Hash, Inc. Forums

Squetch Rig downloads

itsjustme

As I said, multiple twist bones for the same location is going to be difficult for the average user to weight, most won't even know they're there and won't bother. I understand why you are doing it, but I don't think it's necessary if you set the "aim roll at" constraints in a pose slider with multiple targets for each segment. Then the user can just use a pose slider to adjust the amount of roll needed to look correctly.

As I said, multiple twist bones for the same location is going to be difficult for the average user to weight, most won't even know they're there and won't bother. I understand why you are doing it, but I don't think it's necessary if you set the "aim roll at" constraints in a pose slider with multiple targets for each segment. Then the user can just use a pose slider to adjust the amount of roll needed to look correctly.

I agree that the average user would probably be confused...I'm hoping to answer any questions with the installation tutorial that I'm crawling at a snail's pace toward. I'm not sure about your solution, my head isn't working very well at the moment. I know there is still a slight disconnect in my thinking, but I'm not able to put my finger on it yet. The difference I see in your solution is that it would make the roll more adjustable, since at present the fan rotations are predetermined, but I'm not understanding how it would make the weighting easier. Maybe it'll be clearer in the morning...I'm up way too late, again.

You would only need to weight to one bone per segment, rather than four bones per segment. Right now you have 16 geometry bones for the forearm (4 per segment). My way would be 4 geometry bones (1 per segment).

I'll setup the right forearm to show you and send it to you.

You would only need to weight to one bone per segment, rather than four bones per segment. Right now you have 16 geometry bones for the forearm (4 per segment). My way would be 4 geometry bones (1 per segment).

I'll setup the right forearm to show you and send it to you.

If you weight to a single bone per segment, then you lose what I'm talking about. I think we're thinking two different things, Mark. Maybe I'm not understanding, I'll check out the example when you send it. Thanks for spending the time on this.

---------------

EDIT

---------------

I think I'm understanding now...it took a while to wake up, I guess. It would still require at least two geometry bones per segment though...you would need a base that doesn't roll at all to weight against, I'm thinking.

I understand why you have it setup this way, but for 99% of most models this is overkill. This would require 3 to 4 (or more) spline rings per segment, too many for an A:M IMO. In most models you will have 1 maybe 2 spline rings per segment and the second spline ring will most likely be between segments and weighted accordingly anyway. I have it setup in Sam's "Right Forearm" right now and I'm getting good results. I eliminated 12 geom bones and 2 roll targets for the forearm.

I weighted Sam's right forearm according to how I wanted the arm to bow. Then adjusted the twist using the sliders I setup for each segment.

Sam0.jpg

I'm sure with some weighting adjustments you could get similar results with your setup, but I still don't think you need the setup that elaborate.

I sent you the test model.

Thanks, Mark! I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

• 6 months later...

I found a problem in the face rig that I think I've got a fix for...it shows up when manually manipulating the Maxilla and LowerTeeth bones. Here is a version of Squetchy Sam with what I think will correct the problem installed. If anyone has time, knock him around while I see if I can finish the arm update that Mark recommended (none of that work is in this version of Sam).

Hopefully, I'll have an update to post in the next couple of weeks.

-------------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------------

Next updated Sam is in this post.

Okay, I tweaked Sam's face more to adjust for some of the changes (just a few sliders and a couple of CP's getting weighted differently) and put those changes on the version of Sam with the arm updates suggested by Mark Skodacek.

The roll of the forearms and biceps for setting up the character is adjusted using the percentage sliders in the "Rig_Components/arm_constraints_folder" section. This, as Mark suggested, would simplify the CP Weighting on the arms.

Also, the limb bowing has changed...instead of being affected by the rotation of the limb, it can be set to an amount of bend. That means that the amount of bowing would generally be manually adjusted through arcs, but it also gets rid of possible bone flipping during extreme bowing (at least that is the intent).

Knock him around to see if he breaks if you have some time and I'll start on the installation rigs.

-----------------------------

EDIT

-----------------------------

The next version is in this post, this one has been deleted.

Very nice David - the rig obviously allows for just about any kind of animation that one could ever dream up. Squetch city galore ! Love the bowing and of course I am intimidated by all the cp weighting (ay caramba!). Don't quite understand the sleeve options - but didn't really try too much with it.

I noticed that when playing around in 15j+, that I wasn't able to make Hand Gizmos ON as default, nor to have Spine FK-IK squetch default to 2%. I could change them in the chor of course, but just not have it be default. Is that only in 15j+? I was able to make switches OFF as default.

Amazing !

...of course I am intimidated by all the cp weighting (ay caramba!).

It's a lot of CP Weighting, definitely. I've toyed with the idea of making something that uses the Transfer_AW Plugin to make it a little easier, but I think you would still need a good overview of the bones available for weighting. I'm working on that.

Don't quite understand the sleeve options - but didn't really try too much with it.

There are bones for short sleeves that are identical to the bones for the biceps. They will move like the biceps except for the roll, which is adjustable. I think a slight difference between the short sleeves and biceps adds a little (a setting like 90-95%).

I noticed that when playing around in 15j+, that I wasn't able to make Hand Gizmos ON as default, nor to have Spine FK-IK squetch default to 2%. I could change them in the chor of course, but just not have it be default. Is that only in 15j+? I was able to make switches OFF as default.

I had the same trouble with Squetchy Sam, so I tried it with one of the installation rigs and it worked fine. Then I tried another rigged character and had the same problem. I had the same results in v13, v15j++ and v16. I'll mess with it tonight and see if I can narrow it down.

Thanks Nancy!

This is because of the switches. The switches control those poses with smartskin, which can't be turned OFF.

This is because of the switches. The switches control those poses with smartskin, which can't be turned OFF.

D'oh! You are absolutely right, Mark...I feel like an idiot. The reason there wasn't a problem with the installation rig is that I didn't include the switches in my test. It's the obvious that always escapes me. Thanks for the reminder, Mark!

• 1 month later...

I decided to post a temporary biped rig update as a stop-gap until I can get the next final version, updated Squetchy Sam and installation tutorial finished. This version fixes a few things that were messed up in the previous version and has a different installation method for the fingers and toes. I'm still hard at work getting everything together, so, if anything is cryptic, an explanation will be provided as soon as I can get it finished.

--------------------------------

EDIT

--------------------------------

The next installation version is in this post, this one has been deleted.

• Admin
and has a different installation method for the fingers and toes

Okay David... you've got me intrigued.

In 25 words or less (kidding!!!) can you describe how this installation method differs from the previous one?

I ask because rigging hands is in my list of things to do in 2011. :)

Okay David... you've got me intrigued.

In 25 words or less (kidding!!!) can you describe how this installation method differs from the previous one?

The previous method used Poses that weren't consistent on which direction up/down/etc were (the XY rotations could also get strange depending on what order you went in). I could have worked out a better setup on those, but it just seemed more intuitive to manually drag a target and place it where the base knuckle and end of each finger are located...the individual finger bones still use poses. I also isolated the hiding and unhiding of each finger so that it was less confusing and focus on only the right side, since it's unnecessary to see the left side unless you're double-checking that everything is the same (this rig assumes a CFA'd character).

The positioning of the thumb also positions the base of the carpals, so there is some rotating and scaling as well as the translating and that is also true of the index finger first knuckle...that positions some of the Hand Gizmo and roughs in the other finger bases. It makes it a little less "dummy-proof", but if I have the tutorial finished it shouldn't be a problem...I'm thinking.

Here's an example of a rough positioning of the thumb, index and middle fingers (I was in a hurry)...I was hoping to make it a quick clip, but I made it about ten minutes long, sorry for the length (and slop).

finger_placement_example_12_17_2010.mov

• 4 months later...

Ok, I've been away from the forums for awhile and I'm trying to get all caught up with all of the rigging developments here that I've missed. So I click on David's (itsjustme) signature to download the latest Squetch Rig and and I get directed here:

http://wiki.hash.com/index.php?title=Squetchy_Rig

When I try to download the latest Squetch Rig the links take me to the forum error screen.

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

The specific files are:

Examples Models:

v13_Squetchy_Sam_04_23_2010.zip

and

The Latest Posable installation:

13s_Posable_Squetch_Rig_installations_04_23_2010.zip

The other links to the older versions have worked but I was trying to have a look at the latest ones.

Is there an alternate location to download these files?

Thank you.

The other links to the older versions have worked but I was trying to have a look at the latest ones.

The latest version posted is in this post, but, I'll be posting another update in the next few days. If I'm lucky, I'll get it done late tonight. It will include an updated Squetchy Sam...lot of changes in the hands, a couple of changes in the soft IK, a better thigh fan bone setup and some better modeling on the hands, legs and torso.

I'll also be putting together a few tutorials in the next week or two on the arm/leg rig and the soft IK setup.

Hope that helps, Mack.

---------------------------------

EDIT

I've still got some cleaning up to do on the installation rigs, so, I figured I would post the present version of Squetchy Sam so that others can do some troubleshooting if they want (in case I missed something). Barring any major problems, I should be able to get the installation rigs posted tomorrow night. This is still a "stop-gap" version because I want to add some updates to the face rig before I start making the installation tutorial videos.

Here are a few of the differences:

1.) The fingers are set up similar to the 2008 Rig in that the finger curling bones are separate bones from the actual finger bones (much better method, Thanks, Mark!)...I've also cut out a lot of bones and eliminated quite a few constraints that became unnecessary as a result. The fingers themselves can be squetched by scaling each bone (hand as well), which eliminated the squetch Poses for them.

2.) The soft IK has been updated to get rid of some things I accidentally left in that would react differently if A:M were set up for centimeters.

3.) Added "right_thigh_butt_fan_geom" and "left_thigh_butt_fan_geom" bones to get better butt movement...they rotate at 50% of the thigh on the 'X' axis when the leg is rotating forward and at 100% (adjustable) when going toward the back. The original thigh fan bones are still there, rotating at 50% of the thigh rotation and are weighted more to the upper butt area on Sam.

4.) This version of Sam has five fingers...I'll also have a four fingered version, it will make things easier to test.

5.) Sam's modeling is a little more dense than it was, but I think it's an improvement.

If anyone finds a problem or thinks there's a design issue somewhere, let me know.

------------------------------------

EDIT

------------------------------------

The next version of Sam is in this post, this version has been deleted.

I just realized that I need to add one more bone to the thigh fan setup...it's a quick fix, so not a big deal. It will get rid of the 'Y' and 'Z' rotation on the thigh fan that is still in there...I only need the 'X' rotation on that bone. I'll be able to get it done late tonight before I release the installation rigs and an updated Sam.

Okay, here's the updated Squetchy Sam and the installation rigs to match...these are biped-only at the moment. Eventually, I'll get the Quad rigs updated as well, but first, I have to finish the face rig updates on these. As I've said, this is a "stop-gap" version that will get more added before the installation tutorials get done.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know.

13s_Posable_Squetch_Rig_installations_04_25_2011a.zip

v13_Squetchy_Sam_04_25_2011a_with_sleeves_and_switches.zip

The latest version posted is in this post, but, I'll be posting another update in the next few days. If I'm lucky, I'll get it done late tonight. It will include an updated Squetchy Sam...lot of changes in the hands, a couple of changes in the soft IK, a better thigh fan bone setup and some better modeling on the hands, legs and torso.

I'll also be putting together a few tutorials in the next week or two on the arm/leg rig and the soft IK setup.

Hope that helps, Mack.

EDIT

Thank you David.

I appreciate your help once again.

If I see anything that I think is an issue with the rig I'll let you know.

Take care.

• 1 month later...

Here's a test version of Squetchy Sam with an added FACE controls setup for more on-face-type control instead of a floating interface. I also made a very quick bare-bones video of what things do that I'll post here.

If anyone has time to check it out and give me an idea of whether or not this is worth adding, I'd appreciate it. I had another idea for an addition that ended up being not worth the effort, so I dropped it. The only things I have that I know I'm going to add are the gut rig and a better tail...but those can happen after I get the installation tutorials done.

-------------------

EDIT

-------------------

The test version of Squetchy Sam was deleted because there is an update in the next post...the video showing the on-face controls is still here.

face_controls_test_06_02_2011.mov

• 1 month later...

Here's an update to the biped rig with an updated Squetchy Sam. It includes the on-face controls update (a video showing how it works is in the post immediately before this one), a few fixes and fixed Zign Track support. I'll try to get a standalone version of the face rig posted in the next couple of days.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can.

---------------------

EDIT

---------------------

An updated installation is in the next post, this one was deleted.

I hate posting a fix this quickly, but, I missed a minor problem that would keep one of the controllers from being positioned where I think it should go (if anyone is in the middle of an installation, you can just manually reposition the on-face cheek controllers in Bones Mode). I also added some sizing Poses for the new controllers.

Squetchy Sam was unaffected, but I decided to repost him with an updated date to avoid future possible confusion.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

If anyone finds other issues, let me know and I'll fix it as quickly as possible.

------------------------------

EDIT

------------------------------

The next release is here, this version was deleted.

• Admin

It's been awhile since I've looked at Squetchy Sam and I am reminded of just how much you've put into him.

Amazing.

It's going to take me awhile to dig back in but I'm already enjoying messing around with his rig.

One thing does have me curiously scratching my head so I'm giving you these thoughts from a newbie perspective.

When diving in and re-positioning Sam's arms all parts of the arms and hand move as expected but the shoulder stays in place. I'm probably suppose to know something or toggle a switch but it... bear with me here... it seems odd that his shoulder would remain in place. My thought being that without making any changes an animator should be able to jump in and start animating basic movements without adjusting anything . Having the shoulder not react to the movement of the arm seems counter-intuitive given this newbie mindset.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple and I should go back and read up on the Squetch Rig.

I just had some time and wanted to play with the rig. :)

This is a very complex rig. You've really done great things with it.

I'm now lost somewhere in the face rig...

One thing does have me curiously scratching my head so I'm giving you these thoughts from a newbie perspective.

When diving in and re-positioning Sam's arms all parts of the arms and hand move as expected but the shoulder stays in place. I'm probably suppose to know something or toggle a switch but it... bear with me here... it seems odd that his shoulder would remain in place. My thought being that without making any changes an animator should be able to jump in and start animating basic movements without adjusting anything . Having the shoulder not react to the movement of the arm seems counter-intuitive given this newbie mindset.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple and I should go back and read up on the Squetch Rig.

I'm not understanding the question, Rodney. I'll list off a few things going through my head from this question (in no particular order):

Are you asking about automatic shoulder movement based on the positioning of the arm? I'm sure it's do-able (I did something similar in the Quad Rig in IK). Is that a feature you would like added?

There is a "shoulder_steady" Pose for each side...it maintains the shoulder orientation while rotating the chest.

The shoulder controllers are available in both FK and IK.

Is it that the deformation of the shoulder doesn't look right for certain movements?

Can you make a quick video or series of stills showing the desired behavior? I think it would help me get a better handle on this.

• Admin

I just accidentally dumped my response so here is a second attempt...

I'm not understanding the question, Rodney.

It wasn't so much of a question as an observation. The confusion is likely due to the fact I don't yet know enough to be able to formulate a question. ;)

Are you asking about automatic shoulder movement based on the positioning of the arm? I'm sure it's do-able (I did something similar in the Quad Rig in IK). Is that a feature you would like added?

You seem to know that this is already missing so yes, I think it should be added to the Squetch Rig.

I'm not sure of the specifics here but the lack of automatic shoulder movement when the arm/elbow moves is what I was referring to.

There is a "shoulder_steady" Pose for each side...it maintains the shoulder orientation while rotating the chest.

Perhaps turning these Poses off will allow the shoulder to react as I thought. If that what you are suggesting I'll look into that.

The shoulder controllers are available in both FK and IK.

If turning on/off FK or IK will allow this natural movement of the shoulder perhaps it could be set to default that way.

But I don't think that's what you mean here.

Is it that the deformation of the shoulder doesn't look right for certain movements?

Yes, when I move my (real) elbow out/in or forward/back my shoulder moves with it (mostly in an up/down direction). In playing more with Sam I get the sense that the Chest should be animated/moved first followed by the appendages. This makes sense to me. However, I don't think this understanding addresses the issue of the Shoulder moving naturally with any change to the Arm/Elbow.

Can you make a quick video or series of stills showing the desired behavior? I think it would help me get a better handle on this.

I can but this is pretty basic. If you open Sam in an Action and move his Arm or Elbow his Shoulder will stay in place. A newbie to the Squetch Rig like myself then goes to adjust the Shoulder which in turn moves the Arms/Elbow to a new place. The Arms/Elbow must then be adjusted back to the desire place. The desired effect (as near as I can tell) is that when the Arm moves the Shoulder adjusts as well with no need for further adusting.

I've been meaning to capture video as I'm playing around in A:M and will try to do that. One never knows when sharing that will be useful as it would have been in this case.

You seem to know that this is already missing so yes, I think it should be added to the Squetch Rig.

I'm not sure of the specifics here but the lack of automatic shoulder movement when the arm/elbow moves is what I was referring to.

It's not something that has been included in most biped rigs that I've seen (unless I'm remembering incorrectly), but I know it has been done in rigs in other software. My thinking was that it would end up being something like "auto balance"...a good idea that causes other problems, making it not worth doing.

I'll take a look at it, Rodney.

• Admin
My thinking was that it would end up being something like "auto balance"...a good idea that causes other problems, making it not worth doing.

I think I understand why 'autobalance' is added into many rigs but haven't had a chance to look deeply into it.

Perhaps autobalance is still a good idea but the execution/adaption of it is lacking in critical places?

While reading through TaoA:M I ran across a paragraph on (and I paraphrase) 'the most important principle of animation'.

That element is said to be Weight in the text and it is also suggested in other traditional texts. For instance, Thomas and Johnston in 'The Illusion of Life' suggest Squash and Stretch as the most important principle of animation discovered by the Disney animators because of it's ability to convey the sense of weight to characters. So in this sense Squash and Stretch is seen as a subset and an approach to conveying believable Weight.

Likewise, Balance (the TaoA:M text suggests) is an important indicator (perhaps the most significant indicator) of Weight.

This to me explains why autobalancers in rigging were initially created.

It is an attempt to automate that sense of weight.

That's my very layman's view on autobalancing.

I need to go back and read the text again as that will allow me to better understand what I'm missing in my understanding of it.

I'm not of the extreme school that suggests there can be no autobalancing.

At least not yet.

I should say... I find this subject matter entirely appropriate given that we are dealing with the Squash and Stretch (Squetch) Rig. :)

• Admin

Interestingly... from time to time I think about Tony Tony Lower-Basch's Nosferatu series and think it was just a few years ahead of its time. It might have played well to the kids that are so into vampires and such these days. I decided to look it up while searching for a few old resources and low and behold I ran into the Dojo Project pages. On one of the tutorials it discusses (briefly) what I was experiencing in the Squetch Rig. Of course it suggests that 'fixing' this movement of the shoulder is not something we want... so... so much for the way I think things should be.

These are very old tutorials but really fun.

For those that have never seen them... even educational.

It even has gif animations demonstrating bone movement.

The page I'm referring to with the shoulder example is here:

http://www.museoffire.com/Lyceum/Dojo/Tuto...natomy/T0D3.htm

It's not quite the same issue as what I'm seeing in the Squetch Rig but it's close.

Tony is obviously for leaving it alone.

For those that haven't seen it here is the compiled Nosferatu series... it's toon style... kind of anime... funny and fun:

http://www.museoffire.com/Nosferatu/index.html

Unfortunately, the series was never finished.

If you wander around Tony's website you'll find downloadable models, tutorials and such.

Of course it suggests that this movement of the shoulder is not something we want... so... so much for the way I think things should be.

Well, not completely, Rodney.

The page discusses the shoulder movement based on a kinematic chain, so a little different discussion. That would make the shoulder move at all times, which it shouldn't. The shoulder would come into play whenever the bicep rotates to above level with the shoulder and about twenty degrees forward and back...which can be separated if rigged differently.

Whether or not it is worth adding to a character rig (and whether or not you would be fighting against it more than using it) are more of the debate in my mind.

It would have to be an IK control, because the entire arm will be difficult to control in FK if the shoulder lifts when you try to rotate the bicep. So, it could be an extension of the IK that is already in the rig.

I've been rolling it around in my head a little. I'll have to add a setup to a test version of Sam and try it out...I'm still not sure if it's worth adding.

I hate posting a fix this quickly, but, I missed a minor problem that would keep one of the controllers from being positioned where I think it should go (if anyone is in the middle of an installation, you can just manually reposition the on-face cheek controllers in Bones Mode). I also added some sizing Poses for the new controllers.

Squetchy Sam was unaffected, but I decided to repost him with an updated date to avoid future possible confusion.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

If anyone finds other issues, let me know and I'll fix it as quickly as possible.

I know I shouldn't even bring this up because because it is the reality of our user group, but its so depressing when Someone puts countless hours and effort into and creates something truly remarkable and in my opinion crucial to our community and yet there are less than 10 downloads. If I was a millionaire I honestly would sponsor a by weekly contest paying out $1000.00 for 1st place, 500.00 for 2nd and $50.00 for 3rd.

I would have contests for rigging, SSS, Modeling, animation, and so on.

I bet if I had unlimited funds I could spur a ton of interest in this app. As a wealthy producer said once, when you don't have time or creativity, to solve a problem just blast it away with money.

Thanks for the greta work.

The auto shoulder was part of something I was working on, the IK elbow (adding it as an option to TSM2 rig and the 2008 rig). That's where the forearm and hand would maintain position and the should/bicep would adjust when the chest was animated. It can be quite difficult to animate, putting the shoulder in ackward positions, if not careful. A full IK arm would be even more difficult to animate.

The auto shoulder was part of something I was working on, the IK elbow (adding it as an option to TSM2 rig and the 2008 rig). That's where the forearm and hand would maintain position and the should/bicep would adjust when the chest was animated. It can be quite difficult to animate, putting the shoulder in ackward positions, if not careful. A full IK arm would be even more difficult to animate.

My guess is you're right, Mark.

I found a bone parenting issue that is now corrected, finished the standalone FACE installation for use in other rigs, flipped some normals on Squetchy Sam's teeth, updated some of the documentation and corrected the example Zign Track Action...so a little of everything. I think I found all of the outstanding issues. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can.

-------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------

These files have been deleted. The next version is here.

Hi David ...

In Posable installation steps the last step is to weight cp´s .... Do I need to weight both sides ???

Nosir, you should be able to use the MirrorBone plugin to copy the weighting from one side, Marcos. However, for something like the face, I tend to just copy things manually...arms and legs are good for copying.

Hope that helps.

thanks David .... what must be the setup for the mirrorbone plugin ?

I know I'm not doing it the most efficient way...I just delete all of the left arm and leg bones, set the tolerance on the plugin to ".01" or ".02" on the "use tolerance for cp position" and run it. I think there is a way to do it without deleting the bones, but I never spent the time to figure it out.

Hope that helps, Marcos.

indeed, I'm not in this step yet... :)

I'm a little lost in the step 4 ... the index/finger_install have Translate/Rotate/Scale ... but the other fingers doesn't. Why ? I need rotate/scale (middle, ring, pinky) to adjust them on my model... Am I missing something ?

indeed, I'm not in this step yet... :)

I'm a little lost in the step 4 ... the index/finger_install have Translate/Rotate/Scale ... but the other fingers doesn't. Why ? I need rotate/scale (middle, ring, pinky) to adjust them on my model... Am I missing something ?

The method for installing the fingers changed last December, so they might be unfamiliar at this point. I made a quick video when the change went in that might help...it's in this post.

I'm going to be putting together the installation tutorials as time permits...there are still a few things that need to be tweaked first though. I realize it has taken forever, but the rig has undergone a lot of changes and I only want to make the tutorial once...or at least one that will last for quite a while.

Hope that helps, Marcos.

Did someone say vid tutorial

Yes, but I've been trying to put it together over quite a long time...things have changed too much. I don't want to put it together and then have it outdated immediately. It is actually going to be a lot of little tutorials on how to use and set up the rig as well as install it. I have several things that I need to tweak in the rig before it can happen, but it is part of the rotation in my "things to do" list. At the moment, I'm about two months behind where I want to be on my personal project, so I've been concentrating mostly on that lately (although I squeezed in a rig update).

I've got a quick upgrade to the FACE interface that will make it a lot more adaptable and a foot control that I would like to put in (still need to experiment with it and see if it is worth adding...it would be very cool if I can get it workable) and I need to do an experiment with a shoulder setup that I don't think will end up being viable (so I'll just do a quick test first on that).

Once I can get the set modeling finished for my personal project, I'll be doing more rotating of things...which has worked very well this year at getting stuff released (I think it has been six under five minute tutorials and one thirty minute tutorial). Another week or two and I think I'll be at that point, I'm thinking.

My focus for while is body rig ... I didn't install face rig yet.

When do I assign cps to bones ?

Once you have the bones positioned in an Action, export the model, delete the installation Poses, import the "FINAL_IMPORT" models that apply to what you're working with, run the "InstallRig" plugin and then start assigning CP's.

Hope that helps, Marcos.