Hash, Inc. Forums

Another 'Self Portrat'

Hi,

Many have seen these models before but… here they are again.  Using Bill Young’s ‘Model a Face’ CD from Anzovin Studio, one model was based on my face and one was based on my daughter’s. Mine could be a little better, my daughter’s came out pretty good.

Both heads are rigged using one of the first face rigs presented in the AM community; Shawn Freeman's as shown on one of the AM SIG Pro Training sets. On one, you can see that I've overlaid the 3D face control setup from an early version of the Squetch rig.

Latter images show both the models in scenes from my current project.

Comments welcome,

Rusty

Thanks for posting these, Rusty. They look great to me! I think getting proportions around the eyes and getting the eyes themselves to look right is a challenge, but I could be wrong. I think we are just programmed to be very sensitive to subtleties of the eyes. You've done a great job!

I'll enjoy seeing animations of these two!

Suggestions for some minor tweaks on the noses: Round the tip of the noses (mainly yours) a tad more, tucking the front side of the nostrils in a bit so the reverse curve between the tip of the nose and the nostril stands out a bit more. Imagine the tip of the nose as a sphere and the two nostrils as two upside down bowls intersecting it. Sculpt above the nostrils a bit more so the slight dimples on each side of the nose stand out a bit more. The crease around the back side of the nostrils that starts under the mounds of flesh that slope to either side of the bridge of the nose should wrap around the nostril almost all the way to the ridge between the nostrils (the "columella"). The nostril openings should stand out more from the face at the bottom/back...think of it more like applying a loop of clay starting from the side of the tip of the nose, wrapping around and then attaching about the middle of the "columella" instead of the corner of the nostril. These are all subtle tweaks...a matter of adjusting the shapes slightly rather than any mesh restructuring.

Shame on you people... you've high-jacked my thread! Lets get back to... me, me, meeeeeee. How good I am. And so on. Just kidding. It 'would' be a good contest topic but, unless you start a separate thread, it won't get as much attention as it deserves.

Rusty