Hash, Inc. Forums

Basic Ball Bounce - Crit Please

Funny story behind this. So I am taking a 3D Animation course at the college I am going to, and the program we are using is Cinema 4D. We are doing a bouncing ball project, and I decided to do it in the program I am familiar with as well as C4D. I will compare the two when I am done and upload a comparison video if I see fit. You can also see the animation in Flash format

BallBounce.mov - Quicktime

BallBounce on Revver - Flash

• Hash Fellow

I agree that it looks more like a jumping ball than a bouncing ball. If the assignment really is "basic bouncing ball" then you'd want to have the ball fall and behave more naturally, perhpas bouncing a few times and coming to rest. But if the goal is to make it look more like a character, then having it appear to move on its own would be part of it.

I notice the volume of the ball is not being consistently maintained. For example, the stretched ball on the contact frame is no longer than the unstretched ball on the frame that follows it. And the ball squashing during an anticipation is no wider than the unsquashed ball before it.

It does look like an enthusiastic yay.gif ball, however!

I like the living ball idea. That ball has the most personality I think I've ever seen a bouncing ball exude.

Now I can honestly say that I know people more boring than a rubber ball.

Nice work!

The squash & stretch, as Robcat pointed out, is not perfect in its volume-maintenance, but I think it doesn't hurt the piece at all in this case.