Hash, Inc. Forums

Metal Invasion

wow, its been a while since I've been on. anyway I'm working on a live action movie called Metal Invasion. what it basically is about is, robots invade California and some special ops soldiers are sent to take care of them. I'm currently working on the models.

this here is the Gauss Cannon

gaussguns2mr1.jpg

gaussguns1ct1.jpg

gaussgun0xf3.jpg

and this one is the Rail Gun

railgun1pp3.jpg

railgun2kr1.jpg

railgun0gd1.jpg

this is just a standard turret

autoturret1ar2.jpg

autoturret0ge2.jpg

and heres the one I'm currently working on. a cargo ship

pasengership0yp0.jpg

pasengershipback0mp6.jpg

comments, suggestion, ext are welcome

the settings i used for the renders are

9 passes

30% sampling

AI set to 100

and AO set to 80%

and all lights removed.

and can anyone lend me or show me ware to get some textures, i cant find any that work for those models

hmmm, never rely made that connection tell now. anyway here are some modal that i finished some time ago.

the scout probe, this will be the first robot to be seen in the movie.

probes0zo1.jpg

this is the H.E.M.T. (High Energy. Mobile. Turret.). this one is on the good guys side

hemtpf8.jpg

and this is the jet that will be flown by one of the soldiers

jets0yh5.jpg

more to come soon

When using dark colors, try making the ground a darker shade of grey so that there isn't so much contrast. Right now, the white ground makes it incredibly hard to see the details. Once you've set the grounds color to a darker shade, you can increase AO's Intensity to brighten up the object. This is in reference to your camo cannon.

yea i thought it looked a little dark too, i'll try that when i get home. but in the mean time, dose any one have any textures i can use for the guns and the ship? or if any one would like to volunteer that would be nice.

and can anyone lend me or show me ware to get some textures, i cant find any that work for those models

The Dark Tree textures are fantastic, just go to their site and download the folder. AM should already have come with the darksim symbiont material plugin, you just need the texture folder.

here is a zip of a zip of the darksim folder, hope it works!

DTRep_thumb.zip

the settings i used for the renders are

AI set to 100

and AO set to 80%

and all lights removed.

Textures! These things rock! and I believe they are free:

http://www.darksim.com/html/simbiont.html

Also...when you mentioned 'AI' above...is that referring to 'ambience' as in camera ambience...or something else?

What effects does multi pass have when rendering screenshots or scenes? Ive never tried to do a multi pass. will it make the shots look better and how much longer does multi pass take than with no multi pass? (right now some frames are taking 30 mins)

If it already takes 30 min. I wouldnt use multipass...

You are rendering with AA normally. That means, A:M tries to get rid of the stairs-effect at the corners of the models by "bluring" them a bit.

Multipass would render the scene several times and A:M will be able to make a better not aliaised edge.

Try it with a simple still, and you can see what will happen.

Multipass can be set to a quite high level, providing a very smooth edge-look (only in terms of the stair-effect) but a 9-passes multipass will take about 7 times longer than a AA for some models. (depending on the scene).

Multipass is very suitable for stills and if you set it to for example 16 Passes, the image will look better, but it just takes much more time.

*Fuchur*

ok i did some more work on the ship, a friend of mine showed me a website with some really good textures on it.

heres how far i am

cargoship0ai1.jpg

i added some more detail to the engines and i made them abit bigger too.

oh and heres another one i finished a while ago, i call it the streaker, its the fighter air craft for the robots.

streakertest0lh2.jpg

how ever i didn't notice the crease in the canopy window until now, can any one tell me how to get rid of it?

The cargo ship looks pretty good and it's far more than I could do right now, with the gun and the engines and the textures, etc.

But as a "viewer in the audience," something about it bothered me. It has a strong resemblance to a run-down, single-wide mobile home from the 1970s with stuff stuck on it. Is that intentional?

Put it this way: I've been inside buildings -- poor people's homes -- that look a lot like your model. I've also seen them being towed down the highway.

If that's not something you want, you might want to make adjustments.

example:

mobile home photo

But as a "viewer in the audience," something about it bothered me. It has a strong resemblance to a run-down, single-wide mobile home from the 1970s with stuff stuck on it. Is that intentional?

What a great idea! An old Winnebago clunker in the future. Why should the future not have junk? I'd add some graffiti on it, like it was parked in some undesirable neighborhood :D

• 2 weeks later...

ok i need help, I'm working on the robot soldier and i cant seem to make the rest of the body, ever time i try it doesn't end up being very good, and it ends up looking crappy. if any one would like to try to finish it PM me.

heres what i have done so far

robotwip0yh8.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, I regret to inform you all, that do to a lack of cooperation from the actors, I have had to cancel the movie. Man I can never seem to get a project done, can I? Well anyway, I graduate high school this year, so I might have a better chance doing it next summer. I have some test animations of my modals, ill post them as soon as I get my main computer back up and running.

Draw it out first... look in the kitchen in the cabnet under the sink... look in the garage at the shape of these objects that are around you everyday. They help me design my robots. Take the old VCR apart (the one that is trash) I used to get many ideas like that. Now, I think about what the robot's shape and function is according to the story and use that to shape it. Also this is the same for other characters too. It's hard to find something that hasn't already been done. Just keep thinking about taking it farther than anything you've ever seen.

anyway maybe a smaller project would be better...i gotta stop thinking so big too....

That's my feeling about all the grand plans I come up with, too. Virtually everything I try gets abandoned halfway through because I expect I can deliver more than I'm able. Still, look on the bright side - I'm 50% ready for next year's "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" comp...

"Stick to it" is a skill. For years I just putted around with A:M, learning little things here and there. Never "finishing" a project. It wasn't until last year that I got around to STICKING to something, and my bear was the result. I learned from finishing that, and it's helped working on TWO.

STICK to your ideas. And plan things out! Don't not dream because you don't finish! (Yes, a double negative. :P) Push for the better and the awesome. Then try and pull it into reality. :)

Again I say, "stick to it" is a skill. :P