Hash, Inc. Forums

I have this idea

Mr. C

There are many great ideas out there, executing those ideas is the crux.

The formulas that I have concluded, based on my personal observation, are as follows;

Great story + great animation = a classic.

Great story + bad animation = good.

Great animation + bad story = bad.

Bad story + bad animation = waste of time.

Cats in Black has a catchy name, and if excuted well, then it's great. You have the freedom to do what you want, so why don't you take the plunge and make a story board first then we can give you our input wheather this will be a good idea or not.

• Hash Fellow

It sounds like a live action movie (your cats) with an animated character (the alien) composited into it?

I'd suggest picking out ONE shot and doing it to completion first. What you learn along the way will help you greatly in planning your other shots.

I agree with Dhar's assessment, but I'd modify it like this...

Great story + great animation = box office failure, Exec who greenlit it is gone and new Exec too busy to promote it (Iron Giant)

Great story + bad animation = cult classic (Heavy Metal)

Great animation + bad story = Almost anything by the nine old men after Walt died.

Bad story + bad animation = Hoodwinked II, coming to a theater near you.

It sounds like a live action movie (your cats) with an animated character (the alien) composited into it?

I'd suggest picking out ONE shot and doing it to completion first. What you learn along the way will help you greatly in planning your other shots.

I agree with Dhar's assessment, but I'd modify it like this...

Great story + great animation = box office failure, Exec who greenlit it is gone and new Exec too busy to promote it (Iron Giant)

Great story + bad animation = cult classic (Heavy Metal)

Great animation + bad story = Almost anything by the nine old men after Walt died.

Bad story + bad animation = Hoodwinked II, coming to a theater near you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't do 3-5 minutes!

Start out very very small and short. Start out with something simple... about a minute... or even less!

This will give the opportunity to see how hard it is to achieve what you want and still have the chance to complete it. 3-5 minutes is an eternity... depending on your enthusiasm and energy of course. Do something very short but treat it the same as a longer project. Do storyboards, animatics etc... the whole thing. But by doing a shorter project you won't get as overwhelmed.

You pull that off then you have all the stuff you need for a longer project.

Just my opinion.

-vern

Good Comment Dhar - --

Thats exactly B) what my animation lecturer said to me 12 years or so ago when I did my degree

There are many great ideas out there, executing those ideas is the crux.

The formulas that I have concluded, based on my personal observation, are as follows;

Great story + great animation = a classic.

Great story + bad animation = good.

Great animation + bad story = bad.

Bad story + bad animation = waste of time.

Do what Vern says or not, there is no try