Hash, Inc. Forums

MAAM Meeting

ddavis

Hey everybody,

It's been while and I feel it's time we all got together.

Don't know if I can top the excellent time we all had at "Club Hubukai" back in December but I can try.

I was thinking Saturday the 31st of March at my house.

Is anybody up for that?

Don,

As always thanks for the leadership. Unfortunately, numerous family committments keep me from being able to attend on the 31st. That and the fact that I have no active projects that I am working on to contribute in any way to the discussion.

Hope it is a great meeting!

Scott

Yes, I am there.

That day is definitely good for me and I'll be there with bells on! well maybe not bells on but I'll be there. With luck, will there be a pot of chili? I have already informed my wife that if that's the case I may be somewhat explosive when I get home.

I think will even have some new stuff to show from dark skull productions.

Well this is a good start.

Sorry to hear that Scott, you've been missed at the past few meetings, and what about the cookies?????

Vern, looks like you made a good impression on Marshall!

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26985

You may yet have a job in Hash trade shows.

John, I'm not sure about the food line up yet but it's a distinct possibility that you wife may be in for a night of olfactory terror.

I'll be there guys... DarkSkullProductions will be able to show some new stuff. Vern has transformed into the artist he always should have been... I wanna see the new Vern in action! Don isn't this our third year or fourth? When is the actual anniversary date for MAAM?

I will bring my "Lost World" project... I can show off some AM work for a change...

... along with... that... other... thing of course.

Don, speaking of that "other thing" I should give you a copy and see what you think. It should be done by then.

;)

-vern

Ya know Rich,

I hadn't thought about it but May will be the beginning of our 4th year (I think)

Wow, and they said it wouldn't last. Well we will have to drink to another 4 years. I think we can do things by 4's because don't a large number of animated characters have 4 fingers?

Yes, yes, Vern.... other thing...did you.....the thing.....package.....soup....six o'clock..... very intresting, I look forward to it.

More to come..........

Yes, this is going to be a great meeting. Dark Skull Productions is really picking up speed. Rich Jackson has been doing some awesome texturing. Ill try to render out a NEW show real for this meeting of latest renders and animations. Team DSP is taking the AM community by storm. There is no stopping this out of control train of talent and genius!

Uh... I don't mean to be stupid... but uh...

What time should we plan to be there?

I forget when we did this in the past... I seem to recall that the sun was usually out... but I also recall driving home in the dark.

In a previous message here... you mentioned six o'clock... is that the official start time?

I got lost going to Don's house last time there... I hope I do better this time. I plan to drive the route on my computer using Google maps (love that thing). Maybe you guys could go outside tomorrow and wave while I print the satellite maps... those are real time right? ;)

I'm sleepy right now... not that that is relevant in any way whatsoever.

-vern

Sorry Vern,

Didn't mean to be confusing ;)

Lets say officially we can start at 1:00 PM but I think anytime after 12 noon should be good. But, like usual it will only really start when you arrive.

As far as ending goes, when it gets dark is fine by me. Right now I have nothing planned for Sunday as well.

Don is the greatest host...

Vern's presentation was heavily technical, but when you talk about rigging, what do you expect?

In all, the meeting was fantastic... everything was perfect!

Thanks Don for getting me home alive. If I had taken that bus I would have pissed myself... as soon as I got into my apartment the beer kicked in again and "GUSH"- I just made it!

I am really inspired now, guys... thankyou!

The onlything we didn't cover at the meeting was the music of our production. I have a sample of something I submitted....

it is not the sound we are going for, but it is interesting. John H... do you like this one? It is the theme for one of the planets. It's loud... so please turn your sound down a little before listening.

PlanetTwilFnl.mp3

Great time yesterday!

Thanks Don!

Yes my "rigging" talk... uh... I showed off a detailed balsa wood model boat with fully rigged sails... yeah... that's the ticket.

Dark Skull productions has made much progress from our last meeting. The characters will blow your mind. The detail in my opinion is nearly up there with that "Final Fantasy" movie... without the kissing... and hopefully a better plot... I mean a plot better than FF... I don't think you guys need to redo the plot of your story. (Quite frankly I farted quite loudly on the way home last night and it had a better plot than the Final Fantasy movie.)

Watch this youtube video and you will understand why I referenced it several times during my critique of the Dark Skull sci-fi production shots.

I kept telling the guys to ignore my comments as many of them were alcohol induced smartass gibberish (I was Darth from that spoof video)

... like... suggesting Britany Spears do a song and dance number in the sentinel hanger bay (The lights around the sentinel alcoves did look like a little like stage footlights)... or having the words "Wash Me" scribbled on the dirty, space ship model.

I am still playing around with that "light tube" idea. I am still sure it's been done here before. (lights moved in a straight line with multipass to create "tube" lights).

I had another idea on how to deal with the cumulative light at the "ends" (jittered lights are fine side to side but you get a cumulative blast of light from each "end").... use a light list maybe? If you jitter several lights and use only one to light specific models in the chor... anyway... just playing with it.

I also demoed my current Lost World project and progress. We discussed the pros and cons of bevels and pose decaling. Does anyone else besides me use a 360 mag on bevels? Is there a benefit for using a lesser amount? Maybe for variation... hmm... use 360 on one end... a different amount on the other end... you get some natural variation....

Hey Rich?

Wing Flapping

I found these on youtube:

This one is sort of what I had in mind but much slower and the wings wouldn't stay closed at the end. And it has those straggly missing feathers as well. My thought would be 1 quick ruffly flap of the wings then setting into the final positiion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCe52Y-jRU

This one might be useful for using as a rotoscope. It is hard to tell if the motion is exactly what I had in mind exactly but it looks like it and is a pretty straight on view. The key in my mind is the "slow-fast-slow" kind of casual wing flap that birds do when just resting... like they're "showing off".

I'll keep looking.

-vern

Damn, I missed Vern talking about rigging.

I was thinking about coming to this meeting, but my car was in the shop. I wanted to show off the posable squetch installation rig (action install). Oh well, maybe next time.

Don't worry.

There were bones... and constraints... but my "rigging" talk had absolutely nothing to do with A:M in any way whatsoever.

I don't want people to get confused about my skills.

p.s. It also had nothing to do with American Idol either.

-vern

I translated what he said into A:M rigging, because often I look at work from people using other software as well and look at their tutrials to see if those steps would work in A:M also. 90% of the time A:M is capable of doing what other software does, but sometimes it's harder and sometimes it's easier.

As far as the U-tube vids--- I think I get the idea now, Vern. You can stop flapping your arms now.

John/Don... why don't you guys post some of that video from the meeting. I don't mind. Pictures are fine too. I think the community would like to see how geeky we really are.

Guys,

I recently finished a lipsync of the main character from a line in Battlestar Galactica using Lee Adama's voice. I'll post here, in case some of you can't or didn't get it.

I will post in WIP at the end of this week, and send out invitations to view the post through emails and PMs.

RomLIP2_NTSC_H264_2_.mov

Don, Great meeting. Thanks for hosting.

I thank you from the bottom of my bottom for the chillie. My wife didnt appreciate it as much as i did though. :- ) It was inspiriational as always. OMG, there is Rich Jackson! That guy i talk to all the time and never see.

Here is a photo of the MAAM group... going on 4 YEARS NOW!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

post-652-1175540098_thumb.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/hubukai/20070401MAAMMeeting

You look like a member of the "Beatles" with with Don's hair, with John's hair you look like and ex-headbanger, and with my hair.... you look Cuban.

Vern... don't you have a character to build and some tutorials to edit or something?

Wow!

I was wondering who all those other guys were!!!

The little ones, they breed like rabbits, which is shocking because I never saw a female.

Vern, you actually look cool with Rich's hair. (anything but mine)

Once again I am happy to provide a place. Lets drink to another 4 years!!!!!