Hash, Inc. Forums

Need ideas

Mr. C

Well, I'm at a boarding school. And I just may have the oppertunity to teach a course in animation master (10 hours of work per class)

Problem is, I need to learn AM in 4 1/2 months or less... Is that even possible? I've about convinced my school to buy 10 copies. (one of which will be mine) And I really want to learn and learn to teach amimation.

Any ideas on were to start? Can somone link me to all of the online VIDEO toturials?

And is 4 months even enough time.

I would lead four two-week classes. class would be structured in the following manner:

- Students will create and animate their own character

- Students will learn the basics of modeling and animation

- Students will add sound to their animation

Day 1: Introductory lesson. Learn the names of students, introduction to Animation Master. Begin Setting up a scene.

Day 2: Activity one: Use the scene they made yesterday to make the character do the Can-Can, a lesson in animation.

Day 3: Begin work on model

Day 4: Continue work on model

Day 5: Continue work on model

Day 6: Continue work on model

Day 7: Continue work on model

Day 8: Finish the model and begin a small animation

Day 9: Finish animation and add sound

Day 10: Finish project

Is that realistic?

You can download The Art of Animation Master from the Hash FTP site (ftp://ftp.hash.com/public). Just navigate to the appropriate folder. It will give you an idea of the tutorial outlien Hash has developed for new users. (copy comes with each version of AM)

Hash has all this course stuff already figured out for schools - http://www.hash.com/2007web/coursemat.htm. You might want to email Hash and ask about what is available. I beleive Martin indicated that they offer seminars to 'train the trainers'.

Cheers

http://www.hash.com/vm

This is a complete course based on the TAOA:M manual- there is a printable course outline, even introductory lessons on the History of Animation and the History of Computer Graphics- Not only can you teach a class using these materials, you can certainly use them to get up to speed using A:M in the shortest amount of time-

• Admin

Mr. C,

Definitely use the TaoA:M curriculum.

Its proven. It works.

For a 10 hour course you definitely don't have time to do this one without a serious plan:

- Students will create and animate their own character

As such I think it better to introduce characters that are already made and let the students animate with those first.

If you want to add Modeling (and I know you do!) suggest that students might create a simple prop to be added in a scene.

If each student makes a different prop... there could be a lot of props to share.

Focus on the basics though...

Lathing (This is how you do it. Now do it.)

Extrusion (This is how you do it. Now do it.)

Again... TaoA:M provides a proven method but you may want to deviate in some cases.

Some of the more extensive exercises you can have them do (or at least study) outside of class.

If you have limited time for modeling and want to concentrate on storytelling/animation for instance, you may want to provide the basic props and suggest that students modify them to fit their needs.

I'm a big fan of TaoA:M but once you get into modeling a character... the average student is going to get lost quickly and need some serious hand holding. More advanced students can pursue character modeling and rigging but I'd say that is rather advanced and outside the scope of a 10 hour class.

Now if you consider a flower a character.... TaoA:M's got a lesson for you there too.

Students can model and rig and animate that one in good time.

Bottom Line?

If you run them through the basics... and get them into TaoA:M... they'll be set for success.

Once they complete your course they can (and will assuming they have the continuing interest) move on to more advanced lessons on their own.

If your goal is to introduce them to AM then what you have is a good start, though pretty ambitious for 10 hours.

If your goal is to teach them Animation, then you might cut to the chase by skipping the modelling and using premade models and characters from the cds or modelling a flour sack or something and teaching them Disney style.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with the class.