Hash, Inc. Forums

"Rig along with me"

mtpeak2

For those of you interested, I will be setting up a project with a model and the posable squetch rig. Together we will install the rig in the model provided. I will post the project in this thread. For each step of the process I will start a new thread, to make it easier to follow and for you to post questions that have to do with that particular step. I have selected a model, but I am waiting for permission to use it from the creator. As soon as I here from him, I will post the project.

I would like everyone to use the same model, but you can use your own if you want. The reason is, if you're having a problem, I can figure it out easier. Then, after going through this exercise and you rig your own model, you will have a better understanding on how to install it.

Looks like we'll have quite a few participants, great. Unfortunately I haven't heard from Jeff Bolle (Zaryin) the creator of the model. I know he had computer problems, but I thought he was back, I guess he's still having problems. He did offer to donate the model to the extra DVD, I even rigged it with the squetch rig for him, but it never made it to the DVD. I'm not sure what happened there. I'm sure he wouldn't have problem with me using it, I have the model, but I'm sort of iffy about using it without permission. So, I have to decide on a different model and I'm not sure which one I want to use. We will start this in the next couple of days, tomorrow or friday.

Hey Mark ... I'm in !!!! I intend to re-rig Pzu to new animation ...

actually, if you want we can use him ( it ? ) in this amazing tutorial ...

Then i donate it to Extra DVD ....

Edited by Xtaz

Cool idea. I think you should take advantage of this Mark. If everyone rigged one of the Extra DVD characters, then there'd be a whole stock of them ready to go with the new rig. :D Less work for you later. ;)

But it might be more prudent to do the one model for now.

Mark,

Well you know I was just starting on it so this is perfect timing for me. I'll probably rig the model you use concurrently with the model I was starting on. My body model (the wardrobe) is separate from the head model (the virtual actor) and they are constrained together in the chor but I'll branch off of this quirk on my own.

Jeff's a great guy -- he helped me on a project with several other people a couple of years back -- I'm sure he won't mind if it's his model but... I guess better safe then sorry.

Looking forward to it!

Rusty

Jeff's a great guy -- he helped me on a project with several other people a couple of years back -- I'm sure he won't mind if it's his model but... I guess better safe then sorry.

Yes, that would be "safe than sorry". But you're excused if English isn't your first language. ;)

Carry on.

Thanks for the offer, Marcos, but this version of the posable rig has five finger and a nose. :D Also, I'm going to setup a version that has the foot gizmo, if I had it ready, I would use the Kong model, I may have to do just that.

Can I use five finger rig in a character with four fingers ???

Kong is an amazing model ... this tutorial will be great !!!

Thx for you effort...

Yes, that would be "safe than sorry". But you're excused if English isn't your first language. ;)

Carry on.

lol...maybe that's what he meant. You're safe until you're caught and then you're sorry :D

I'm excited to get started, I also just started a model that could benefit from this!

Lee

Carry on.

Whoops. After 20 years of...

If (whatever)

THEN

do this

else

do that

All 'than's and 'then's became... 'then's. Don't know why. :-)

But what's amazing is... well, you must be really bored to actually create a post to point it out. Happy I could help.

he he

r

But what's amazing is... well, you must be really bored to actually create a post to point it out. Happy I could help.

That and it's a pet hate. Plus if I didn't correct you, who would! :D

... and it's a pet hate. Plus if I didn't correct you, who would! :D

My pet hates on posts are "there" used instead of "they're" and "there" mixed with "their".. as in "Pixar have there new movie out today and there showing it for free" Ggggrgrrrrrrrr .....

I had an ex girlfriend who couldn't tell the difference and I think she's still in a high paying job !!

Well, Jeff finally got back to me and said I can use his model for the exercise. David has a new update to the squetch rig (limb bowing). He says he may have it ready tonight. If so, then it looks like we're going to the this started tomorrow. I will post a new thread, "getting started". I will post the project and go through some thing before we get started. See you there.

Sorry for the delay. David didn't quite get finished last night with the update, so we will have to wait another day. Believe me, the wait is well worth it. He may have it finished tonight, so another day won't hurt. We will get the ball rolling, eventually. ;)

Ok, we will be getting this started shortly. Sorry for the delays, but the wait is over. I do ask one thing, please do not post to the step threads til I'm finished posting. I will post an "Onto Next Step" post, then you can post to the thread. We will begin with a "Getting Started" thread. Thanks.

This is very cool that you're doing this!

And already I have a question! :-)

Following along in Step 2, I max out the "Translate_white_leg_install_bones_Y_axis" at 1200%, but they don't reach as high as your example. Shouldn't my numbers match up nearly exactly?

I'm using 14b3 on a Mac.

step2.jpg

It appears you didn't scale the base bone as much as I did, causing the the translation of the white install bone to max out early. It also my have something to do with v14, I'll look. Also, once people start rigging their own models, I will adjust the poses for translation, rotation and scale to suit their needs.

I think I've figured out what I did wrong. I was scaling the "head install" bone to the top of his head, rather than going by the top of the base bone. Now the numbers are going right.

I found a problem after exporting the model from the action. When running the install rig plug-in, there is a bone that gets translated to a far off distance. This may be part of the update that David sent me on the weekend. There may be a pose the needs to be turned off in the squetch rig before exporting. I'm looking into it now and hopefully I'll find the problem soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.