Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Combined or Separated TaoA:M Exercises?

Combined or Separated TaoA:M Exercises?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

We've tested this twice before but this time there is a difference... TaoA:M now has a forum area of its own.

As such I'm interested in your feedback.

For those that have worked their way through TaoA:M before or those that will be working through it later. What are the pros and cons of the various choices?

How would you prefer to complete the TaoA:M exercises?

All feedback is welcome and will be used to enhance the TaoA:M experience.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted to have each exercise in it's own thread as now. I toyed with the idea of having a separate thread for each user, which would be fun to go back to, and more personalised, but it wouldn't be as easy for other people to find the exercise they are doing to learn from. And it is a learning forum.

When I was doing TaoA:M, I looked through the whole thread before starting the exercise. This was so I could get hints on where people go wrong.

What about archiving them by year, so they don't get massively long?

I voted the same as Caroline. I'm a believer in structured exercises, and I like visiting each folder and followng the exercise there. It's like being in school and going to the class that teaches a specific subject. I like the fact that I can also compare the different interpretations of the exercise by each member right there in one folder.

• Admin

I started to respond to you Caroline but didn't want to bias the poll. ;)

I think it might be nice to have the tutorial threads pinned as well, so they are always front and center in the correct order.

I'm certainly not opposed to pinning each exercises but consider that pinning them would take up the entire page.

Perhaps that would be fine as that would be pretty much everything in the TaoA:M forum. ;)

I'll definitely consider that.

One of the interesting things that happen by leaving them unpinned is that it gives us feedback as to which Exercises have been recently posted to. Any new post will bump that particular Exercise to the top.

This is something that doesn't happen if they are pinned in their proper order.

Another benefit... In theory this continual bumping up should prompt others to keep up!

Then the cycle begins anew.

There is considerable disagreement on the importance of pinned topics.

One side feels pinned topics often get easily overlooked while the other side looks for them almost exclusively.

There appears to be little middleground in the debate but I try to sit right there on that fence. ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

I started to respond to you Caroline but didn't want to bias the poll. ;)

I think it might be nice to have the tutorial threads pinned as well, so they are always front and center in the correct order.

I'm certainly not opposed to pinning each exercises but consider that pinning them would take up the entire page.

Perhaps that would be fine as that would be pretty much everything in the TaoA:M forum. ;)

I'll definitely consider that.

One of the interesting things that happen by leaving them unpinned is that it gives us feedback as to which Exercises have been recently posted to. Any new post will bump that particular Exercise to the top.

This is something that doesn't happen if they are pinned in their proper order.

Another benefit... In theory this continual bumping up should prompt others to keep up!

Then the cycle begins anew.

There is considerable disagreement on the importance of pinned topics.

One side feels pinned topics often get easily overlooked while the other side looks for them almost exclusively.

There appears to be little middleground in the debate but I try to sit right there on that fence. ;)

Never thought of it like that Rodney, and it makes perfect sense.

Al

I voted the same as the people above me.

Some of the websites i been on have had something similar to the (My Own Production Journal), IT was more along the lines of a blog though. We could keep our local journeys written down as well as info. Not to mention add pictures an videos. This would be something nice for those who graduate from TaoA;M

Just a thought, im not in a good mood after A:M crashed most of tonight...

I voted on doing your own production journal thing. I think this is good because then you can go in and people could see what you have done and how far you are progressing and see your strngths all in one little spot. This would make it easier for people to give you tips that are meant for you in fixing things and where YOU not the group or where most people have gone wrong but where you have gone wrong and where it needs correcting.

On the flip side having each one in its own topic would be better for archiving and seeing a bunch of peoples work like one of you said (srry dont have time right now to go back and quote) would if we did it to where you can post in the individual excercise topics but also have a topic (journal thing) with all your own work in it then people would be able to look at everything in and find it in diferent ways by exerciser or by user.

But i would have to say i like the journal idea the BEST.

• Admin

The Poll continues with keeping things the same leading by a small but wide margin. (9 responses is pretty good considering how many alumni and practicing TaoA:Mers frequent the forum)

A little insight into my own thinking now to stir the pot.

We've tested the idea of personal threads for each student at least twice before.

Interest seemed to dwindle. Why such a thing occurred is mostly a matter of speculation.

I would guess that one of thhe reason is that people are anxious to get through the TaoA:M exercises quickly.

Taking time to comment on others work isn't part of that goal. (Note: As people realize the benefits it becomes one for most eventually). This 'norming' process is natural and combined topics seem to accelerate the process of team forming.

By the end of TaoA:M most have met several people with whom they will collaraborate later even if only in a supportive role.

I'm not a fan of polling and this one is no different.

First and foremost the assumption has been set that the answer is 'either... or'.

Thus far the core has weighed in and expressed the importance of the combined topics.

That is surprising yet reassuring as that is my own take on the matter. Historically its been successful too.

I keep returning to the separated/personal threads for a reason.

I'm just not entirely sure what those reasons are. I do know that there are many benefits that can arise from having a personal journal... a portfolio if you will.

Is it possible to have both the combined exercise topic and the portfolio?

I don't really know so we'll have to consider this more.

What does success look like?

How do we encourage participation?

How do we make the experience more relevant?

How do we provide better feedback to the student?

How do we speed the aspiring animator on their journey?

Everyone is encouraged to consider the options with me. :)

Thanks again for the excellent feedback.

I like it the way it is for the same reasons Dhar stated. But I wonder if you could have an option to apply a filter or something, to view just the posts of a particular person; kind of like when you view a member profile and pick the "Posts" tab, but tailored to look like the production journal idea Geoff described.

I voted for the same they are now... but... i think that each person should make their own *My Own Production Journal* with all their stuff in their also... this lets you look at a person that you make like and see all their work as they progress... but keeping the regular way also so that people can do like caroline said... see all the others peoples things in that one exercise so that they can use it as a *guide* on how they should and shouldnt do their exercise...

i dont know though.

wow... i completely missed rodneys post about the same thing i just said.... sorry

• Admin
I like it the way it is for the same reasons Dhar stated. But I wonder if you could have an option to apply a filter or something, to view just the posts of a particular person; kind of like when you view a member profile and pick the "Posts" tab, but tailored to look like the production journal idea Geoff described.

I briefly toyed with the idea of having everyone keep a production journal offline and then they would 'Submit' once a Exercise was done. Once submitted what was local would become public.

This wouldn't be hard to implement... but as a non-programmer it probably wouldn't be very optimal. ;)

We could probably piggyback off of TWO to keep all the TaoA:M updates current.

That'd could be really really cool stuff.

Best not to imagine the possiblities too much. ;)

I think the full solution will have to wait for now.

We'll keep doing the best we can with what we've got.

Keep that feedback coming!

When I was going through TAo:AM, I found it really helpful and inspiring to see everyone else's posts for the exercise I was working on. Having them each in their own topic (like they are now), I find is most beneficial to help us learn. We can quickly see how others tackled the assignments, what obstacles they encountered, and the solutions to get through them. If each person kept a personal journal for their exercises, I feel people would be less inclined to look through them for help and inspiration.

Just my two cents :).

- Michael