Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Should I?

Bob Savage

Hello,

I was in Fry's the other night and just happened to find a copy of the A:M software while looking at video editing applications (I do quite a bit of audio engineering and mixing and just got into video). Anyway, animation and modeling strikes me as fun. I have no goal for using the software other than something fun to do during spare time and if I were to get good enough, perhaps have some fun composing music for short animated videos.

Anyway, to the question: I have no animation or modeling background, so how realistic is it that I would be able to learn how to use this software? More specifically, I guess I'm looking to figure out whether the time investment to learn enough to create 3D objects and animations will outweigh the enjoyment? I realize this is a somewhat subjective question, but I would greatly appreciate your frank, realistic opinion.

Thanks,

Bob

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Bob,

Your going to get the biased opinion from me here...

I think that just about everyone with the interest will find A:M useful to them.

There will always be exceptions to the rule.

To determine if A:M is for you just look to your goals.

Firstly, and most importantly, you've got the right angle on it when you focus on the enjoyment of it.

This tells me you will succeed with A:M.

How far you want to take it beyond that initial success again will depend on your goals and the time you have to apply to that effort. Keep those goals realistic, keep it fun and within budget and you'll do well.

I have no goal for using the software other than something fun to do during spare time and if I were to get good enough, perhaps have some fun composing music for short animated videos.

With this as a goal I know Animation:Master will be a great tool for you but you're the one that'll have to take that plunge.

For my part, I'll try my best to be here to help you when you do. The entire A:M Community will be here too as they have similar goals as you do.

I'm still trying to make up for waiting 4 years before I made the leap myself.

Waiting to purchase A:M was perhaps the biggest mistake I could have made as an artist and aspiring animator.

Don't take my word for it though... take some time to look around the forum. Visit A:M Stills and A:M Films... check out the music videos! :)

Welcome to the A:M Forum!

Look at it this way: You might see a watercolor set in the store, and decide to buy it. It is a fun hobby, and you will have fun painting pictures. If you really like it, you will eventually get good at it. But the process of becoming an artist requires YEARS of practice... This is true of 3D art too.

I guess I'm looking to figure out whether the time investment to learn enough to create 3D objects and animations will outweigh the enjoyment?

That *is* subjective, Bob. My current experience is that the more time I invest into it, the more enjoyment I get out of it.

The first time I picked up A:M on a whim (a few years ago), I wasn't really interested in investing the time and my enthusiasm dropped off. At the beginning of this year, with a different mindset, I decided to give it another go and really invest the time and effort.

Now I'm having a blast!

A:M is the only 3D app I've ever really used (I've opened a couple of others, become disoriented and confused and closed them), so I don't think previous experience is required in the least ...and my impression is that a lot of the people on these forums call A:M their first 3D animation app, too.

the question: I have no animation or modeling background, so how realistic is it that I would be able to learn how to use this software?

I had the same no animation or modeling experience and I am doing well at learning and I am having fun with it. keep in mind that learning animation is one thing modeling is another sound editing is yet another lighting and coming up witha story to animate is yet another. So pick one you think would be fun go through the manual anb post results here Rodney helped me do that 3 years ago and he really means it when he says he will try to help you infact everyone here helps each other. There lots of models around try animating them or dive into modeling but trying to do everything your self for your first animation is too much keep it simple and small and go from there.

How realistic is it that you could learn to animate with A:M? I'd say for anyone who can write, perform and record music and do video production, chances are 100 out of 100.

Will the eventual enjoyment outweigh the initial frustration? Well, animation programs come in two flavors: "toys" that you can learn in minutes, because they're so limited that it only takes minutes to exhaust their capabilities, and "real" programs. "Real" animation is exquisitely complex, and complete mastery takes as much effort as, say, complete mastery of the piano.

But in this respect A:M has an ace up its sleeve. While it is a "real" program that can do almost anything in the hands of an experienced animator, it also has shortcuts that permit a beginner to start doing basic animation in minutes. As you progress, the psychic rewards keep pace with the effort invested.

This is one of the basic ways A:M differs from other "real" programs. Those others assume you have chosen animation as a profession, will be going to school to learn it, and expect to make your living at it. In other words, several years and five to six figures in cash before any payoff. A:M takes the position that you can teach yourself animation. The book which comes with the program has graduated exercises which I personally suggest you go through more than once. That may sound like a waste of time, but each time it's more fun. I just posted an exercise to this forum and I'm on my way there to see what people think of it.

Your "bio" suggests that you are the kind of person who finds the creative act rewarding for its own sake. I was a musician long before I was an animator, and I can tell you the same kind of satisfaction you get there is available here.

Thanks you all for the detailed responses!

I think I'm going to spend a little money and give it a whirl. The tutorial based manual is a big plus for me because I learn best with my hands on the wheel.

Does anyone know whether this is the latest version at Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Hash-Inc-Animation-M...4400&sr=1-1

The picture looks different than the one here ( http://www.sharbor.com/products/HASN0300002.html ), but pictures aren't always accurate.

edit: Whoops, one other thing, how does the application run on Vista (Business)? I'm running a 2.3 GHz core 2 duo, 2 GB of RAM and an Nvidia Geforce 7600GS with 512 MB of memory.

• Admin
Whoops, one other thing, how does the application run on Vista (Business)? I'm running a 2.3 GHz core 2 duo, 2 GB of RAM and an Nvidia Geforce 7600GS with 512 MB of memory.

I've been running v13/v14 on Vista (not the Business edition though).

With 2GB of RAM you should be good to go. (I have 1GB and need a bit more)

The only problem I had intially in Vista was with my graphics card and that has effected other programs besides A:M too.

After waiting and then downloading/installing some interim drivers I'm running pretty smoothly.

I don't have an Nvidia card so can't speak to that. (I have Intel Graphics here)

Whoops, one other thing, how does the application run on Vista (Business)? I'm running a 2.3 GHz core 2 duo, 2 GB of RAM and an Nvidia Geforce 7600GS with 512 MB of memory.

I've been running v13/v14 on Vista (not the Business edition though).

With 2GB of RAM you should be good to go. (I have 1GB and need a bit more)

The only problem I had intially in Vista was with my graphics card and that has effected other programs besides A:M too.

After waiting and then downloading/installing some interim drivers I'm running pretty smoothly.

I don't have an Nvidia card so can't speak to that. (I have Intel Graphics here)

That's good news, thanks Rodney. Which version number is being advertised as A:M 2007 on the Safe Harbor Computing site (you referenced v13/v14)?

I think what you are looking for is Animation:Master 2007 (with the TWO Image on it). The official release is v13 and v14 is in beta now, which can be downloaded here. Any releases that occur in 2007 can be downloaded if you have the 2007 version.

Al

I think what you are looking for is Animation:Master 2007 (with the TWO Image on it). The official release is v13 and v14 is in beta now, which can be downloaded here. Any releases that occur in 2007 can be downloaded if you have the 2007 version.

Al

Thanks Al. I'm thinking the one at Amazon isn't the 2007 version, but perhaps I'll contact them to find out because their price is lower.

On a side note, I absolutely hate Quicktime and am struggling as to whether I want to load it to watch some of the content on this site. :D