CRT TV technology and sacrifices resolution for smoothness.

I'm planning a series of composites (nothing creative, just a learning process) and will have my camera in "frame" mode specifically so that I can halve my render times by turning off field render.

Field render can be a pain if you get the field order wrong. If you can avoid it, do so.

Turn off "field render" in output options. You don't even need it for TV output, really - unless you plan to composite your animation over field-based live footage such as that shot with your video camera. field render is for CRT TV technology and sacrifices resolution for smoothness.

I'm planning a series of composites (nothing creative, just a learning process) and will have my camera in "frame" mode specifically so that I can halve my render times by turning off field render.

Field render can be a pain if you get the field order wrong. If you can avoid it, do so.

Field Render is off by default. I never turn it on.

In fact, here are my default settings:

Quality: Final

Multi-pass: Off (although I tried ON also)

Motion Blur: Off

Depth of Field: Off

Shadows: On

Reflections: ON

Levels: 2

Soft: Off

Draw Particles/Hair: ON

Fog: OFF

Toon Render: OFF

Field Render: OFF

Stereo Render: OFF

Plugin Shaders: OFF

Format: AVI

Resolution: VGA

Width: 640

Height: 480

Aspect: 1

Gamma: NONE

BUFFERS: all OFF

-------------------------

Other suggestions?

Run the file without using any video editing software. If it looks fine, then the issue is in your editing software. If so, download the latest updates and get the latest codecs for your machine. I use the KLCODEC. It's a file that contains a ton of codecs.

Run the file without using any video editing software. If it looks fine, then the issue is in your editing software. If so, download the latest updates and get the latest codecs for your machine. I use the KLCODEC. It's a file that contains a ton of codecs.

Yep. Appears to be something flaky on my PC then. I can run this without those artifacts via QuickTime or Windows Media Player from the output from A:M, but if I bring it into Windows Movie Maker or into my Sony Vegas Movie Studio it adds those lines.

However... if I close everything and reopen Vegas or Windows Movie Maker...and then import the A:M AVI file, I can run it without showing the extra lines.

So I guess I have a corrupt something or other somewhere on my PC. Well, I'll either figure out what caused it or else I'll just live with it and open and close the editing software until I can get it to output without those artifacts.

Thanks everyone for your responses!