Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Squetch Rig downloads

itsjustme

I could add that, although there is still the ability to use the individual eye targets by unhiding them using the "Show Eye Targets" Pose in the "FACE Interface" folder. Do you think I still should add it, Dhar?

No David. I don't think you should add it now that I know about the "Show_Eye_Targets". That'll do very nicely :)

I don't know, Dhar...the more I think about it, the more I want to add it. It would make things less messy when trying to keep track of what the eye targets are doing and make unhiding them extremely rare (probably just for having them "translate to" something). It would add two more controls over the EyeAimerBone, but I don't think they would hurt anything.

What do you think?

Once I get the Quad rigs posted, I've got a spine update that I want to work on...I could add the extra eye control to the "to-do" list.

Do you mean like two extra bones (one for each eye) that works the same as the main eye bone aimer? Maybe have them a little smaller to destinguish them from the main one, that would make for a very useful and easy way to use and open up the possibilities for the animator. I was just afraid of making the rig more complicated than need be; you know, the more stuff you add the more problems to surface? But your work so far has been no less than the best.

Do you mean like two extra bones (one for each eye) that works the same as the main eye bone aimer? Maybe have them a little smaller to destinguish them from the main one, that would make for a very useful and easy way to use and open up the possibilities for the animator. I was just afraid of making the rig more complicated than need be; you know, the more stuff you add the more problems to surface? But your work so far has been no less than the best.

The two bones that currently control the eye crossing are positioned above the "EyeAimerBone"...they are using the 'Z' rotation for rotating the eyes inward/outward. I was thinking about another set of bones just above the eye crossing controllers that also used the 'Z' rotation, but to rotate the eyes up/down. Or it could be a control that is just two bones that rotate like the "EyeAimerBone", that would make it have the same number of controls that it currently has, but they would be controlled differently. Me, I lean toward the 'Z' rotation set of controllers, but I'll make it whatever way is deemed the best.

This addition would be very easy to add, it wouldn't cause any problems. I'm sold on adding the control, now it's just a debate on how the control should work in my mind, Dhar.

It seems to me that some of the characters have too much of a limitation on eye movement. And I have also noticed (I think?) that on some characters, one can get greater eye movement if you use the master target rather than the eye aimer bone. I prefer a greater range of motion, more extreme for the eyes. Not sure if your new rig addresses this. But perhaps it was how the individual model was setup? and not a function of the rig.

It seems to me that some of the characters have too much of a limitation on eye movement. And I have also noticed (I think?) that on some characters, one can get greater eye movement if you use the master target rather than the eye aimer bone. I prefer a greater range of motion, more extreme for the eyes. Not sure if your new rig addresses this. But perhaps it was how the individual model was setup? and not a function of the rig.

There are no limits on the eyes in this update, Nancy. Of course, if you roll the eyes inside the head it would be best to turn off the automatic eyelid movement. Try Squetchy Sam and see if that fixes the problems you have encountered.

Nice! I'm going to wait for the posable version and start over from scratch.

Thanks for thanking me -- although I don't know what for. All I post about is how I don't know what I'm doing, haha.

You and Mark are the greatest!

There are no limits on the eyes in this update, Nancy. Of course, if you roll the eyes inside the head it would be best to turn off the automatic eyelid movement. Try Squetchy Sam and see if that fixes the problems you have encountered.

Hee hee - very good David! Love the extra eyeball aimers also - The Cross eyed look is soon to become the norm (for my stuff anyway).

And how about the extra stops for the FACE on/off - (now goes to 4%) - I can see myself getting into even more trouble with 3 & 4.

Just keeps getting mo' bettah

I hate posting an update this quickly, but, I changed the way the individual eye controllers work and figured it would be better sooner than later.

After rolling it around in my head a little, I decided that Dhar is right (thanks, Dhar). So, I made the eye crossing controls into the "left_eye_control" and "right_eye_control", set them up to control both the 'X' and 'Y' rotation of each eye using the same rotations on the controllers. I also made the manipulators "rotate only" on those controllers and the "EyeAimerBone".

The face setup instructions are still here and the instructions for using the BVH data from Luuk Steitner's "Zign Track" software is here...the instructions haven't changed.

Mark will post the Posable installations as soon as he gets a spare moment.

-----------------------------

EDIT

-----------------------------

These files have been deleted, the next release is located here.

Here's the Quadruped rig updates.

The changes in these rigs for this update are the same toe fix and FACE updates as in the biped rigs.

The face setup instructions are still here (the Quad rigs don't have the full face bones rig, so not all of the instructions will be used for setting up the Quad faces) and the instructions for using the BVH data from Luuk Steitner's "Zign Track" software is here.

The MirrorBones plugin is located on Steffen Gross' site, here.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can.

-------------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------------

These files have been deleted, the next version is located here.

Hi David

I have some older models rigged with squetch v6. I want to add the new rig components. What is the best way?

Steve

Was that from before the date naming convention was used, Steve? If it's that old, it would be easier to wait until Mark posts the Posable installation rigs for this release and re-install the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...

This release gets rid of the resetting of 66 compensates...there are still around 85 left, but every little bit helps. Hopefully, it will get easier to install with each release.

The changes make it better if you have the origin of the "Maxilla", "LowerTeeth", "Jaw" and mouth bones at the same location.

I added a sentence to the FACE setup instructions, so I added it here as well.

The Posable installations have a couple of added steps that are outlined in a text file that will be included in their ZIP file ("Posable_additional_installation_steps.txt"). I set all of the IK/FK Poses to "not set", otherwise there wouldn't be an "off"...there were a couple of foot bones that were affected. There are a few bones that need to have "0" for their 'Z' rotation...their rotation gets re-calculated on export, so they need to be manually rotated using "Rotate mode" after export ("cheek_left_INSTALL", "cheek_right_INSTALL", "nostril_left_INSTALL", "nostril_right_INSTALL", "jowl_right_geom", "jowl_left_geom"). There is an additional model that will need to be imported after the installation Poses are deleted called the "FINAL_IMPORT"...there were some things that interfered with the installation Poses. After the import, there are a few placeholder Relationships in the "Animation_Controls/FACE Interface" folder that you can then delete...they are just named "Relationship1" and have nothing in them (in the "EyeConstraints (do not touch)", "Eye Target Tracking" and "eyes_aim_at_Master_EyeTarget" Poses).

Thanks to Mark Skodacek and Mark Strohbehn for their help.

The MirrorBones plugin is located on Steffen Gross' site, here.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can.

---------------------------------

EDIT

For some reason, the toe add-on links didn't work on the Wiki...so I added the files here (the Wiki now links to these files).

EDIT

The final v11.1 and v12 biped rigs and v11.1 and v12 standalone FACE installations have been moved here.

v11_1_Quad_Squetch_Rig_12_05_2007.zip

v12_Quad_Squetch_Rig_12_05_2007.zip

v13_Quad_Squetch_Rig_12_05_2007.zip

v13_Quad_Squetch_Rig_12_05_2007_Mirrorbones.zip

v12_Biped_Squetch_Rig_02_25_2007_Toes_installations.zip

v12_Quad_Squetch_Rig_02_25_2007_Toes_installations.zip

Hi David... you are doing an amazing job with Squetch Rig ....

I tried to use the v13_Squetch_Rig_12_05_2007_installations.zip but he doesn't showing Instalation Poses in Pose Sliders... could you confirm this?

David, Mark, et al

I hope everyone had a nice TG (even if you aren't American and it was just 'a nice day'!).

It seems that life has taken on a 'life' of its own and is dragging me along with it. The cruise was great, got back for a TG family dinner then up to Big Bear for a week. Now I'm home but there's the Dept 56 village and outside decors to setup. And... shopping. And cards. And tree. Ba-humbug! Not sure when I'll be allowed to come back to 3D endeavors. Oh wa WA wa... poor me. What would I do if I had to have a job and work like almost everyone else. ;-\

I was able to get some work done while on the cruise and up at Big Bear ; one thing was the development a small and somewhat tricky add-on rig (sleeve helper rig) to resolve some problems I had with the sleeve and arm muscle expansions. In theory what's there works but in practice (for me anyway) the sleeve must rotate to expand with a rotating flexed arm and, at least for my model, this doesn't look good (or, I'm possibly missing something in how it all is suppose to work). John3d helped me get past some problems I encountered with expressions for the 'sleeve helper rig'. The small rig is inserted in the upper arm and allows the sleeve to stay in place while a flexed arm rotates by rotating the sleeve expansion force but not the sleeve itself (if that makes sense).

Less 'compensates' is awesome!

Cheers,

Rusty

I was able to get some work done while on the cruise and up at Big Bear ; one thing was the development a small and somewhat tricky add-on rig (sleeve helper rig) to resolve some problems I had with the sleeve and arm muscle expansions. In theory what's there works but in practice (for me anyway) the sleeve must rotate to expand with a rotating flexed arm and, at least for my model, this doesn't look good (or, I'm possibly missing something in how it all is suppose to work). John3d helped me get past some problems I encountered with expressions for the 'sleeve helper rig'. The small rig is inserted in the upper arm and allows the sleeve to stay in place while a flexed arm rotates by rotating the sleeve expansion force but not the sleeve itself (if that makes sense).

Have you tried using the "Animation_Controls/Arm_Controls/sleeves_roll_like_biceps" and "Animation_Controls/Squetch_Controls/ARMS/sleeves_squetch_like_bicep" Poses, Rusty? Those are built into the rig...I'm pretty sure they will get you what you're looking for. If not, let me know and we'll try to get it where you need it to be.

• 2 months later...

Mark Skodacek and I have been knocking a few things around for the next update to the rig. We've got it to where we think we are ready for some feedback, so we are posting our present test version of Squetchy Sam that includes most of the updates (there are a couple that may get added shortly, depending on the results of a few more tests).

The next version is going to be v13s or better. Because of the heavy use of the FK/IK switch in several of the updates, v11.1 would be impossible and v12 would require a lot of extra keys being added by the animator. We are going with only a Posable installation, so that means anything before v13s wouldn't be able to use the installation method that I'll be putting a tutorial together for. So, v13s will be the oldest version that will be supported.

I'm planning to fix a couple of things in the previous v11.1 and v12 releases to correct a couple of things we found that were broken, so that we don't leave anyone with a problem. However, that is all that I'm thinking about doing for those versions at this point.

Here is a list of changes/additions:

1. The arm and shoulder "steady" Poses are solid now, they shouldn't twitch when switching at all.

2. The FACE interface now includes controls for the "Blink" and "eyes_aim_at_Master_EyeTarget" Poses.

3. The spine is now a five position switch. There is the standard FK and IK, then there are the IKSQUETCH, SQUETCH and auto_SQUETCH settings.

a.) FK...In FK, you can translate the base of the spine using the "FK_1_stomach" bone, the other spine bones don't translate, they only rotate. In this mode, you can resize each section of the spine by selecting a bone, hitting the 'S' key and manually scaling.

b.) IK...In IK, you can translate the spine using the "hips_lower_controller". Both the "IK_chest_controller" and "hips_lower_controller" can be manually resized using the same method as in FK. The mid_section will rotate on its' 'Z' axis 50% of the 'Z' rotation of the "IK_chest_controller" and 50% of the 'Z' rotation of the "hips_lower_controller" in this setting.

c.) IKSQUETCH...In IKSQUETCH, the end of the "hips_lower_controller" bone is controlled by the "hips_lower_controller_target" (which is a "translate only" controller), the base of the "hips_lower_controller" can be translated or rotated on the 'Z' axis...both ends will squetch the stomach area of the character and the base will also squetch the mid_section of the character. Translating the "IK_chest_SQUETCH_controller" will automatically squetch the mid_section. The mid_section will rotate on its' 'Z' axis 50% of the 'Z' rotation of the "IK_chest_SQUETCH_controller" and 50% of the 'Z' rotation of the "hips_lower_controller" in this setting.

d.) SQUETCH...In SQUETCH, the spine sections are controlled by nulls on the ends of each bone. The nulls are "translate only" controls, the "spine_stomach_auto_SQUETCH", "spine_mid_section_auto_SQUETCH" and "IK_chest_auto_SQUETCH_controller" bones are set to only rotate on their 'Z' axis as controllers in this setting.

e.) auto_SQUETCH...In auto_SQUETCH, the base of the spine is translated using the "spine_1_auto_SQUETCH" null, the chest is translated and rotated using the "IK_chest_auto_SQUETCH_controller", the stomach and mid_section auto squetch when translating those controls. The stomach and mid_section can be adjusted and squetched independently using the "spine_2_auto_SQUETCH" null and the "spine_stomach_auto_SQUETCH" bone and the "spine_mid_section_auto_SQUETCH" bones are only used by rotating on their 'Z' axis to twist the torso.

4. The "auto hips" Pose has been redone. The spine needs to be in FK to turn the auto hips on, then, it is meant to be used in the IK spine settings. In standard spine IK, the auto hips will work as it previously did. In spine IKSQUETCH and spine auto_SQUETCH settings, the auto hips will also squetch the stomach and mid_section of the character. In spine SQUETCH, the auto hips will squetch the stomach, but not the mid_section (you can use the "spine_2_SQUETCH" for that in this mode).

5. On-character controls have been added for the "scale-to-reach" limb Poses, the FK/IK limb Poses, chest and stomach in/out, FACE interface, arm steady Poses, shoulder steady Poses, show thumb controls, show Hand Gizmo and show finger controls. The attached videos give a quick run-through of their use (sorry for the small size...I was trying to not exceed 2 MB file sizes).

6. Fixed a problem with the scale-to-reach Pose on the right arm.

7. Fixed an over-rotation of the thigh orient when manually squetching the legs.

It would helps us out if we could get some stress testing of the rig and feedback from anyone that has time. We are testing a couple more things that may also be included, then we will be putting together the Posable installations and finally an installation tutorial.

----------------------------------

EDIT

I forgot to mention, there is also thigh and calf flexing added...it's subtle in Sam, but it is adjustable.

EDIT

I deleted this test version of Squetchy Sam, the next test version that incorporates the suggestions listed in this thread is located here.

spine_Sorenson3.mov

hands_and_arms_Sorenson3.mov

face_io_legs_autohips_Sorenson3.mov

Thanks!!! The rig is awesome.

The tutorial is going to be crucial, for me at least. I still don't have a clue about how to install it, but I might have to learn real fast in order to get some of the characters in Scarecrow of OZ rigged.

Thanks David and Mark (and everyone else who contributed). Really amazing work.

Hi Guys

This is a nice setup. :)

I may not have much experience but I have found two things

1 The blink null slider and aim at master eye target switch should have the "Limit Manipulator" set to "ON" and the rotate set to "OFF" for X, Y, Z so it wont roll when you go to move it.

Two you may want to review the color selection for the geom bones. Some of the bones have similar colors next to each other and it make it harder to tell which CP’s belong to which bone.

Thanks again DJ, all switches have been checked, so if you find any more, they're already fixed.

Xtaz, the sleeves are there if you need it on you model. This allows the bicep to twist, but the sleeves won't. There is separate geometry bones for the biceps and sleeves. Basicly used for short loose fitting sleeves.

interesting changes - love the big foot and the torso spine squetching choice (among other things)

I have not been able to figure out what the leg & right leg scale to reach switches do? Are they supposed to be showing?

I must say it takes a bit of getting use to with all those switches creating channel data. My guess is that simple minded people such as myself could decide before hand which way one wants to animate (torso/spine 1,2,3,4%, switch setup on/off) in order to avoid having that brain muddling long list of channels created.

Very Nice work.

I have not been able to figure out what the leg & right leg scale to reach switches do? Are they supposed to be showing?

The leg switches turn on/off the IK leg controls and the scale-to-reach switches (visible when in IK) make the leg/arm scale to reach the IK hand/foot controller. In the videos that I posted I show how to use the switches.

I must say it takes a bit of getting use to with all those switches creating channel data. My guess is that simple minded people such as myself could decide before hand which way one wants to animate (torso/spine 1,2,3,4%, switch setup on/off) in order to avoid having that brain muddling long list of channels created.

The added switches is an attempt to make it easier for the animator by eliminating the need to dig through folders for often used Poses while animating. True, it will create more channels, so it depends on the animator whether it will be seen as a benefit. If the switches won't be used, they can be turned off in the "Animation_Controls/Switch_Controls" folder. One thing we could look at is renaming the switches (and anything else that gets in the way) so that they will be grouped away from the other channels...that might help.

For the spine, you could use just straight FK or IK and ignore the other settings, Nancy. Not every character or situation will require the use of every knife in the drawer...but it's always nice to have options. :)

The leg switches turn on/off the IK leg controls and the scale-to-reach switches (visible when in IK) make the leg/arm scale to reach the IK hand/foot controller. In the videos that I posted I show how to use the switches.

I gathered that was what they were supposed to do - but it wasn't happening - I was doing a lot of on/off stuff and eventually when I first noticed them (under the foot) - they didn't seem to affect the scaling of the legs in any way - at any time - in any position. I will see again today if it it was just that I got things into a funny state - I will also re-review the videos.

Scratch that - I just tried the leg scale switches again - and they require rotating instead of translating in order for them to affect the legs - makes more sense now - perhaps you should prohibit their translation ? as they work differently then the other switches ? Or maybe the other switches should be manipulated with rotation ? for consistency? (not sure if its worth the bother)

The added switches is an attempt to make it easier for the animator by eliminating the need to dig through folders for often used Poses while animating. True, it will create more channels, so it depends on the animator whether it will be seen as a benefit. If the switches won't be used, they can be turned off in the "Animation_Controls/Switch_Controls" folder. One thing we could look at is renaming the switches (and anything else that gets in the way) so that they will be grouped away from the other channels...that might help.

For the spine, you could use just straight FK or IK and ignore the other settings, Nancy. Not every character or situation will require the use of every knife in the drawer...but it's always nice to have options. :)

I think renaming the switches is an excellent idea so that they fall at the end of the list - perhaps adding a simple prefix such as "x_" ?. Maybe even other types of channel data that is due to other mode switching should also be prefixed in some way to be out of the stream of those bones, nulls used primarily for animating ?

I had found the switch control on/off yesterday, which is how I noticed alll those new channels -

I would suggest that the default could be off eventually - since turning them off (from the default on) creates lots of channels - if one wants to use the switches - which is a very, very inventive idea - then one would be willing to work with all the channels. And if they are at the end - it would not be as difficult to wade thru the list.

And I LOVE the IK squetch position (2%?) for the spine - TERRIFIC. And I agree - one doesn't have to use every knife - and its great to have choices.

It's an amazing amount of great work youse guys. Thanks for your efforts.

I think those switches are great! No more searching through the poses to turn IK on or off! Great idea.....never seen it before. The only thing I worry about is how much all these mods add to the size of the rig. I see the latest Sam is nearly 3mb in size and he's a relatively simple mesh.

The new changes are too cool not to have though.

PS Would it better if the spine was IK by default? I would have thought that was used most often.

Ken, the way the spine pose is laid out, it needs to start in FK in order for the switch to work. If I can figure out a way to have it in IK to start, then I'll add it.

Nancy, the reason for the Z rotation on the scale to reach switches is that they are percentage poses, the stomach and chest IO are also percentage poses.. The switches have euler limits that allow them to rotate 100 degrees, rotating them 50 degrees will set the pose to 50%. The face switch is setup using rotation to avoid confusion with the nulls of the interface. If you don't want the switches you can just turn them off in the models user properties and save the model as the new default. If you like the IK Squetch, you should try it with auto hips ON.

Basicly, bone switches rotate and null switches translate.

Basicly, bone switches rotate and null switches translate.

That's an easy rule - I like it.

However the leg scale bone switches also seem to translate - so it was confusing when translating them didn't do anything.

As for turning switches on/off - of course I know that I can change the default to be off for myself.

I was suggesting that perhaps the default for everyone should be off. Just like the face interface default is off. (and of course some will feel differently)

I would assume most people animate with the face interface off (at least I do) and turn it on only when needing to animate the face. It's a lot of visual clutter.

So similarly, I would think most people would want to turn the switches off to reduce visual clutter as they are animating the body. And when they want to change modes they would want the switch pose in the PWS to be readily accessible. Putting the switch setup folder at the top of the animation control folder - or even getting rid of that folder and just having the switch on/off pose at the top of the animation folder would make it more obvious, accessible - currently it's at the bottom.

These are simple cosmetic interface changes that IMO could help reduce clutter and confusion and help facilitate a more fluid experience. I know I kept inadvertently grabbing the wrong switches/bones while trying to animate with the switches on.

If the naming gets changed so that the switches appear at the end of the list in the channel data - as David suggested, helps the experience enormously as well. And turning the switches on and off would be easy, if the switch pose for switching on the switches appears at the top of the animation folder.

Please don't take these tiny observations as negative criticism. You guys have done amazing work. I am noticing that the IK/FK switching stuff seems to work beautifully smooth among other things. Loving the options for arm, shoulder steadying as well. Love the stomach and chest controls - lots of goooood gooood stuff.

However the leg scale bone switches also seem to translate - so it was confusing when translating them didn't do anything.

They are locked down in the next version, Nancy. I'll post an update later tonight for further reviewing.

As for turning switches on/off - of course I know that I can change the default to be off for myself.

I was suggesting that perhaps the default for everyone should be off. Just like the face interface default is off. (and of course some will feel differently)

I would assume most people animate with the face interface off (at least I do) and turn it on only when needing to animate the face. It's a lot of visual clutter.

We had them "on" by default for this testing, I'm in favor of leaving them "on" in Squetchy Sam (so that people new to the rig will know they are there) and setting the default to "off" for the installation rigs. What do you think?

Putting the switch setup folder at the top of the animation control folder - or even getting rid of that folder and just having the switch on/off pose at the top of the animation folder would make it more obvious, accessible - currently it's at the bottom.

I'll change that. Thanks, Nancy.

If the naming gets changed so that the switches appear at the end of the list in the channel data - as David suggested, helps the experience enormously as well. And turning the switches on and off would be easy, if the switch pose for switching on the switches appears at the top of the animation folder.

I'll make those changes as well.

Please don't take these tiny observations as negative criticism.

Absolutely not, Nancy. We need this kind of input to put a polish on the updates and find the things we missed. We appreciate the time that everyone is spending to help. Thank you, to everyone for your help.

On to the face controls.

I found a glitch with the face switch. If you slide it a little only half of the face controls show up Not a big problem

Nevermined this was not a glitch.

half_face.jpg

You may want to move the face switch to the side of the head_manual_control bone so you can see it. Also you may want to add a switch to turn head_manual_control bone off so you can see the face or add it to the face switch control.

facecam.jpg

For AM coders.

Adding the ability to change the percentage bone switch to act like selector switch would be a really nice feature.

Something to hide the camera from sight and/or accidental movement.

Also something to suppress the unnecessary data channels like a option to not record thing not needed for animation but needed for setup.

On to the face controls.

I found a glitch with the face switch. If you slide it a little only half of the face controls show up Not a big problem

It's suppose to be like that. It controls both sides of the face.

You may want to move the face switch to the side of the head_manual_control bone so you can see it. Also you may want to add a switch to turn head_manual_control bone off so you can see the face or add it to the face switch control.

I played around with moving it to the side, but I felt it worked better where it is now. Maybe hiding the head manual control bone will help.

Something to hide the camera from sight and/or accidental movement.

Once you turn on the face, hit the "1" key on the numpad to go into the camera view, then it won't be selectable.

Also something to suppress the unnecessary data channels like a option to not record thing not needed for animation but needed for setup.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but I'm nearly sure it can be done. I'll let you know if you explain it more fully. :D

I agree. It'd be nice if the camera was hidden when the FACE is turned on in an action. I could have sworn that's how it used to be.

PS I'm not an AM coder!

Edit: Hey Mark/David....would it be possible to replace the FACE switch bone with the Eye Aimer bone at the top. The z-axis of that bone isn't used for anything else is it? If it is possible, maybe it wouldn't be clear....but I'm sure people would learn and it'd be one less bone round the face.

Edit1: Just a small thing.....the new blink and target patches and writing in the FACE Interface have their patches flipped the wrong way.

Edit2: Ooooo....this is going to save me sooo much time in animation.

Edit 3:

Ken, the way the spine pose is laid out, it needs to start in FK in order for the switch to work. If I can figure out a way to have it in IK to start, then I'll add it.

Cool. If there's no way, then we can just set it in the default settings pose......oh maybe that's something that could be added. A blank on/off pose that's easy to get to so people can just edit/switch it to get all their default starting options.

Edit 4: A bit of an indulgent one......if it causes more problems or it's alot of work, then don't even consider it. If you open Sam in a new action and then grab his forearm from the front view. Then drag it down......his elbows should pop up. Is that normal? I would have thought it should drag down with his elbow facing backwards. If you drag it down slow enough, it could be possible.

Edit: Aha! If you drag down and move the mouse away from the arm as you do it, then it doesn't pop. Actually that makes sense.....unlike me. :) Forget about it.

Edit 5: I think Sam likes his new improvements! :D

sam.jpg

I played around with moving it to the side, but I felt it worked better where it is now. Maybe hiding the head manual control bone will help.

You may want to hide all the bone or at less the upper chest and arms. So they wont block you view of the face controls.

Edit: Hey Mark/David....would it be possible to replace the FACE switch bone with the Eye Aimer bone at the top. The z-axis of that bone isn't used for anything else is it? If it is possible, maybe it wouldn't be clear....but I'm sure people would learn and it'd be one less bone round the face.

I would worry about people knowing it was there and, as you rotate the EyeAimer it might rotate on its' 'Z' some...which would cause unwanted revealing and hiding of the main eye target.

Okay, here's an updated Squetchy Sam. The changes include:

1. Renamed spine controllers to have "spine" at the beginning of their name (I didn't do that to the "hips" controls...maybe that should be done as well?).

2. Renamed all on-character switches to have "z_switch" at the beginning of their name.

3. Moved the "switch_setup" Pose outside of a folder and put it at the top of the "Animation_Controls" folder.

3. Varied the colors of the "geom" bones.

4. The "head_manual_control" bone hides when the FACE controls are active.

5. All on-character switches are constrained so that they don't move in a way in which they aren't used.

6. All of the normals in the FACE interface now face forward.

7. Renamed all of the FACE interface bones used for hiding FACE that appear in the Timeline with "interface" at the beginning of their names.

I think that's everything so far...was there something missed? Any additional issues?

EDIT

In case anyone needs to refer to the videos or the detailed explanation, they are still located here.

EDIT

This test Squetchy Sam has been deleted, the next test version is located here.