Hash, Inc. Forums

Posable squetch rig

mtpeak2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, did you try installing before the install rig plug-in? It took hours just to reparent and delete the install bones.

Thanks Mark. Have you seen the update to the face controls, I came up with a way to customize the face interface (after installing), David liked it and added it to the rig.

One other thing, The face interface needs to be setup after you run the install plug-in. I could add sliders to to position it when installing the rig, but I like having it out of the way when assigning cps. Maybe I could add it to the customizing the interface.

I did try before the install rig plug-in but like you said took hours and the end result was (to say the least) less then perfect. I don't even remember if it was useable. Then I tried it again with the install plug-in and was successful but still took me a long time.

Third time was a quick and easy and I felt confident I was installing correctly.

It's nice to see something like this happen. David Simmons, you, Hash (and others) have put an unbelievable amount of work into this rig and it will be nice to see it finally getting installed in a lot more characters now.

NEW UPDATE with "FACE off" pose set to "not set"

That's it. Now it works like a charm. The new FACE interface additions are great, Mark.

It's nice to see something like this happen. David Simmons, you, Hash (and others) have put an unbelievable amount of work into this rig and it will be nice to see it finally getting installed in a lot more characters now.

Absolutely. This is an incredibly functional and fun rig to use (and now fun to install too).

I put in a feature request to have the install rig plug-in delete installation pose and relationships marked with a symbol in the names of the poses.

Also noticed the install rig plug-in doesn't hide bones correctly in v14 beta, also sent that to A:M reports.

First off, great job guys! This is fantastic.

I hadn't touuched the Squeth Rig before yesterday. The posable version took my about an hour to install. It was easy and straightforward. Unhiding the finger install bones was the only thing I had to troubleshoot. I figured it out pretty quickly. Duh.

The nostril targets were a little strange. I had to go look at the tutorial to figure out where they would go. I am still not sure what they are for.

The jaw dosn't seem to have a "geom" bone. The "jowels" handle the side but what do you do with the chin? Do you assign the chin CPs to the 'jaw' control bone or to the lower teeth bone?

When I got around to assigning CPs I had to guess quite a bit on the face. Is there a key somewhere that explains what the different bones are supposed to move?

Thanks again. I actually enjoyed the install process. It was a lot of fun.

Phil

There is a jaw bone, but it's hidden. We should probably rename it with geom in the name so it unhides after running the install plug-in.

The nostril targets should be placed near the corners of the mouth. The nostril geom, jowl geom and cheek geom bones aim at this null target.

I also found a problem with one of the constraints and will have an update soon.

NEW UPDATE

Fixed constraint problem (broken constraint in face poses, minor) and renamed bones with geom (jaw, eyes, lids, maxilla and lower teeth), these bones will unhide after running install rig plug-in.

Removed

The jaw dosn't seem to have a "geom" bone. The "jowels" handle the side but what do you do with the chin? Do you assign the chin CPs to the 'jaw' control bone or to the lower teeth bone?

When I got around to assigning CPs I had to guess quite a bit on the face. Is there a key somewhere that explains what the different bones are supposed to move?

The "LowerTeeth" bone was used by Mark Strohbehn when using muscle poses for the face to tie the lower teeth to...when using the bones installation, I very rarely tie any geometry to it. The lips are weighted to the "lip_geom" and "lip_roll_geom" bones with those bones eventually orienting like the "LowerTeeth" bone (so you can use the "LowerTeeth" bone to move the whole lower lip). The "Maxilla" bone is the same thing as the "LowerTeeth" bone, but for the upper lip. The only examples at the moment are the Tinman and TinGirl for TWO, but I'm working on the next "Squetchy Thom"...he has a face.

The weighting on the lower lip merges into the "Jaw" and "jowl" bone weighting. The "jowls" widen with the width of the mouth and are children of the "Jaw", so they will move with the opening of the mouth. The "nostril_geom" bones widen with the mouth, which causes the nostrils to flare and the area between the nose and the cheek to angle upward.

The A Face Rigging Method tutorial will give you an idea what everything does if you don't have access to Tinman or TinGirl...but there have been quite a few updates since that time, so don't expect it to be exactly the same (it's far from the same).

Hope that helps.

NEW UPDATE

Import your model into the "v13s_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_Posable_Installation_03_05_2007" or import "v13s_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_Posable_Installation_03_05_2007" into your model. (it doesn't matter anymore)

Create new action and follow the steps in the pose slider window. MAKE SURE YOU USE ONLY THE INSTALLATION POSES.

After posing the rig to your model, export the model from the action window and "save as".

Start a new project and open the new model. Go to the user properties and delete the installation pose folder using the delete key on your keyboard. Open the relationship folder>user properties and select the installation pose folder and delete using the delete key on keyboard. Save model. (hoping to make this part, part of the install rig plug-in) See attached image.

Run install rig plug-in. (there is a copy of the plug-in in the zip folder, place it in the v13 htx folder) You are now ready to assign cps.

V13s_Posable_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007.zip

delete.jpg

resetting_all_compensates_03_05_2007.txt

I have a question regarding assigning CPs to the geometry rig:

I am rigging a simple model to start with, (after my last attempt I thought I would keep everything as simple as possible), and therefore has very low geometry for the forearms.

Could David or Mark please clarify what the right/left_forearm_base_non__Z_geom bones are for?

As the forearms on my model are so simple which of the following would be the best arrangement:

1) Assign spline ring A to right_forearm_0_geom and spline ring B to right_forearm_3_geom.

2) Assign spline ring A to right_forearm_0_geom and spline ring B to right_forearm_2_geom, (To spread the twist more evenly along the forearm).

3) Assign spline rings A and B to right_forearm_non_Z_geom

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also could you tell me if it is possible to adjust geometry bones on just one side of the rig or are there hidden roller bones, etc., that would be affected by moving the finger bones, for instance? I have found that my model is not quite symmetrical. It's only a little out but enough to affect the finger joints as you can see in the attached image for the left hand:

Any advice appreciated. Thanks :)

-----------------------------------------

Edit:

I appear to have done something wrong.

I just started to go through the compensating steps and I am seeing "Error Loading String:####" in the PWS\Relationships where some of the constraints should be.

Could you please explain what is meant by "Reset Compensates"? I was hoping it would become clear when I got to this point but I am lost. I do know how to use compensate when creating constraints but I haven't got a clue how you recompensate and I haven't found any links to a description yet. Does it mean to reapply the constraint with compensate mode on?

Could David or Mark please clarify what the right/left_forearm_base_non__Z_geom bones are for?

The "right/left_forearm_base_non_Z_geom" bones don't rotate on their 'Z' axis. The forearms have those and four other bones that rotate at different percentages on their 'Z' axis based on the rotation of the hand. They progressively roll more like the hand as their names suggest..."right_forearm_base_non_Z_geom" (0%), "right_forearm_0_geom" (25%), "right_forearm_1_geom" (40%), "right_forearm_2_geom" (75%) and "right_forearm_3_geom" (80%).

Also could you tell me if it is possible to adjust geometry bones on just one side of the rig or are there hidden roller bones, etc., that would be affected by moving the finger bones, for instance? I have found that my model is not quite symmetrical. It's only a little out but enough to affect the finger joints as you can see in the attached image for the left hand.

There are three ways you could adjust them. The first way (and probably easiest) is to use the method that is used in the original installation tutorial to position the side that needs it (it would be a little different than the tutorial since the bones in the Posable rig are parented differently...they are more independent without the installation poses). After you have exported your model and deleted the installation poses, you can use rotate, scale and translate modes to fix the installation bones that need it. Then, you can run the InstallRig plugin and you should be fine.

The second way, would be to unhide every bone and then move all of the bones to the positions you need.

The third way would be to delete all of the hand bones, drag the hand bones from the non-Posable installation in, position them in the way it's done in the original tutorial and then run the InstallRig plugin.

I appear to have done something wrong.

I just started to go through the compensating steps and I am seeing "Error Loading String:####" in the PWS\Relationships where some of the constraints should be.

Could it be because you haven't deleted the installation poses? I haven't seen that happen, so I'm guessing.

Could you please explain what is meant by "Reset Compensates"? I was hoping it would become clear when I got to this point but I am lost. I do know how to use compensate when creating constraints but I haven't got a clue how you recompensate and I haven't found any links to a description yet. Does it mean to reapply the constraint with compensate mode on?

It means to change the enforcement to 0% on a constraint, hit the compensate button and then re-apply the percentage that was originally there. I show the process in the original installation tutorial. The bones that require compensating have changed since that tutorial, but there is a sheet that should be with the Posable installation that lists the new ones (except the face, which hasn't changed since the tutorial...I should be adding them to the sheet when I get time).

Hope that helps, Paul.

Right_forearm_non_Z_geom would be used, for instance, tinmans forearm, where you wouldn't want it to rotate on the Z axis, or say, a jacket sleeve. I would recommend adding a spline ring to the forearm between ring A and B and weight 50/50 to the right_forearm_1_geom and the right_forearm_2_geom. And yes, assign ring A to right_forearm_0_geom and ring B to right_forearm_3_geom. Not adding the spline ring in the forearm will colapse the forearm when rotating the hand on the Z axis. As for the hands, I would just group the finger geometry and translate it on the X axis to where it needs to be.

The "right/left_forearm_base_non_Z_geom" bones don't rotate on their 'Z' axis.

Ah! Very good! A choice of "non_Z" for forearms that don't twist like the hand and the four little bones are for more realistic twisting forearms. Got it.

The second way, would be to unhide every bone and then move all of the bones to the positions you need.

That sounds like my way. ;) At least I can see if I have left anything behind in the move. Is

Could it be because you haven't deleted the installation poses? I haven't seen that happen, so I'm guessing.

No. I don't know what I did but I have done the installation again and it seems to have worked out better this time. I still have to do the recompensating and weighting but I have just been testing the rig in an action and, apart from a few things that might be related to the recompensating, it appears to have installed correctly.

I notice that the shoulder fans are not doing what I thought they would do so I am not using them at the moment.

It means to change the enforcement to 0% on a constraint, hit the compensate button and then re-apply the percentage that was originally there. I show the process in the original installation tutorial.

Thanks for the explanation, David! Very reassuring.

And yes, assign ring A to right_forearm_0_geom and ring B to right_forearm_3_geom. Not adding the spline ring in the forearm will colapse the forearm when rotating the hand on the Z axis.

More good stuff. Thanks, Mark!

In Mark Stohbehn's Instructions for re-compensating constraints the last item in Part 2, "head_and_neck_orient_like_chest" is missing from my torso/neck/head_constraints relationship.

Is this something that went wrong with my installation, something that has changed in the rig or am I just not seeing it?

In Mark Stohbehn's Instructions for re-compensating constraints the last item in Part 2, "head_and_neck_orient_like_chest" is missing from my torso/neck/head_constraints relationship.

Is this something that went wrong with my installation, something that has changed in the rig or am I just not seeing it?

There's nothing wrong with your installation, Paul...there's another pose under the "Animation_Controls/HEAD/NECK" that is named "head_and_neck_orient_like_chest", that's the one I meant. I'll make it more clear in the next update to the instructions. Sorry about that.

Oops! Sorry, David! I thought that Mark had made that list for some reason.

I'm having trouble locating some of these constraints and I'm concerned that I may start introducing errors so I'm going to leave it alone now.

Thanks. :)

Not a problem, Paul. If you're not sure about a pose, you can just delete the Relationship in the folder, drag that same Relationship into your model from the installation rig and reset them again. You can compare the constraints with the installation rig to see if you're missing something.

If there's a constraint you can't locate, let me know...it might be that I was unclear in the instructions and I can make sure that it gets corrected.

delete the installation pose sliders and the installation relationships folder, save model.

Open the " v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model and import the saved model, with bones that have the installation poses and folders deleted.

Then run the install plug-in.

I'm trying to use squetch rig in Pzu

Im using v14 beta 2

what i did ...

1) opened model ( Pzu )

2) imported "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_Posable_Installation_03_05_2007" model

3) followed all action' step

4) exported model as Pzu_pre_squetch

5) started new project

6) imported Pzu_pre_squetch.mdl

delete the installation pose sliders and the installation relationships folder, save model.

7) i found and deleted installation relationships folder but where's installation pose sliders ????

Open the " v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model

8) where can I find " v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model ????

this is my first attempt using squetch rig then I ask you patience and excuse for the cretin questions. many others will come

Open the " v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model and import the saved model, with bones that have the installation poses and folders deleted.

Then run the install plug-in.

I'm trying to use squetch rig in Pzu

Im using v14 beta 2

what i did ...

1) opened model ( Pzu )

2) imported "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_Posable_Installation_03_05_2007" model

3) followed all action' step

4) exported model as Pzu_pre_squetch

5) started new project

6) imported Pzu_pre_squetch.mdl

7) i found and deleted installation relationships folder but where's installation pose sliders ????

Open the " v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model

8) where can I find " v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model ????

this is my first attempt using squetch rig then I ask you patience and excuse for the cretin questions. many others will come

Ooops...there is no "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007" posted, I had uploading problems at the time. The v12 is identical and can be used as the v13. However, if you have the latest Posable installation, you shouldn't need to import any of the poses from another model...if you have poses other than the installation poses, you should be fine after deleting the installation poses, Marcos. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I think that is the case. The Squetch Rig is not far from a big update, so I probably won't post the v13's that are missing, since the v12 is identical and they are soon to be replaced anyway.

If the installation sliders are still there, they would be in the model's "User Properties"...you would see them in their own tab in the Pose sliders window as well. If they aren't there, then they were deleted when you deleted the Relationship folders.

Hope that helps, Marcos.

Hey Marcos.

If you used the v13s version, the "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" is no longer needed. I combined them into one model, v13s allowed me to do this.

Hopefully, at some point, deleting poses and relationships will be a part of the install rig plug-in.

delete.jpg

Well it's a little early to release, but had a request to post it. The issues I had with this method will be in the next release of v13 (monday). V14 alpha 6 has the fix for the roll issue on export and importing model with materials, but a new issue has cropped up, images for decals do not import (decal and stamp are intact). This can be worked around by opening the model first bringing in the images into the project, then import the model into the installation rig.

You will need the install rig plug-in, there is a copy in the zip folder I posted. Just drag and drop it in the hxt folder of the version of AM you are using (v13 or v14)

This version contains the bone face rig......... A five finger foot gizmo version coming soon, four fingers if need and a quad version if it's worth the effort.

So to use the rig, open the "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_Posable_Installation_03_05_2007" model. Import your model, SAVE AS "your models name_install" so you don't override the rig or your model. Open an action and follow the steps using the pose sliders. Once finished positioning the bones you can save the action, if you need to make changes (this will mean reassigning and recompensating).

Once you finished positioning, right click in the action window and export model (SAVE AS "model name_export"). Start a new project and open the model. You have to delete the installation poses from the user properties and the installation relationships from the relationship folder. SAVE model. (if you have trouble doing this, just let me know)

Open the "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model and import your saved model. Run the install rig plug-in and your ready to assign cps. Follow David Simmons' video tuts for recompensating the rig. I will at some point write up a check list for the order in which compensating needs to be done.

NOTE: you can use this in the current version of v13, if you have no materials or import your model as an action object. Just save the project or action and export when v13s comes out.

Removed attachment- updated rig on page 4

oops see next reply

Well it's a little early to release, but had a request to post it. The issues I had with this method will be in the next release of v13 (monday). V14 alpha 6 has the fix for the roll issue on export and importing model with materials, but a new issue has cropped up, images for decals do not import (decal and stamp are intact). This can be worked around by opening the model first bringing in the images into the project, then import the model into the installation rig.

You will need the install rig plug-in, there is a copy in the zip folder I posted. Just drag and drop it in the hxt folder of the version of AM you are using (v13 or v14)

This version contains the bone face rig......... A five finger foot gizmo version coming soon, four fingers if need and a quad version if it's worth the effort.

So to use the rig, open the "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_Posable_Installation_03_05_2007" model. Import your model, SAVE AS "your models name_install" so you don't override the rig or your model. Open an action and follow the steps using the pose sliders. Once finished positioning the bones you can save the action, if you need to make changes (this will mean reassigning and recompensating).

Once you finished positioning, right click in the action window and export model (SAVE AS "model name_export"). Start a new project and open the model. You have to delete the installation poses from the user properties and the installation relationships from the relationship folder. SAVE model. (if you have trouble doing this, just let me know)

Open the "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_03_05_2007_relationships_installation" model and import your saved model. Run the install rig plug-in and your ready to assign cps. Follow David Simmons' video tuts for recompensating the rig. I will at some point write up a check list for the order in which compensating needs to be done.

NOTE: you can use this in the current version of v13, if you have no materials or import your model as an action object. Just save the project or action and export when v13s comes out.

Removed attachment- updated rig on page 4

Ok, I've tried installing the rig in an actio pose in versions 13s Yeti and Oz. I can't save the model! AM quits responding.

What is everyone else doing that I am not doing?

Right click in a blank space of the action window and select export>model. (see attached image) Is this what you are doing?

If you are still having problems, you can send me the file and I'll take a look. I'll PM my e-mail address to you.

export.jpg

Okay, I must be daft or a complete techno-loser... I am a relatively new A:M user and have not rigged in it before. I have a character I want to rig and I'm trying to use your rig plug-in. I haven't even made it past the 4th step. When I create a new action after "Saving As", I see the pose sliders but I don't see any steps to follow as it says in the instructions. Moving the sliders has no visible effect on the bone positions or lengths so I can not position the rig within my character. I am obviously missing something. I am using v13s. Sorry to be such a dork. Can you help? Thanks

Okay, I must be daft or a complete techno-loser... I am a relatively new A:M user and have not rigged in it before. I have a character I want to rig and I'm trying to use your rig plug-in. I haven't even made it past the 4th step. When I create a new action after "Saving As", I see the pose sliders but I don't see any steps to follow as it says in the instructions. Moving the sliders has no visible effect on the bone positions or lengths so I can not position the rig within my character. I am obviously missing something. I am using v13s. Sorry to be such a dork. Can you help? Thanks

I'm not completely understanding how you got to the problem you're having...you are saving out the in-progress rigging to a new Action and the new Action doesn't work? I have never had a problem like that. Are you inside the new Action when you are attempting this?

Yes, I follow these instructions:

1. open the "v13_Five_Finger_Squetch_Rig_Posable_Installation_03_05_2007" model.

2. Import your model,

3. SAVE AS "your models name_install" so you don't override the rig or your model.

4. Open an action and follow the steps using the pose sliders.

But when I get to #4 and open a new action from my "your models name_install" , I get all the sliders but no "steps" to follow and the sliders do nothing in the actions window.

You have to make the PWS bigger to see the installation pose folder in the pose slider window. You should have 4 tabs at the top of the pose slider window, it's the last one (installation poses). There should be a list of 7 steps, once you're in the right place.

It looks like the "Rig Along With Me" will be starting tomorrow. It will have a new update to the posable rig, hopefully. So be ready. ;)

Is this available to what I would like to hereby dub COUGH, "Community Of Users General/Hash".

By that I mean can we all use this new rig? Where the heck is it? and all that.

Mike

Yes, this is free to the community to use. You must have v13s or v14beta2 to use the posable version of the squetch installation rig. There is a version of the posable rig on page 5 of this thread. Tomorrow, hopefully, there will be an update to the rig in the "rig along with me" thread in the rigging forum.