Hash, Inc. Forums

Water elemental

Well asides from the hands and eyeballs she's mostly done modeling.

I'm having a hard time making it look 'wet' enough..

waterElemental-1.jpg

Render time is painful on her though... ~40 min for this shot (2 1/2 min per pass roughly)

Update: Here's a final animation

Water elemental animation 840Kb SWF

Ignore the black speckles theyre fixed in v14 im told and I had to re-render the last 10 frames and of course somehow my lighting settings got changed.

Well Got her hands put in and got the Squetch pose install put in tonight.

I got her cp's assigned for everything except the hands using bones with falloff & CP weights and I must say I only had to tweak 3-4 little areas. And she distorts and bends beautifully. BIG BIG kudos to the hash guys for making those so easy to use and tweak.

Also think I came up with an acceptable 'wet' look.. I increased the transparency a little and reflectivity and put in a large 'sun disc' which is a 100% ambient white disc just behind the light. I also broke out the reflectivity with and transparency with a seperate material with an edge gradient so the edges are more reflective (90%+) and almost opaque.

It makes her sparkle a bit more.

WaterElemental-0000.png

Unfortunatly render time is now at 12:20 per frame at 320x240....

Gotta save those pennies so I can use both cores asap with v14...

Its rendering a 2second animation which should be done around lunch tomorrow.

She looks good!

Does the displacement ripple across the surface too? :)

If I ever do anything at full rez it sure will. But I dont think its gonna be needed for the final sprites.

Oh and a handy note for those who don't have v14 yet but have a dual core (or quad) system

If you bind master.exe to the second core there's a chance you'll get a hefty performance increase in rendering since windows isnt dualcore supported yet. (XP that is) So by binding it to the core that isnt running the majority of the OS you get more cycles for AM.

I bound AM to the second core and my render times went from 12:20 a frame to 8:30 so almost a 33% increase.

33%...wow!

By 'bind' do you mean:

-Open Task Manager

-RT clik on A:M icon and select 'go to process'

-In 'Process', RT clik A:M and select 'set affinity'

-Select processor 2 only instead of all...

???

This has the opposite effect than that described on my machine. I set affinity to processor 1 only and it slows down about 33% compared to being set to both 0 and 1.

33%...wow!

By 'bind' do you mean:

-Open Task Manager

-RT clik on A:M icon and select 'go to process'

-In 'Process', RT clik A:M and select 'set affinity'

-Select processor 2 only instead of all...

???

yeah thats exactly what i did..

then I actually started a second copy of AM and set the affinity to the other core. and had them both rendering at the same time.

This has the opposite effect than that described on my machine. I set affinity to processor 1 only and it slows down about 33% compared to being set to both 0 and 1.

Hmm. That's strange.. Using v 13?

I am using 13s.

I just ran the test again, with different results. basically I get no difference no matter what the setting:

Processpor 0- 18 sec

Processor 1- 17 sec

Processor 0&1- 17 sec

My conclusion is that for me it makes no difference, though I can imagine if you ran many apps at once it might.

Drakheim was referring to speed increases in V14...Bendy is using V13...could be the problem.

The 'trick' of setting the processors to deal with multiple versions of A:M has been around for a long while. I never really got much of a payoff from it, and I'll typically have 3 A:M's running at once...sometimes 4. But IF there is a speed difference to be attained from this method in V14, I would like to know about it!