Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Ex 6 the door stuck help

I'm working on exe: 6 the doork stuck and I need a Nucklear Explotion mushroom cloud I foud the shiitake and been trying to do the for a couple of days and haven't figure it out yet here a clip I have

so far of the cloud Its no whear near what they done shiitake just wondering if any body could help

me tell me what I"m doing wrong from the clip.

Nuke_Um_test_1a.WMV

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went back and look at the project file and finaly seen what I done wrong I just made a model of a mushroom, made some of the material and added to the model and added 42 bones and started animating it came up with what yall seen in the video I for got to add the layers and few other thing

I'm going to have to redo the whole thing bummer bummer Oh well I'm learning from my mistake.

The next clip will be better.

I'm still stuck on shiitake project was wondering if anybody could help I having trouble trying to figure out how to put the control spline on the the 3d cloud it don't say in the project guide. Here a pic of what I'm talking about. Has anybody ever done this project. On mine I wan't the cloud to continue on the roll up instead a stopping.

shiitake_4.jpg

Hello was wondering if yall could help me as yall notice I'm having trouble with the shiitake project I wanted to put it into the exe 6 the door is stuck. In the project readme file its says change all the steam lights to rotoscope to the screm sequence. How do you do that ? I greatly appreciate any help.

I'm sure it feels like you're invisible in a crowded room :D but I haven't answered, because I know nothing, and I'm sure it's the same for others.

I'm working through the tutorial now, but it's fairly intense, so don't expect me to come up with anything soon. I'm up to creating the action in Part 1 - how far into it do you start having problems?

Wow - I never knew it would do that.

Did you get the cylinder moving with the control spline? I've gone half blind putting in 82 nulls, and a few constraints :) so I put the cylinder in to see what it would do, and it did just as the tutorial says.

Don't know anything about steam lights yet though.

If anyone's interested in the tutorial, it's here:

http://www.hash.com/users/weevil/index.html

I haven't got my control spline moving in a nice nuke-type way, but this is what I have after finishing part 1. Does your's look like this? You can use the arrow keys to go through it more slowly.

nuke.mov

If not, are you able to post the project (in a zip file), as you may have constraints targetting the wrong thing.

nah sure haven't thats where i'm stuck at Your's turned out a whole lot better then mine how did you get your control spline onto model like that. Are the green line on the model the control spline.

This is what I came with so far. atomic_bomb_4a.WMV

This looks like an interesting exercise -

Here's a link to a good view of the real thing that I've found that might assist.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7278951069225366106

The audio could be 'ripped' to add to your animation.

For the post explosion ripple effect, there's a plugin available that may be useful at:

http://www.moscafilms.com.br/emilioleroux/...avemachine.html

The free demo version is limited to models with up to 64 CP stacks. It may seem little, but you can do some cool animations with it.

But it's cheap to buy to buy anyway - take a look and see what you think.

post-10701-1176449703.gif

I just typed a huge message, clicked the wrong button. All gone. Shall try to recreate. Bother.

nah sure haven't thats where i'm stuck at Your's turned out a whole lot better then mine how did you get your control spline onto model like that. Are the green line on the model the control spline.

A summary of the steps for part 1:

1. Create a cylinder mesh model

2. Create 41 bones for the mesh and assign control points

3. Create a control spline model

4. Create an action with the control spline model and animate the spline to be the shape of the rising mushroom cloud over 1 second.

5. ON FRAME 0 create 41 new nulls in the action (right click) and name them 'path 01' to 'path 41'.

6. These nulls have a 'constrain to path' (the control spline is the path), and an ease percentage (path 01 = 0, path 02 = 2.5%, path 03 = 5%, path 04 = 7.5% etc). They will now look like a caterpillar along the spline - that's the green line

7. Create 41 new nulls in the action called 'rise 01' to 'rise 41'.

8. Each of these have 'translate to' the corresponding 'path' null constraints, and also 'translate limits' to stop any movement except up and down.

9. Drag in the cylinder mesh into the action.

10. For each bone add a 'translate to' constraint to the corresponding rise null. Also an 'aim at' constraint to the corresponding path null. Bone 1 is at the top of the cylinder and translates to rise 01, and aims at path 01 (with scale set to ON)

Your's looks pretty good, except the control spline needs to be animated a little better to have more shape. Do you want to post your project? It's very easy to constrain to the wrong null.

This tutorial is mindboggling - Ilya Anisimoff aka weevil must have incredible powers of concentration.

I'm trying to think of other applications of this method - I'm unlikely ever to want to do a nuclear explosion. Maybe a snake along a path. Or a waterfall. Or maybe rain. I shall have to continue with the animated displacement tomorrow to see if I can do water.

I'm back I was away vivsting and still was working on the project you explanded the project alot

better then he did shiitake project I'm starting to get the hang of it. Here are a couple of pic.

cloud_muscle_mode_key_frame.jpg atomic_blast_42_cylinder_bone.jpg

I saw your video of the musroom cloud very awsome. I,ll post some more pics. I saw the movie

The Hill Have Eyes and it gave me an ideal with exe 6 the door stuck. Thanks for the links AJS007

was up all night checking out the video. After seeing them thank god they haven't had to use um.

The one on the right looks good - 41 bones all present and correct - make sure that none of them are parented - ie when you created them, click away from the bone before adding the next one - they should all be at the same level in the hierarchy.

My pic 1 is different from your's - I'm not sure which one is right, possibly yours:

post-9673-1176778457_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting view - wireframe in the action window - shows the control spline with the cps:

nukewired.mov

So you've got up to step 5? Those nulls were created in the action, right?

In the action window, they are action objects. I was really lazy and did not rename mine, so my first 41 nulls are called Null 1 to Null 41. In the action I renamed them path Null1 Action Object.

Step 6 is where these nulls have to be constrained to a path, so for each null, you right click it (in the action) > new constraint > path > click the control spline. If the click 'doesn't take', then you have to choose the target dropdown in the properties for the constraint.

When you have done that, then in the properties for the constraint for each null, there is an Ease property. In the picture below you can see that my 'path Null2 Action Object' has a 'constraint to path', and the Ease is set to 2.5%.

the path null1 action object is 0%, the path null3 is 5%, path null4 7.5%, etc, for a long time.

post-9673-1176783991_thumb.jpg

NOTES: make sure you're on frame 0 of the action when you do this.

When you've finished doing them all, the nulls will place themselves all along the control spline, and look like a caterpillar.

post-9673-1176784096_thumb.jpg

After looking at your top view wire frame you could use this as making water.

I was looking at that - lovely ripples.

By the way, Ease is the amount the object goes along a path.

So for example if you place an object onto a path, the ease starts at 0% (the start of the path), and after a stated time, finishes at 100% (the end of the path). You can animate them differently, like if you've got Thom along a path, you can say at 10frames he's 50% along the path, then 20frames still 50%, then 30frames 100%. He'll then stay still (ish) for those frames between 10 and 20.

Here, it's just a way of evenly spreading out the nulls along the control spline, so that your 41 bones will eventually be constrained to them, so that the bones will move evenly with the nulls.

I thought I had it figured out...LOL This is been one tuff project. I got the nulls or path with the ease figured out but when I put the formula in they appeared like in the pic also when I rendered the cloud rised up but was turning a little bit like a tornado.

Path.jpg

Does it look better like that?

I think the turning is because of the way you've animated the control spline. If you're going to change that, you'll have to make sure that any control points that you move are on the control spline, and not the cylinder.

If you look from the top view, mine are all on the same Z (?) axis, whereas yours appear to be moving around on that axis. Mine are only moving on the X (left to right in front view) and Y (up and down in front view) axes.

topnuke.mov

• 2 weeks later...

I'v been away for a week but still working on the project how did you get the Path or nulls to stay on the Y axes. The second time I done it It comes up like in the photo. There still scattered the frames are on zero The cloud is up when I put the nulls on hmmmm wonder if that could be it. Here A Pic of it.

Path_1.jpg

I remember I had problems when I didn't add all the nulls on frame 0. One of the percentages (ease???) was off. I started again at that point.

You also need to make sure that from the top view your control spline stays in a continuous straight line. It'll move on the other 2 axes, but be perfectly straight from the top. That's to do with the initial animation of the control spline, not adding the nulls - they'll automatically constrain in a straight line if the spline is in a straight line.

I have to admire your sticking power. :) I've given up temporarily at the animated displacement phase.

You can post your project if you get stuck, if you want.

I think I finaly got it.....LOL I done the animation first and then went to the zero frame and add the nulls on the top view and made sure control spline was straight and they feel into place instead of all over the place like last time...LOL but when I done the animation they didn't go up the control spline so I started over but this time I went to right view and place them like in the Pic and they straight and also they followed the animation of the cloud. Do you do the Rise the same way as the Path.

Path_2.jpg

I was thinking that your spline looks different from mine, but you've still got another 36 path nulls to go, so that looks right.

The main thing that bothers me is that when I put my path nulls on, I didn't have the cylinder in there. I added the cylinder for the rise nulls, and the shape did not appear until all rise nulls were constrained.

Your mushroom cloud is there fully shaped.

This is my spline after adding the nulls (I think and hope - I have different revisions, so I hope this is correct):

post-9673-1177715138_thumb.jpg

He (the shiitake man), in his instructions, said that he found that the animated map was better than volumetrics. I can't comment on that, as I haven't got to the map bit. I would have thought dust and forces would be the way to go though.

But if you want to give it a go, have a look at Exercise 15 for the dust, and Exercise 16 for the fire, in TaoA:M.

If you are trying dust, be sure to render it in the choreograph to see what it really looks like, as it does have a slightly different effect when rendered in an Action.

Think I've decided to use the dust and fire in something elese. I got all the Path done and when I make Rise do you use the same percentage as you use for the path so they will correspond with each other.

Guess that where I'm having trouble is the percentage on the Rise.

The Rise nulls use totally different constraints to the Path nulls.

The Path uses Constrain to a Path, which means that you can specify whereabouts on the path the constraint should be (ie. Ease percentage, 0% at the beginning of the path, 100% at the end of the path).

The Rise nulls use the Translate To constraint, which constrains each Rise Null to the corresponding path null. So there is no Ease percentage at all in that constraint. (There is an Enforcement, but that should be left at 100%).

There is also a Translate Limits constraint, which makes sure that the Rise Nulls only translate together with the Path nulls along the Y axis (up and down), so Minimum & Maximum X and Z axes are 0, and Y is set to -1000 to +1000.

[Wasn't there a song called "Percentage on the Rise"? Or something like that. Oh no come to think of it, it was Bad Moon, similar though. :D ]

Ok what does this mean when theis happens I went to load up the atomic blast project today and for some reason its not loading up the project I evern tryed system restore no luck. Bummmer hope I don't have to start over.

was wondering how do you make one action fallow behind another action in choreograph I made a walk action with shaggy looking up behind that I'm using the run action from the cd but I made a path line for the run action when I click on the path constrain It jumps in fromt of the walk action does the walk action also need a path.

I'm definitely not an expert on this - I think I'll try it over the weekend.

However, I can point you at a few links.

Firstly - the video: Path Ease - Walk then Wave

The picture from Robert Holmen that I've sticky-taped to my wall:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=a...st&id=14198

And other threads asking the same question:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27825

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26882

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26616

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26076

Hope this helps!

Don't you just hate it when you get a project all most done and you accendently hit the wrong button or do something whorng and you have to start all over. Was just about done with one oh well may be tomarrow.

I do that all the time. However, I've got a little bit better at versioning. When I'm happy with the way one part looks, then I save a mov file under 'proj_name_a', and save the proj as 'proj_name_a'. Then I save the proj as 'proj_name_b' and work until I have another part good. So then I'm only losing one bit at a time. I also do Project Menu > Embed All, just in case my models are not in the project itself. If they are not embedded, then every time you save, you are overwriting the same model all the time.

Looking forward to seeing a result. :D

I was rendering from camera view and you can see shaggy standing in a solid color and out a little ways is the desert color how can I make where shaggy is standing desert color here a pic of what I'm talking about. Not to much more to go.

Shaggy_walking.jpg

• Admin
I was rendering from camera view and you can see shaggy standing in a solid color and out a little ways is the desert color how can I make where shaggy is standing desert color here a pic of what I'm talking about. Not to much more to go.

I'm going to assume you've added your own ground/desert here.

If that is the case then delete (or inactivate) the default ground model.

Did you notice the thin line running across the middle of the picture - going through the top of Shaggy's head?

It looks as if the solid brown object is intersecting the sandy object. Maybe a shaded wireframe screen capture?

More clues needed, please.

Your timeline screen capture looks as if you've animated the camera to be a different colour on frame 29. Remember to go to frame zero, when changing camera details. (There is an Animate Mode button at the top right, but I've never dared press it in case I forget to switch it back on)

I do this with cameras and paths all the time - animate them on frame 26 and then wonder why everything's jiggling.

I redone the choreography and deleted the ground and added the mountain one I put the camera right above the ground part and had it up a few way and when I rendered it no solid colors.

camera_view_looking_down.jpg

But when I zoomed in you can see the solied color starting to show up this is weired....LOL

camera_view_looking_down_zoomed_in.jpg

Here the wire model of it nothing underneath it.

underneath_hill_and_door.jpg

I think this may have helped it I was looking back through the links caroline sent and doing a search on

camera. Looking back at the project workspace again and notice the roughness and roughness scale the first time it Roughness was set at 40% and Roughness scale was set at 5%

PWS_1.jpg

when I rendered it same thing happen

Shaggy_and_Hill.jpg

this time I set the Roughness and Roughness Scale at 40 %

PWS_2.jpg

and it quit doing it hopefully that was it...LOL

Shaggy_and_Hill_1.jpg

Are they any good video editing software.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I bought an older version of Adobe Premiere on e-bay and never been the wiser.

+1 with Dhar, Premiere is pretty hard to beat.

That said there are some much less robust programs out there maybe even open source. All depends on what you need.

Jim