Hash, Inc. Forums

Squetch Rig downloads

itsjustme

Another quick update. This includes the typo fixes in the face setup instructions and the auto hips and spine are set to "not set" in the "FINAL_IMPORT" models.

Thanks to Mark Skodacek and Ken Heslip for the corrections.

If anyone finds a problem, let us know and we'll fix it as fast as we can.

-----------------------

EDIT

-----------------------

These files have been deleted, the next update is here.

Hi David - I have searched this thread and I know this question has been asked a zillion times - I am really searching for what the objective is and what the exact procedure is for "reset compensate" -

For example:I looked at the word doc and the first time I come to:

In the "Animation_Controls/HEAD/NECK/head_and_neck_orient_like_chest" Pose, reset the

compensate on head_orient_like_chest ("orient like spine_FK_3_chest") at

100% and 0%

When you have to recomp at 100% and 0%, set the enforcement to 0% hit the compensate button and set the enforcement to 100%. Then, hit compensate again and set the enforcement back to 0%

1) Is the objective to reset the constraint offsets and to make the offset value the same at both 100% and at 0% of the pose ?

2) Is this the proper procedure?:

A) right click on the relationship - select edit

B) with red pose slider at 100: set enforcement to 0. Hit compensate button. set enforcement back to 100.

C) with red pose slider at 0: set enforcement to 100. Hit compensate button. Set enforcement back to 0

D) close pose/relationship window

Thanks

Hi David - I have searched this thread and I know this question has been asked a zillion times - I am really searching for what the objective is and what the exact procedure is for "reset compensate" -

For example:I looked at the word doc and the first time I come to:

In the "Animation_Controls/HEAD/NECK/head_and_neck_orient_like_chest" Pose, reset the

compensate on head_orient_like_chest ("orient like spine_FK_3_chest") at

100% and 0%

When you have to recomp at 100% and 0%, set the enforcement to 0% hit the compensate button and set the enforcement to 100%. Then, hit compensate again and set the enforcement back to 0%

1) Is the objective to reset the constraint offsets and to make the offset value the same at both 100% and at 0% of the pose ?

Yes.

2) Is this the proper procedure?:

A) right click on the relationship - select edit

B) with red pose slider at 100: set enforcement to 0. Hit compensate button. set enforcement back to 100.

C) with red pose slider at 0: set enforcement to 100. Hit compensate button. Set enforcement back to 0

D) close pose/relationship window

Yes, that's how it works before v15...the compensate is on by default in v15.

Hope that helps, Nancy.

Hope that helps, Nancy.

Thanks, David.

uhhh...I'm using 15 - when editing the pose the compensate button isn't on ...I believe you mean when one first sets the constraint (orient, translate) - that the compensate is on by default? The procedure for resetting in ver 15 and before is the same?

Hope that helps, Nancy.

Thanks, David.

uhhh...I'm using 15 - when editing the pose the compensate button isn't on ...I believe you mean when one first sets the constraint (orient, translate) - that the compensate is on by default? The procedure for resetting in ver 15 and before is the same?

I think that you won't have to hit the compensate button in v15 since the default for it is to compensate...you'll have to tell me if that's true though.

Hope that helps, Nancy.

This update includes the combining of some left/right Poses in the face setup. The face setup instructions have also been updated.

Thanks to Mark Skodacek and Ken Heslip for the updates.

----------------------------

EDIT

These files were deleted, the next update is here.

This update includes the combining of some left/right Poses in the face setup. The face setup instructions have also been updated.

Hi,

This release is different then the release I installed only a week or two ago which was new back then (I'm not sure of the rig date). I just want to make sure about what I'm seeing.

You have split out the relationships so that when you import 13s_Posable_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_04_11_2008.mdl the only relationships you get are the Install poses. Then later on in the install process you import other files (i.e. FINAL_IMPORT_Posable_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_04_11_2008.mdl and others depending on what options you want) in order to get the other of the poses.

What confuses me is that 'seemingly' (I could be mixed up) the version of the rig I installed only a week or so ago has the same "FINAL_IMPORT" model files (that you import later) and yet, I've only imported the "13s_Posable" file and I have ALL of the poses.

Sorry if I'm complicating things... I'm very tired. I just didn't expect what seems like such a fundamental change from the last rig. I'm also wondering if I should rip out the rig I installed a week or so ago and redo it with this newer version.

Thanks,

Rusty

PS: any estimates of the new install tuts (or documentation ) your working on will come out?

You have split out the relationships so that when you import 13s_Posable_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_04_11_2008.mdl the only relationships you get are the Install poses. Then later on in the install process you import other files (i.e. FINAL_IMPORT_Posable_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_04_11_2008.mdl and others depending on what options you want) in order to get the other of the poses.

Yes, that was done so that the installation Poses and the Poses for animating wouldn't conflict (a few things did...mainly Expressions). The add-ons are handled the same way.

What confuses me is that 'seemingly' (I could be mixed up) the version of the rig I installed only a week or so ago has the same "FINAL_IMPORT" model files (that you import later) and yet, I've only imported the "13s_Posable" file and I have ALL of the poses.

I double-checked the installation files...you must have some Poses either left over from a previous installation or have accidentally combined the installation files somehow, Rusty.

Sorry if I'm complicating things... I'm very tired. I just didn't expect what seems like such a fundamental change from the last rig. I'm also wondering if I should rip out the rig I installed a week or so ago and redo it with this newer version.

I don't know how fundamental the change was...it just eliminated a few of the face setup Poses. You can just delete the left and right versions of them and drag the new combined left/right Poses into your character to update the rig you recently installed. The new Poses are in the "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/mouth_ud_limits_setup", "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/mouth_lr_limits_setup", "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/jaw_limits_setup", "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/LowerTeeth_limits" and "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/Maxilla_limits" folders.

PS: any estimates of the new install tuts (or documentation ) your working on will come out?

I don't have a concrete release date. What I'm doing is modeling the character that I'm going to use for the tutorial, which is also a character for my personal project. In addition, I'm doing work on the Quad Rig update and modeling a quadruped to be used as an example rigged character (and to test the Quad installation), like Squetchy Sam. Once the modeling on the biped character is done, I'll rig him and make the installation tutorial while I'm doing that. The character's body is modeled, I'm working on his head/face now. I've been trying to get to this personal project for more than a year (actually, a previous version of the same project was a goal for several years) and I decided that if I'm ever going to get it done, it will have to be a higher priority than it has been up to this point. The best guess I can give you is that the tutorial should be done a couple of weeks after the character's modeling is finished.

There was a parenting issue in the installations that is corrected in this update (I also re-packaged and renamed everything for neatness).

If you have a character already rigged using the installations since March, the fix is to re-parent the "right_thigh_base", "left_thigh_base", "right_calf_base" and "left_calf_base" by dragging them (with their child bones) from the "body_SQUETCH_base/body_SQUETCH_pivot/body_SQUETCH_character/base_bone/hips/spine_hips_lower_controller" to the "body_SQUETCH_base/body_SQUETCH_pivot/body_SQUETCH_character/base_bone/hips" instead.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks to Mark Skodacek for finding this error.

--------------------------------------

EDIT

--------------------------------------

These files have been deleted, the next update is in the next post.

This update fixes a problem with the four-fingered Hand Gizmo's middle carpal (also the Foot Gizmo), the FACE Poses now have Squetchy Sam's Poses without muscle movement and there's a PDF that explains how to set up the FACE Poses.

Thanks to Mark Skodacek, Marcos Rezende and Holmes Bryant for these updates.

------------------

EDIT

------------------

I updated the "FACE_Interface_Setup" instruction PDF...there was a typo (an extra bracket was in the HTML) and I added the Preston Blair Poses to the end. I use those Poses as a double-check for the FACE setup. It wasn't enough in my mind to re-package everything, so I'm just posting the updated PDF for now. If there is another rig update, I'll include it in that release.

-------------------

EDIT

-------------------

The next rig update includes this PDF, so this file was deleted. The next update ishere.

Here is an update that fixes a problem caused by a change in the way Expressions are handled in v15. If you have a previous installation that you need to fix to work in v15, change out the "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/face_setup_Expressions_DO_NOT_TOUCH" Pose. Then, use a text editor to "search and replace" the following bone names:

"nostrils_move_with_lip_corners_scaler" is now "nostrils_with_lip_corners_scaler"

"nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler" is now "nostrils_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler"

"nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler" is now "nostrils_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler"

Thanks to Mark Skodacek, Holmes Bryant and Nancy Gormezano for finding and helping to work out the problem.

---------------------------

EDIT

---------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update. This adds separate left and right "Blink" Poses. It should make it easier to wink or offset blinks.

If you have a previous installation that you want to update, copy the "blink_switch" null twice, move them to the left and right limits of the "Blink" box in the FACE interface and rename the nulls "blink_left_switch" and "blink_right_switch". Then delete the relationships for the "Animation_Controls/FACE Interface/Blink" Pose, the "Animation_Controls/FACE Interface/FACE off/Joint Controls/Split Controls" Pose and the "Animation_Controls/FACE Interface/Constraints (do not touch)/Face Control Constraints" Pose. Drag and drop those Pose Relationships from a version of Squetchy Sam to replace them with the updated Poses and drag the "Animation_Controls/FACE Interface/Blink_individual/Blink_right" and "Animation_Controls/FACE Interface/Blink_individual/Blink_left" Poses from Sam to your character as well. Then, drag and drop the Smartskins for the "blink_right_switch" and "blink_left_switch" from Squetchy Sam onto your character.

--------------------------

EDIT

The next update is located in the next post in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Added some FK finger controls (they are also on the Foot Gizmo version toes) to make it easier to add overlap to finger movement. There is a quick video attached here to give you an idea of how to use it.

I can post the steps to update a previous installation if anyone needs it.

--------------------------------

EDIT

--------------------------------

The next rig release is here...this version was deleted.

FK_finger_controls_Sorenson3.mov

• 3 weeks later...
I guess the only thing left is a video tutorial? Maybe? Any time soon? ;)

Yessir, that's where I'm at, Dhar. I've been modeling a character for my personal project that I'm going to use in the tutorial...I have been pretty obsessive, I realize. Also, I want to figure out the possibilities of using TSM in the installation process, I don't want the tutorial to be outdated immediately after I finish it.

I figure the character will be finished late this week and I'm hoping to have the TSM integration figured out by then as well. I'll start a thread for my character when he's finished and then I'll get started on the tutorial. Sorry it has taken so long, I've been extremely busy.

No need to apologize, I was just wondering what's next.

Sounds great! A TSM Squetch rig is a win/win situation. I can hardly wait.

Take your time, obsess about it, its gonna be awesome.

• 1 month later...

but another quick question: there was a thread a few month ago where you suggested to add some dynamic constraints for a belly-bouncing to the squetch-rig. does the newset version now have this feature??? i opened up the latest squetchy sam, but couldn´t find it... if not, could you give me a rough short introduction how to set something like this up?

i just copied the last install-rig.hxt plug in for mac into my hxt-folder, now a:m says "unable to load plug-in install-rig.hxt" when opening... i also tried the hxt from the version before, same problem...

The good news is that there shouldn't be any difference between an older version of the InstallRig plugin and the most recently posted version, Sebastian. So, using the old one you have would be fine.

I don't have a Mac, so I can't check that version of the plugin...if someone else on a Mac could confirm the problem, and one that we know works gets posted, I'll replace the one in the released version of the rig. I hope that made sense.

• 1 year later...

Steve George (Tunames) is working on installing the FACE Rig in a character rigged with the 2008 Rig and ran into some issues. I hammered out an installation version of the standalone FACE Rig from the unreleased version of the rig to make things easier (no compensates to reset). I added the latest version of Squetchy Sam so that there is an installed reference.

Once I get the tail rig I'm working on finished, I'll post a complete update of the biped and quadruped rigs before I work on the face rig upgrade.

-------------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------------

The next release of the standalone FACE Rig and Squetchy Sam is here.

i just copied the last install-rig.hxt plug in for mac into my hxt-folder, now a:m says "unable to load plug-in install-rig.hxt" when opening... i also tried the hxt from the version before, same problem...

The good news is that there shouldn't be any difference between an older version of the InstallRig plugin and the most recently posted version, Sebastian. So, using the old one you have would be fine.

I don't have a Mac, so I can't check that version of the plugin...if someone else on a Mac could confirm the problem, and one that we know works gets posted, I'll replace the one in the released version of the rig. I hope that made sense.

mac test

placing the install rig in the the .hxt folder crashes AM

even if i remove all of the other hxt's

mac snow leopard 15.oh

mac test

placing the install rig in the the .hxt folder crashes AM

even if i remove all of the other hxt's

mac snow leopard 15.oh

Hmmm, it it's the Mac version of the InstallRig plugin, then I'm not sure what the problem would be. I know that before v15.0f, the plugins were compiled differently. I haven't used the plugin with anything past v15.0f (in Windows), I'll have to see if it works when I get home tonight to confirm that.

If it's a matter of recompiling the plugin, that would be something to ask Steffen about.

I tested the InstallRig plugin in v15.0g in Windows and had no problems. Is there anyone on a Mac running v15.0g or h that is able to use the InstallRig plugin? Or is everyone on a Mac having this issue?

Now, my question is, did A:M crash when trying to run the plugin, or was the program unable to start? Then, if A:M crashed when trying to run the plugin, have you tried running the plugin while in Modeling mode? I have had no problems if I run the plugin in Modeling mode, but I have occasionally had some issues if I stay in Bones mode.

I tested the InstallRig plugin in v15.0g in Windows and had no problems. Is there anyone on a Mac running v15.0g or h that is able to use the InstallRig plugin? Or is everyone on a Mac having this issue?

Now, my question is, did A:M crash when trying to run the plugin, or was the program unable to start? Then, if A:M crashed when trying to run the plugin, have you tried running the plugin while in Modeling mode? I have had no problems if I run the plugin in Modeling mode, but I have occasionally had some issues if I stay in Bones mode.

HI

the program fails to launch with the install rig in the hxt folder

j

HI

the program fails to launch with the install rig in the hxt folder

j

That would be something for Steffen to take a look at then...make a report on AMReports.

It would help if several Mac users tested to see if they also have this problem to help narrow it down. If there is anyone on a Mac running v15g or h that can test to see if the InstallRig plugin works and post in this thread, please do. Another thing I'm wondering, is if it will work using Bootcamp or some other Windows emulator.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another update to the standalone FACE controls (for use in characters without the Squetch Rig installed). I cleaned up a few things and included a version that is just the eyes/eyelids and tongue bones setup and the full bones face setup.

The installation assumes that your character has a bone named "head" and a "hips" bone to anchor the "calc" bones. If there are any problems, let me know and I'll fix them as fast as I can.

---------------------------------

EDIT

---------------------------------

The next update is here.

Here's another update to the standalone FACE controls (for use in characters without the Squetch Rig installed). I cleaned up a few things and included a version that is just the eyes/eyelids and tongue bones setup and the full bones face setup.

The installation assumes that your character has a bone named "head" and a "hips" bone to anchor the "calc" bones. If there are any problems, let me know and I'll fix them as fast as I can.

Hi David

I tried to install the new rig on my mac but still no luck

here is the report back from support summary and response

don't know if anyone else is having this problem

Summary: OSX install rig.hxt

Description:

placing the stretch rig

OSX_InstallRig.hxt

causes AM to crash on startup

AM fails to launch

I didn't know ,from where You have got this plugin .

This is not in the official distribution , it is only InstallRig.hxt

included .

(without the suffix "OSX_" )

Hi David

I tried to install the new rig on my mac but still no luck

here is the report back from support summary and response

don't know if anyone else is having this problem

Summary: OSX install rig.hxt

Description:

placing the stretch rig

OSX_InstallRig.hxt

causes AM to crash on startup

AM fails to launch

I didn't know ,from where You have got this plugin .

This is not in the official distribution , it is only InstallRig.hxt

included .

(without the suffix "OSX_" )

It's the only OSX plugin that there has been for installing the Squetch Rig...the 2008 Rig uses it as well. I don't have a Mac, so I can't recreate the problem. What we need is for Mac users to test the plugin to see if anyone with OSX is able to get it to work. I guess we'll have to ask in a different area of the forum to get our answer.

Hi David. Thanks for the updates. Any idea when you'll have the rig that won't need any resetting of compensates available?

I'm in the process of getting the tail rig finished, then I have to change the IK on the arms and legs to get rid of the "snap", then I'll release a version of the rig. Other than those two things, I could release what I have...if those aren't problems, I can give you a version that is where I'm at, Ken.

The tail update is extremely close to being done...I think. The updates to the arms and legs shouldn't take more than a couple of days of tinkering once I get to it. After I post the next release, I have an update to the face setup and the "gut rig" to add as well.

• 1 month later...

I found a few things that needed fixing in the standalone FACE installation...the mouth fan bones and orient bones were affected. Here is a fixed update for the standalone FACE installation.

If anyone has an installation that used the previous version, I can outline how to correct the problem...let me know if you need it.

Thanks to Steve Shelton for getting me to look into this.

13s_Standalone_Posable_FACE_installation_02_18_2010.zip

• 1 month later...

Here's the latest test version of Squetchy Sam...he has an updated arm and leg rig that includes soft IK. I've done some testing, but I'm sure I haven't tried everything, so I figure someone else might find things I've missed. Give him a test drive and see where he breaks.

I have nearly finished updating the installation rigs for the biped installation...I'm hoping to get those finished and then update the Quad installations over the next couple of days. If everything works out, I'll get a release put together for the biped rig in the next week or so. I want to get the tail rig update done before releasing the Quad version, so that will be delayed a little.

EDIT

An updated Squetchy Sam is in the next post...this version was deleted.

Here's the next update for the biped Squetch Rig. There are a lot of tweaks in this version...here's a partial list:

renamed z_right/left_toes_IK_pointer in four finger FINAL_IMPORT (IK/FK pose)

deleted additional switch Poses in four finger install

tightened up bone positions in the arms and legs

fixed manipulator limits for elbow and knee controllers

added manipulator limits on toes and heels

fixed the bicep flexing when the wrists are twisted

increased the movement on some of the installations poses

added a second elbow fan bone on each arm

added a second knee fan bone on each leg

added more geometry bones in the arms to make setting up the limb bowing easier

right_wrist_fan_geom deleted an aim-roll-at constraint

Master_EyeTarget orient like removed

z_Center_eye_aiming_bone remove store roll

Eye_left_socket_base_geom...remove rotate only

FK/IK neck added

FACE-Interface Master....translate to head_FK_control after neck update

"right/left_knee_orient_like_foot_IK", the lowest setting is now ".01" to fix a problem

fixed circularity issue caused by constraints on the hips_geom bone

added right/left_thigh_orient_FK bones to correct FK leg rolling in biped rig

changed head resizing for more accurate sizing

improved eyelid bone installation

improved mouth bone installation

changed minimum to .01% for Blink Pose

updated chest and stomach IO Poses

tweaked shoulders in the biped rig so that squetching can be done using the shoulder controllers

separated toe squetching from foot squetching

fixed toes 'Z' rotation

eliminated compensates in both biped and Quad rigs

updated arm and leg setups for backward bending and soft IK

As always, huge thanks to Mark Skodacek for his help throughout the work on this update...which has been quite a while in the making. Also, thanks to Chris Dailey for getting me to work on adding soft IK.

I've done a lot of checking, but considering the number of things that have changed, I probably missed a few things. So, if anyone finds an issue, let me know and I'll fix it as quickly as I can. Next, I'm going to update the legs in the Quad Rig.

EDIT

The next version of the biped rig is here. The next version of Squetchy Sam is here.

Thanks David. Well, I didn't help with this update, did a little testing here and there.

Maybe I'll give the installation rig a try this weekend. I was thinking about installing all the available rigs in the JD model, so people can compare them all.

Thanks David. Well, I didn't help with this update, did a little testing here and there.

Maybe I'll give the installation rig a try this weekend. I was thinking about installing all the available rigs in the JD model, so people can compare them all.

If you go through the list of tweaks, you were involved in several...it's just taken me a long time to put together a release.

A multiple rigged JD would be cool, sounds like a great project.

Ok, I've been giving Sam a once over, still looking.

Here are a few things I found so far, first is the placement of the neck/head bones. If you're placing the spine towards the back of the model, I would do the same for the neck and head. I guess this is adjustable in the installation? This is more of a preference than a rig problem. Also, I would add a switch null for the head and neck FK/IK pose.

I didn't notice this in the previous version, but it was there. Why are there 4 geom bones per segment and 3 geom bones per segment for the forearm and bicep (the legs don't have these)? Is this for weighting purposes? This makes weighting for the users difficult. Couldn't a pose slider be used to adjust the roll that is targeted between different targets? Then the user could just set the slider for each segment for the twisting in the user properties.

The wrist doesn't seem to work that well, but I think that is a weighting issue, not a rig issue.

Other than that, everything seems to work so far.

Here are a few things I found so far, first is the placement of the neck/head bones. If you're placing the spine towards the back of the model, I would do the same for the neck and head. I guess this is adjustable in the installation? This is more of a preference than a rig problem. Also, I would add a switch null for the head and neck FK/IK pose.

The neck and spine don't have to be connected...they can be if it is installed that way though. The reason I did it as separate pieces is so that the squetching would look right. If I angle the spine, it will squetch at an angle.

An FK/IK switch for the neck is an easy addition.

I didn't notice this in the previous version, but it was there. Why are there 4 geom bones per segment and 3 geom bones per segment for the forearm and bicep (the legs don't have these)? Is this for weighting purposes? This makes weighting for the users difficult. Couldn't a pose slider be used to adjust the roll that is targeted between different targets? Then the user could just set the slider for each segment for the twisting in the user properties.

The arm does a lot of twisting that the leg doesn't. I added bones that rotate at different percentages so that you could use them to do things like have the third bone rotate like the first bone and still have the limb bowing work correctly.

The wrist doesn't seem to work that well, but I think that is a weighting issue, not a rig issue.

Is that on Sam? There are probably a few places his CP Weighting could be tweaked.

Other than that, everything seems to work so far.

Thanks for taking a look at it, Mark!

The neck and spine don't have to be connected...they can be if it is installed that way though. The reason I did it as separate pieces is so that the squetching would look right. If I angle the spine, it will squetch at an angle.

No, that's not what I meant. You have the spine bones towards the back of the model to give you a more realistic rotation, wouldn't the same go for the neck and head?

Also, I still don't see a reason for the multiple geom bones for each segment of the arms. I'll keep looking to see if I can find out why. ;)

No, that's not what I meant. You have the spine bones towards the back of the model to give you a more realistic rotation, wouldn't the same go for the neck and head?

Also, I still don't see a reason for the multiple geom bones for each segment of the arms. I'll keep looking to see if I can find out why. ;)

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry about that, Mark. What you're saying makes sense...the neck and head bones should probably be moved more toward the back.

Each of the four bones in the bicep/forearm are set to a certain amount of rotation, the first number in the name is the location and the second is the rotation. So, the "00" bone is located at the base of the bicep/forearm and rotates with the least amount of rotation. Then, the "03" bone is located in the same place, but has the most rotation set on it. This allows you to weight the CP's with the rotation of say the fourth bone while being in the location of the first bone. Normally, that is ridiculous...unless you need the arm to bow, then it makes sense. You can weight each section of the arm in whatever way you need to get the rotation and bowing required.

EDIT

I think a better description for the extra bones would be "Z rotation fan bones" because they move the same on the 'X' and 'Y' axes.