Hash, Inc. Forums

how do i smooth this face

I find it hard to see from the picture - my eyesight is not too good at the moment- but one possible solution would be to check that all the normals are facing out around that area. Or you could try just messing with the bias handles - or drop a porcelain material on there.

If you just paste a section of the face up as a model, I will have a look.

Chris

you've got way too many vertical splines for what you're trying to do.

the fewer control points, the smoother the surface.

it's also pretty hard to see whats happening there on the brow, since the eyebrow is in the way. are those all four-point patches in that area?

-jon

Around the mouth and eyes. I am having a tough time getting it to be smooth. Do I need to rebuild or is there a trick to fix it?

post-631-1174112999_thumb.jpg

post-631-1174112963.jpg

Looks like you have a five point patch linking the eyebrow to the forehead near the end eyebrow point (guaranteed crease!)

Find an alternate spline route to produce a smooth surface. You can model a smooth surface without porcelain.

Point at 1 seems to be depressed or has thebias arms tweeked incorrectly.

Points at 2 (and matching points on other side) indicate bad splinage. At least one of those splines dead ends at the CP

The corners of the mouth also have far too many splines that are far too close together. You'll be hard pressed getting those splines smooth.

Cheers

Here's the wire view

Points at 2 (and matching points on other side) indicate bad splinage. At least one of those splines dead ends at the CP

The corners of the mouth also have far too many splines that are far too close together. You'll be hard pressed getting those splines smooth.

Cheers

post-631-1174786290_thumb.jpg

Here's the wire view

Cheers

post-631-1174786585_thumb.jpg

What higgins said about too many splines. With poly models, adding polys makes things smoother. With splines, whenever I have trouble with wrinkles, I find that REMOVING splines often cures the problem. Also, careful adjustment of bias handles is magic.

(...he says, as if he knew what he was talking about...)