Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Contest Animation - April Fools

Hey guys, I have entered Revver's next film contest, this one has the April fools theme. I started out to do a basic ball movement test, but as soon as the contest was announced I changed my whole outlook on the animation. Let me know what you guys think, thanks! Maybe I can get first this time around?

April Fools - Flash

April Fools - Quicktime

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really comment on the animation itself, I thought it was good. But the old "tail in the bucket of warm water" trick is priceless ;). I did notice that the tail seems to go through the cup or bucket or whatever it is.

One thing that stands out in my mind is the timing of ..."The Event" we shall call it, lol. :unsure:

It would seem like the naughty ball would not stick around long enough for "The Event"

to almost flood were his/she/it is standing.

A better approach: After the naughty ball places his gag prop and snickers to audience,

he should be already on his way out of the scene when "The Event" begins to occur.

The exaggerated timing delay between ball snicker and gag event allows the audience

a moment for their minds to compute what is going on.

Overall composition: I like the unique twist you gave to this simple excersise. It

shows an inherent creative talent that cannot be taught in school. B)

I thought the timing was good - I didn't compute what was happening. I did think he was a bit too close.

I liked the music and fonts.

Tail definitely goes through bucket.

I thought the www.uberanimator.com was right in the middle of the action - can it be moved down at all?

Great animation, Heath! I love the music and sfx they fit beautifully.

My only comments - while the sfx helped so that we knew there was water in the cup/bowl, some visual indication of liquid would be helpful.

Also, it looks like the blue ball ends up sitting in the "event" before bouncing away. Perhaps having the blue ball move further away so it doesn't look like, to the audience, it's getting a little "wet".

Otherwise, really good stuff!

- Michael

I liked the music an the way the noice matched with the balls movements. The joke is a classic an im sure alot of us have tried it, an had it tried on us.

Issues i think need to be adressed, 1, the .com name seems to be to hide an sometimes looks like its more important then the movie, My art teacher yelled at me for the way id sign my name on the drawings an paintings i did.. Thought id return the favor :P .

Most of what others said id work on. For me id like to see the sleeping animation an the yellow animation fixed. The black lines along with the breathing of the ball make it seem like its pushing the ball up. Id also fix the yellow trail around the box as well.. Maybe a somewhat evil laugh as the char is bringing the box over to the other char..

For me the best parts of the gags an the pranks is the reactions you get from the victims. Id have the ball leave after placing the tail in the water but stay at a distance to watch it happen, moments later the accident starts, Then id have the victim get up an bounce after teh other ball, leaving wet marks..

i dunno just more ideas for you to ponder an play around with..

• Admin

The only test your animation seems to fail is the 'Would my Mom understand it' test.

I don't think she would but thats not so much a scathing criticism as it is an example of potential barriers to communication through the generation gap. ;)

What I mean by this is that the punchline is one reserved for a particular audience that is 'in the know'.

Where this hits its intended audience... Bam! You are there.

Not sure how you could make it more universal except to include it within some kind of bookend that clues everyone in to what is going on.

One example: Introduce an alchoholic beverage (even though not required in the process demonstrated) and the 'aha moment' would be transcribed.

I'd think the 'yellow liquid' alone achieves this for the majority of audiences.

Otherwise you've communicated effectively. Without words even.

Good use of sound effects to sell it too.

This is a very successful animation on so many levels.

I'm impressed.

Well done!

The only test your animation seems to fail is the 'Would my Mom understand it' test.

I don't think she would but thats not so much a scathing criticism as it is an example of potential barriers to communication through the generation gap. ;)

What I mean by this is that the punchline is one reserved for a particular audience that is 'in the know'.

Where this hits its intended audience... Bam! You are there.

Not sure how you could make it more universal except to include it within some kind of bookend that clues everyone in to what is going on.

One example: Introduce an alchoholic beverage (even though not required in the process demonstrated) and the 'aha moment' would be transcribed.

I'd think the 'yellow liquid' alone achieves this for the majority of audiences.

Otherwise you've communicated effectively. Without words even.

Good use of sound effects to sell it too.

This is a very successful animation on so many levels.

I'm impressed.

Well done!

LOL Rodney, I used the same test! She did get it, got a chuckle out of her. I agree with all of you on the points you made, and looking at it now, it lacks character in a lot of ways. I am glad that people let me know this stuff, I will work hard on it for new animations. I have been watching a lot of animated films for inspiration, and I think it has worked. I seriously have watched about six animated films about 3 times each, evaluating scenes, facial expressions, basic body movements. It is amazing to watch what kind of actions go into resting animations alone. Well, back to animating! Keep the comments coming,

• 2 weeks later...
That one is fall-down, crap your pants funny.

Thanks Phastso. I am currently behind in the competition. The animation doesn't really relate to anyone as the characters are actually balls I guess :). Thanks for the nice words, I still have a long way to go. I took a week off animation for spring break (naughty me, I know).