Hash, Inc. Forums

Texturing Common Assault Marine By Dark_Jedi

Hey everybody, I know I have another topic that's still out so don't get too mad :D

Well, I'm trying to wrap up everything that I've been involved in (hence the Star Wars models frenzy) and one of the many things on the list was texturing this fantastic model. Hang on Martin, 2_08 lighting is next ;)

For me, the goal of this project was to have a set of textures that matched the great quality of the model. This meant grabbing tons of photos and layering and layering in PS. It also meant tons of unwrapping in AM--of which a little has been done. I'm going to try to push my skills as far as they go for this one and prove to the world that AM is capable of anything...and have a little fun on the way :D

Here's the first WIP of the front armor piece, tell me what you think!

texturewipone.JPG

Thanks,

Lee

Looks pretty good as is, but I would texture the buckle(?) on the right breastplate separately. As it stands now, the texture on the buckle looks like it should be scaled down. My dime's worth.

Thanks Eric! I agree, and so did the fellow who's model this is. I'll be retexturing that soon, and seperately--it's not in this update. Btw, I would have easily paid a quarter for that ;)

I dunno it looks good to me. Id like to see what it looks like on the trouble maker whos gonna wear it.

Glad you asked! He's right here . Thanks for your comment!

Here's an update, I'm having trouble deciding whether all of the armor should be the same color or mixed.

armorwip4.JPG

At a 30,000 patch count, it's tough to accomplish much in a short amount of time.

Lee

How about a few black powder burns for very close calls? A few shrapnel chips out of the armor here and there? Otherwise not bad t'all. Is this an existing Star Wars armour design or one you came up with? And for god's sake, dirty up those boots a bit. Haha

Otherwise not bad t'all. Is this an existing Star Wars armour design or one you came up with?

Thanks Eric! Despite my last thread, this guy has nothing to do with Star Wars (even if he may look like it a lot). The design (and model) are original works by Kevin (Dark_Jedi).

And for god's sake, dirty up those boots a bit. Haha

lol. Sir yes sir! Hey, shouldn't the guy giving commands be telling me that I should clean up my boots?

Here's the midsection textured--hopefully the whole rest of the body suit will turn out this good. Also, I added some "close calls" thanks to Eric's suggestions.

armorwipfront.JPG

armorwipback.JPG

Any comments would be outstandingly amazingful

Lee

It seems that the maps you are using are low res? It might just be me, but the boots look sort of pixely.

Looks very good in general though.

Ben

Thanks for your comment Ben! The boot texture resolution is 1000 x 1000

Here's a side view if that helps

boots.JPG

Lee

Well I like it Lee! :D Only thing that seems weird is i think the thingies in the eyes (keep forgetting what their called) seem way to big :P

Iris.JPG

Thanks Kevin, I was thinking he had some bad puppy dog look about him, but I couldn't figure it out :)

Nice work Jimmy. When you going to have some animation?

Thanks Ken! This is really Kevin's project than it is mine...but I believe that animation is planned some day, at least it better be ;)

Also, are you using decals or materials?

Some of each, but mostly decals. Everything except for the leather and the amunition on his shoulder and back belt are decals.

Thanks guys!

Lee

Hey again!

This will hopefully be the last update--here are three glamour shots that I rendered last night night. I'd say it turned out pretty darn good. Oh, the goggles were a personal touch of mine, they probably won't be in whatever Kevin does with this.

glamourshot.JPG

Lee

Thanks a lot Mark!

but whats up with the bug eyes?

Oh, the goggles were a personal touch of mine, they probably won't be in whatever Kevin does with this.

Oh also.. why is it white on his ear thingys and all arround the rim of his suit that ends at the face?

Putting the cloth pattern there was way too boring. Plus it just didn't look like it fit. You can change it when I send if back if you'd like. Thanks Kevin!

Lee

Wow, Lee! That's a fantastic job! The model was cool-looking to begin with, but now it's just amazing!

Dark Jedi, I'd totally go with the metal around the face. Makes it look like there's a face shield that goes with the armor that he's choosing not to wear. With all of the armor he's got on, it would make sense that there would have been something to protect the face and this guy is just too badass to wear it.

Again... Wow!

Wow, Lee! That's a fantastic job! The model was cool-looking to begin with, but now it's just amazing!

Dark Jedi, I'd totally go with the metal around the face. Makes it look like there's a face shield that goes with the armor that he's choosing not to wear. With all of the armor he's got on, it would make sense that there would have been something to protect the face and this guy is just too badass to wear it.

Thanks Mark! Also, thanks for helping me talk Kevin into the stuff around the face ;) I really like the idea of just a face shield--like something that clips into mask. We were thinking of a helmet....oh yeah, way too bad to wear it!

Dark Jedi, Lee, this is truly amazing effect of your efforts... This is exemplary work!

...(poster at siggraph... poster at siggraph)...

did someone said something?!? I thought I heard some voice ;0)

Thanks Trajce! I certainly would be up for it...I mean, up for whatever that disembodied voice just said :D

Kevin really needs to come in here and take some bows

Here's the final beauty shot, yup no goggles :) :

beautyshot.jpg

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Caleb, Geoff and Candice! I was a little surprised to see this thread come back! Hey, didn't Matt post something in page 2 with a picture? Weird...

HolyDamnasterification! I had to invent a whole new word for this one. Great Job Lee!

A new word? For liddo-ol-me?! Shewt...thanks Colin! Do I have your permission to use that word?

Hopefully Kevin will model a helmet for this guy someday and we can come up with a nice illustration for him....

Lee

Yeah, a nice illustration (lost worlds) would be great (lost worlds). I could see him landing on some unknown planet (lost worlds) or even in the amazon (lost worlds) or Peru (lost worlds). This guy could be stumbling across some ancient (lost worlds) civilization(lost worlds) or even a battle(lost worlds).

You might even use him in a contest or something ;-) That could be cool to.

Hmm...Colin are you trying to tell me something?

Hey....you know....I think that could work.... EXCEPT

3. The entry must be created by a single artist, and only one entry per artist is allowed per contest (NOT multi-entries).

DISQUALIFIED...dang

However, here is the original Illustration that I lit for Kevin with the new textures and some postwork in PS:

trooperfinal.jpg

Lee

if you check a previous thread started by Woloshyniuk... he says him and i are working on a film.. and this guy just happens to be in it..! however.. i may not be able to use lees awsome texture job seeing as weve already started rendering

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark, if you liked the goggles, you'll love this!

Ken, diddo--good bye Zombie eyes!

Kevin just sent me this awesome helmet and so I textured it and rerendered it...also I added some new post stuff, I like this better.

lastoneihope.jpg

Lee

Thanks Mark, if you liked the goggles, you'll love this!

Ken, diddo--good bye Zombie eyes!

Kevin just sent me this awesome helmet and so I textured it and rerendered it...also I added some new post stuff, I like this better.

post-3251-1178324223_thumb.jpg

Lee

Aww you didnt render the other pic with three dif pics of him?

P.S. why no transparent visor?

Aww you didnt render the other pic with three dif pics of him?

Please Kevin, stop gushing about it, you're embarrassing me [sarcasm]. Nope, I didn't render the three-angle version, maybe that will happen later.

P.S. why no transparent visor?

I think it's really funny that you say this because as soon as I turned the transparency down (down, not off), I thought: "That's the first thing Kevin will say about this". Well, at least it wasn't the first thing ;) . Oh, and to answer the question: because I liked it better that way.

Lee

Maybe you can have them press a button on the helmet or on some kind of forearm control that makes the visor change from transparent to opaque. That or have it switch to their operating system where they've got a game of free cell playing. But yeah, you'll want to show the face at one point in time. It will allow viewers to have an emotional connection to these assault marines. It will let them remember that these are people and not just mindless killing machines. Though it should probably a couple of scenes before you reveal their faces. Looks really good.