Hash, Inc. Forums

forearm / calf 'snapping' on IK setups

I have been using a modification of the skeleton 2001 for several years. The only problem I see often is the 'snapping' that happens when an IK target (say, a Hand Target null) gets a little out of reach of the limb, and back.

This little movie was intended to show a hand rig, but there's this little snapping with the forearm.

http://www.moscafilms.com.br/temp/hand.mov

I took a look on A:M sample models, and I notice this snapping is present too. Maybe some user with experience in rigging got rid of this? I could use some help.

Try adjusting the euler limit on the forearm in the ik setup (the minimum value in the y axis). If the model has been rigged with a slight bend in the arm, the arm may not be able to fully extend the arm when the hand target has been pulled away.

Try adjusting the euler limit on the forearm in the ik setup (the minimum value in the y axis). If the model has been rigged with a slight bend in the arm, the arm may not be able to fully extend the arm when the hand target has been pulled away.

Thank you very much!

I added an euler constraint to my forearm and it worked.. but I found it a little unreliable (the left arm worked fine but the right arm gets scrambled. And the legs didnt work (they still 'snap').

Then I tried a Spherical limits constraint, just raising the minimum latitude from 0 to 1, and it now works smoothly, no snapping! Thanks for your help!

• Admin
did you make that hand model?

Its fantastic.

Just want to chime in and agree.

Very impressive in animatability and simplicity Emilio.

Its great to see you found a solution to the popping too.