Hash, Inc. Forums

realistic water spray

Someone made a really nice looking fountain a while back. I think they used moving textures as normal maps and moving transparency maps inorder to make it look like the water was flowing. They simply had static patches and the texture applied to them. You can make these textures using a moving material. Make sure to set the index of refraction to 1.33 on all of the water patches so you get a good look.

He Erik! leuk jou ook eens in het forum te zien. Ik heb zelf nooit zo'n watersproeier gemaakt, maar ik zal eens ff expirimenteren van de week. Ik ben eerst 2 dagen zeilen maar daarna zal ik eens kijken hoe goed het mij lukt. Ik laat het je wel weten.

Groetjes!

Experiment-Experiment!

IF- you can't get what you need, you may want to try a 'NON-A:M' approach...(dare I say?)

-1 shoot or photograph REAL water and composite...

-2 Try another app and composite it's render with your A:M work...

well, I have done some experiments on this and came up with some results that might do the trick. I already send the files to Erik, but I'm posting here for if you guys want to see the result:

if someone wants to have the project file just let me know

well, I have done some experiments on this and came up with some results that might do the trick. I already send the files to Erik, but I'm posting here for if you guys want to see the result:

if someone wants to have the project file just let me know

That is the most beautiful example of water I've seen done on A:M yet.

I rendered out an animation with the spray moving around. The problem that occurs is that the water divides in stripes when the direction of the spray is moving to fast. Adjusting the settings didn't seem to help.

Maybe anyone know a way around this? It seems to me that the emission code needs to be changed for this, but there might be an easier way to solve this :unsure:

I rendered out an animation with the spray moving around. The problem that occurs is that the water divides in stripes when the direction of the spray is moving to fast. Adjusting the settings didn't seem to help.

Maybe anyone know a way around this? It seems to me that the emission code needs to be changed for this, but there might be an easier way to solve this :unsure:

Luuk,

You might try two emitters, with different settings, in the same place. The second emitter can be set to obscure the striping of the first and vice versa. It's a low tech solution but has worked for me in other situations with sprites.

Ben

another thing you can do is to add a turbulence "nozzle". add a force near the the emitter in the same direction as the emitter with some turbulence in it, it should radomize things nicely.

Yes, I've noticed this previously. COULD it be caused by a FPS issue...and because there are only 30 frames per second...the emitters can only logically be emitted in those small 'windows of emittability'. PERHAPS upping the FPS (Frames per second) and rendering out the scene in slow-motion (120 FPS...?) and then speeding it back up in post would be a workaround.

OR better yet and less render intensive...change your project FPS to say...10X normal...or 300 Frames per Second... and then render-out every other 10th frame.

If I get a chance I'll test this... or if one of you who are already in that zone could and post the results...that would be great.