Hash, Inc. Forums

Using EXR images

• Hash Fellow

I know a number of apps can load OpenEXR files

but what current apps can load them and give individual access to the various buffers that one file might contain, such as the depth or normal or light buffers, much as the composite feature of A:M does

Does anyone have After Effects CS3? Does it do that sort of thing?

If there aren't apps that do that, is there a way to extract these buffers into separate files?

This is something that I would like to know as well. I am planning to get After Effects CS3 but don't have it yet. I thought maybe Photoshop would do it, but I can't seem to find any info about it.

Another reason why Hash burns the competition. It would be very useful to have it in AE however.

Please post any info you may find out about AE CS3 and EXR.

-J

• Hash Fellow

I've found that you can drag a single buffer into a new, empty "composite" and then do the "save as animation" trick to produce a new EXR file.

I'm not sure exactly how I would test its fidelity to the original buffer...

After you've put some buffers into a new composite, if you want to save the image, go to Save as Animation, then click on the ellipses (...), choose Open EXR as the Image File, and save the file under a different name. This process will combine all of your buffers together, so make sure you keep your backup safe.