Hash, Inc. Forums

Peterbilt 379

I've wanted to model a truck for a long time (no, the Lego racer does not count). I've just started on the peterbilt model. I hope to be able to make the wrecker version out of it, but due to little referance and no blueprints of that particular model (1996) I'm not sure. Anyway, I dont have much to show yet:

LATEST UPDATE (21.05.07)

peterbilt_env0.jpg peterbilt_env1.jpg

Nice start Stian .... I was driving yesterday when I crossed with a Volvo, I was looking at it and thinking how would be interesting to model it. You were faster. :)

I see that my style of mechanical modelling differs of yours... I begin on the side then I make the front, rear and top.

Can we see wireframes ??

keep updates coming...

Thanks guys

I see that my style of mechanical modelling differs of yours... I begin on the side then I make the front, rear and top.

Can we see wireframes ??

keep updates coming...

actually, the way I usually start modeling vehicles is that I usually carve out the profile an extrude it, then start working on the wheel well. but then again it varies a little, depending on what kind of vehicle.

Here is the wireframe:

peterbiltw0.jpg

amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are definitely the best modeler i have ever seen. i am surprised an animation studio hasn't seen your work yet, and hired you. lol. keep you the good work. you are great.

btw, what is the patch count just for that much modeled?

This is really nice!

I have a question more then a crit.... I think that the shiny silver steele grate that goes around the

front is one piece, without the seem at the top area that you have...

I might be wrong, I'm not trucker.

But when I see the truck hoods up, the whole metal grate usually comes up with the hood.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Thank you guys for your nice comments. I'll have an update within tomorrow

I might be wrong
and you are ;) see attached image

front.jpg

Thank you for your nice comments :blush:

What's the patch count at now?
its almost 10K at this point (I could probably remove a few K's by using bump for rivets though)

Very nice work as always Stian. And GREAT powerful subject material...are you going to accompany it with a 'Fruehauf'??? I'd be interested in obtaining this model when finished, are you planning on selling? I'm sure David Dustin would want to throw it into his collection as well...or are you making it for him?

Jeepers!

I can almost hear the tires humming down the highway, the smell of diesel exhaust wafting through my rolled down windows, a '77 Black Bird Trans Am running blocker for a beer laden, boot legging transport... (as I now come back to reality)

That is one fine looking model you are building Stian.

Al

thank you guys for your comments

This model is a personal project. just for fun

Here is a new update. I had to do a rendertest. Let me know what you think

peterbilt_env0.jpg

thank you guys for your comments

This model is a personal project. just for fun

Here is a new update. I had to do a rendertest. Let me know what you think

peterbilt_env0.jpg

Looks like that could be a peterbuilt brochure . Awesome!

Stian, can you educate me and explain what those large chromed cylinders on either side of the cab, in front of the doors, are for? Are they air filters or part of the exhaust system? I'm just wondering if they get hot.

Those are the air filters for the engine.

Stian, you always amaze me how fast you produce these models at such amazing quality! You are quite a gifted 3D modeler.

Bill Gaylord

Stian, maybe this could be your next project! Your Peterbilt got me wondering what is the world's largest diesel engine. I found it!

Largest diesel engine in the world.

Thought you might find it interesting. 25,480 liters of displacement, 108,920 hp at 102 rpm, 5,608,312 lb/ft of torque at 102rpm. Engine weighs 2300 tons, 300 of which is just the crankshaft! It consumes 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour, at %50 efficiency, which is actually pretty efficient. (Most engines run 25-35%.)

Ummm... William, some of the side links on that page arn't really appropriate for the younger users.

Still, I'm glad to see they're making the engines more efficient. Hopefullly they get them running on an electrolysis system so they can save on oil as well.

• Admin

I could swear I already commented but don't see a post from me here.

Just want to add in my words of praise. You certainly haven't lost your modeling ability!

Your work is as impressive as always.

The texturing and lighting is a treat too. :)

That's Ambiant Occlusion. If you don't have V13.0 or higher, you can use skylights to get the same look.

Thanks, Matt. I do have the latest version and am interested in AO (and did a little experimenting with it). I was, however, not aware that AO handled reflections so nicely (the chrome).

Regarding the windows, How does AO handle transparency? in this render it looks great, however I seem to recall in Yves' tut, that the clear shield in Buzz Lightyear's helmet rendered solid. Does AO render transparent objects correctly?

What about transparent objects with reflections such as windows? Is this doable?

AO does not penetarte through geometry, so if you have a transparent surface, A:M will render it as if it were completely opaque. A way to get around this is to make any transparent surfaces in another model which does not cast AO. I'm hopping that Yves allows for individual groups to cast AO in a single model, but he's got his hands full as it is.

The very bright reflections are not a result of AO. There is a patch with an EXR decal applied to it. This decal has color values much brighter than white so you can get more intense reflections.

The very bright reflections are not a result of AO. There is a patch with an EXR decal applied to it. This decal has color values much brighter than white so you can get more intense reflections.

Thanks, that is interesting. Would you please explain the steps one would go through to set up an EXR decal with values brighter than white such as you mention. Feel free to move it to a different thread if you think it woulld be hijacking Stian's Peterbilt thread.

Here is a new update. I haven't had to much time to work on it, have been prioritized working on TWO

anyway, let me know what you think

Best regards

Stian

peterbilt_env0.jpg

Yeah... it's okaaaaay ;)

Stian; it's so perfect it's sterile - (this is actually a compliment of the highest degree). Trucks fresh out of the factory don't even come out this clean :D

How about some Armorall for those tires?