Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

"Little Ditty" ... New Animation

Hey Everybody ...

I have been working on a short animation called "Little Ditty". It's about three mice that play in a jazz band. I'm still tweaking a few things and will hopefully have the completed animation ready within a week or two. But until then, I hope that you will enjoy a couple of stills from the movie. Thanks for taking a look ... Bruce (the wedgeeguy) :D

Still_01.jpg

Still_02.jpg

Still_03.jpg

Still_04.jpg

Still_05.jpg

Still_06.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for taking a look and leaving your comments. I will announce when I get everything completed.

Ken - I think our mouses might be cousins :P

Martin - Sorry but no hair this time. I did experiment with using hair on the bodies but the render time per frame was just a little longer then what I wanted to wait. I did use the hair to create the image for the decals though and that worked really well. Maybe on the next animation? :D

Thanks again everyone ....

Bruce

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. I have started the rendering process but unfortunately without using hair. It looks like the bulk of the animation is going to take around 30 hours (1400 frames) rendering at 720 X 486 resolution. About 1:20 minutes per frame ... that's not bad. All the editing is pretty much completed so it's just a matter of rendering out the frames (as TGA files of course).

Goodguy20K ... Thanks for your offer to help with the hair. You are correct in that more recent versions of A:M are faster in rendering hair. I tried adding hair back to just one of the mice and did some test renders. Under version 12 it took 5:24 minutes to render one frame. Under version 13 (same rendered frame) was cut back to 4:36 minutes. So there definitely was a speed increase. Sorry but I don't have version 14 to test to see if even that version is faster. All in all I will be satisfied with using the decals instead of hair ... But again thanks for the kind offer.

Dhar - I guess the music is a jazz influence but I'm no musical maestro.

More to follow ...

Bruce

Sorry but I don't have version 14 to test to see if even that version is faster.

What do you mean you don't have version 14? It's only $99! Do what I do, cut your neighbors' lawns and you'll have enough money. (Too bad art and programming don't pay enough to make a living.)

Goodguy20K ... Thanks for your offer to help with the hair. You are correct in that more recent versions of A:M are faster in rendering hair. I tried adding hair back to just one of the mice and did some test renders. Under version 12 it took 5:24 minutes to render one frame. Under version 13 (same rendered frame) was cut back to 4:36 minutes. So there definitely was a speed increase. Sorry but I don't have version 14 to test to see if even that version is faster. All in all I will be satisfied with using the decals instead of hair ... But again thanks for the kind offer.

It really depends on the hair you use. If you give me 1) the approximate size of the mice (so I can create a test object to scale), 2) the maximum allowable time you'd be happy to render it at, 3) the resolution rendered, 4) and what the base render time is (render time before hair added) per frame, I'll see if I can create a material for v13. (It's not too bad in v13 anyways. :) )

GoodGuy20K ... Again thanks for the offer. I just settled on going ahead and rendering with just the decals. Once everything is completed, if you like, I can post one of the mice to the boards and you can do whatever you like with them .. ummm? ... of course within the guidelines of the SPCA. ;)

Martin ... Thanks for the advice about mowing lawns to make a couple of extra bucks for an upgrade. That idea sure beats the heck out of my current method of raising extra cash ... giving sponge baths at the local old folks home for a quarter. :D

Currently I am in rendering limbo while stuff is being created but everything is looking good so far.

More to follow ...

Bruce (the wedgeeguy)

"Little Ditty" has now been completed! I have posted a mini version from my website that all of you are invited to come and eyeball if you like. Thanks again for all the kind words and encouragement and I hope that everyone gets a kick out of it. :D

"Little Ditty"

Size: 12Mb. (quick loading)

Codec: Sorenson 3 (Quicktime 5? or greater)

Video Size: 320 x 200

Direct link: "http://www.pencilwedgees.com/playmovie-LittleDitty.html"

Time to create from scratch: About 3 months

Please let me know if anyone has any problems viewing this movie.

Thanks for taking a look ...

Bruce (the wedgeeguy)

• Admin

Another great short Bruce! Loved it.

The first time viewing the sound was just a little bit off (cache not caught up?)

The second time though *BAM* right on the symbol every time.

Were you going to attempt a re-render with hair?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to take a look. I appreciate all the comments and I am glad that everyone seems to have enjoyed it. :D

Rodney - No, I don't think that I am going to re-render with hair although it would probably look pretty good. All in all I am happy with the way it turned out.

As promised, I am attaching one of the mice to this post. It is created in version 12w so it should also be usable in versions higher then that. The mouse is fully rigged with basic pose sliders but I did remove the decals used for the "hair" though. The TGA image files used for the decals weigh in at about 19MB. I know it was probably overkill for what I did with them but I wanted to make sure that I retained the detail of the hair when the camera was doing a closeup. Please feel free to do whatever you wish with this model without any restrictions. If anyone does come up with something neat using the model then please let me know so that I can take a look. ;)

Mouse_Bare.mdl

Hopefully attaching a model file will work through the board here .... Whelp, it looks like it does ... Yay!

Again thanks for the comments ... Now I need to get with Ken Baer and see about adding it to A:M Films.

Much appreciated everyone ....

Bruce