Hash, Inc. Forums

Star Wars Characters WIP

Hey everybody!

I've been working on a personal project (Dark_Jedi is also slated to start on this) lately that involves creating TONS of Star Wars character at medium detail as photo-realistic as possible. (Sorry Colin, no Lost World entry yet) All in all, there are about 30 characters that need to be modeled.

Here's my old work (about 6 months ago) for the project (they're animated):

testgif.gif

Animation1.gif

I'm not 100% satistfied with these and I might go back to them

New stuff:

reason2.JPG

This project involves a lot of "speed modeling" which I LOVE! This guy was done in 3 1/2 hours:

tuskenwip.JPG

tuskenbody.JPG

Newest WIP--one of my favorites

armordone.JPG

I'll post as I get more--hoping for a character every 2 or 3 days depending on their complexity. That may be a stretch for the last guy.

If you would like to post crits, that would be great but I might not have the time to do them unless they're REALLY good.

Thanks-Lee

P.S--if anyone using V13 or higher is interested and thinks that they can make realistic movement for these guys and animate them (Oh, and rigging too, lots of quick, messy rigging. In fact if you're interested and capable of creating photo-realistic models too)--PM me :)

Thanks Dhar and Jeff-glad to hear you fine fellas like it!

There's such a thing as speed modeling?

How do you do that?

I tend to take my time. I imagine modeling every day sort of makes you get used to it and then no lag.

For me, I go as fast as I can--putting a lot of detail in textures--sometimes using photos. I steal parts of old models and just go for it!

Sometimes things can go slower, like with Fett because of his details--here's an update:

mostofarms.JPG

Thanks guys!

Lee

Thanks Ken! That's a big complement coming from a top-notch modeler such as yourself

Those models are so tight! You should make a tutorial. I am working on a star wars film with my friend. I wish i was as good with modeling as you are. It would take me a week to make anything nearly as good as Boba Fett. Great Job!

Thanks! I'm not sure that I could write a tutorial about anything that's not already out there. With these kind of models it's really just a matter of finding the workflow that's best for you. Just keep practicing and learn how to do decal work--that's what makes up half of this model. What's your fanfilm about? Good luck!

Here's Boba in his finished form: 5,033 patches. This wouldn't be bad for a next-gen game model if I do say so myself!

bobabody.JPG

Still looking for animators--all you would be doing is basic actions: walk cycles etc.

Lee

Thanks Gustavo! I'll be starting on another character tomorrow

Depending on when and what, and how strict you need me to commit to a timeline (like, project timeline), I might be able to squeeze in a little animation for you. Walk cycles are something I love. :)

That would be awesome! Thanks Daniel! There are no real deadlines to this--it just has to be done in the eventual future...is that non-deadliney enough? I'll PM you with details, thanks again!

I am hoping i will get that good at modeling some day.

I assume you used some type of image editing program for the textures?

You will be ;) I used Photoshop CS for my decals. I think it's a necessity, but I used Paint for a loooong time. Obviously you can't get nearly as sophisticated textures but it still works

Here's one just for fun:

toonboba.JPG

I realized that in the last picture (rendered with AO) made him look way too pink--these are the true colors

Any more takers on some animating/rigging/modeling?

Lee

Nice AO render! Can we see some shaded wire images?

Sure! Uh-oh! Is Ken's interest being peaked? Does Ken want to make a Star Wars model? (waves his Jedi hand) You want to make a Star Wars model. Well, if you want and/or have time. But if an invitation is what you were waiting for, here it is ;)

bobawire.JPG

I kept the spline count conservative because of the resolution the model will be seen at.

Ken still has Yoda to finish, haha. Great job so far.

Too true lol... you know Jeff--there are some outrageous creatures that could be modeled...I mean, I know that's kind of a specialty of yours ;);)

Thanks Al and clonewar12345!

Here's a new character--Guri, the Star Wars version of 7 of 9 (hair to be textured):

gurifirst.JPG

EDIT

Here's the new face sculpt--Killed myself trying to get it, I think it was worth it

gurififth.JPG

Thanks,

Lee

OMG, Lee! These are amazing. I must say Guri looks particularly fantastic!

- Michael

Thanks a lot Michael! That's a bigger complament then you may know--me and another guy on the project spent the better part of last night trying to make Guri look babe-ish enough. The first attempts were SCARY, luckily all documentation of said attempts have been destroyed

your legs are to chuncky

They are not! They're slender and muscular!

and with boba too :o

Oh! Yeah...well, I agree. I guess I wanted the pants to seem baggy but since they only have bump-mapped wrinkles it looks like his chunky legs are about to blow the pants apart :D

Here's the last update for Prince Xizor--his iconic spiny back

xizorspine.JPG

Here's how his face turned out:

xizorprogress2.JPG

Daniel (goodguy20k) has volunteered to animate Xizor. Thanks Daniel!

Modelers/Riggers/Animators are still welcome if you're interested ;)

Thanks!

Lee

Thanks Caleb and Largento!

Here's the textured version--because the character is minor and will be seen from a distance--I don't really need too much detail. It's sad, really it would have been fun to go all out.

Here he is!

littlealienwip4.JPG

Lee

Thanks Daniel!

lol i like him! but how does he see?

Lol...that's a problem for George Lucas to BS his way through, not me ;)

Here's the latest character--he'll only be seen from the waist-up (to avoid being too risque :D )Textures are Darktrees

Leebo:

leebo1.JPG

leebo2.JPG

leebowire.JPG

Lee

WOW.. i wish i could texturing like you did on the little guy.. i know you said it is just a distant shot but wow... i cant even come close to texturing like that...

and the robot.. i think he is called Leebo (not sure if thats what you meant) is really nice also...

you are getting very far with your project... all superb work also

Dude, you are my HERO. I wish I could model that fast, I'm so totally blown away by what you can do in such a short time. And not only that, but your wires look so clean and efficient. I have a problem with putting in way too many splines. I was trying to make the greatest character in the entire Star Wars universe....Jek Porkins. But it was killing me, I spent way too much time on the model so I kinda gave up on it. You've inspired me to give it another go. Many thanks, bro!

Thanks a lot Caleb! You're already waaay good at modeling, it'll just be another year or two before you pass me up at texturing :)

And thank you Chris for making my ego so big that we had to make a new door to get me out of the house! I'm glad that I've inspired you to remake old porky! I hope that you post him when you think he is ready! Keep practicing spline work--speed modeling is the best (and most fun).

New character: A slightly rude B'omarr Monk with a lighting/environment test:

bomarrmonk.JPG

And a close-up

bomarrmonk2.JPG

Sorry, this one wasn't too exciting

Animators? Any interest? Walk cycles?

Lee? My name is? Question Mark?

man jimmy you are going to town on these models! That lighting test reminds me of an adventure game, what is this project going to be for? Man I would love to help animate but i'm so swamped right now I'm having trouble even getting my TWO assignments done, so I guess it'll have to wait.

Keep up the great work!

-Ethan

Thanks Caleb and Paul for the compliments! I'm glad you like them!

this is from star wars?

Yep. Well, Star Wars concept art by Ralph McQuarrie

bomarrmonk.jpg

man jimmy you are going to town on these models! That lighting test reminds me of an adventure game, what is this project going to be for?

An adventure game ;) Thanks Ethan! You get the grand prize...which is...um to know what these models are for. Thanks for thinking about animating though. You're way too talented for this kind of a project anyway :D But...if you ever get a hankerin' for some walk cycles let me know!

I have the next couple of characters (Leia, Chewie, IG-88)on my plate. I'll probably get started today.

Lee

an adventure game... why'd it have to be an adventure game... I always wanted to make an adventure game. arrrghh your killing me jimmy. I wish i'd been born twins, get more done ;)

Did you ever play that old lucas arts indiana jones and the fate of atlantis game? That's what really made we want to make one for years and years. It looks like youv'e got an incredible start are you writing plot and dialogue paths and stuff for this?

-Ethan

Well, here's my first rev of the walk cycles. :) It's pretty much "textbook", but I think I over emphasized the stepping. The arms need to be more conservative as well. And then there's the robe... :shock: ;)

Great work Daniel! You already noticed all of the things that I saw. Is there anyway to make the walk cycle start in that pose that I sent you? Thanks again! That looks great!--good level of creepiness

Did you ever play that old lucas arts indiana jones and the fate of atlantis game? That's what really made we want to make one for years and years. It looks like youv'e got an incredible start are you writing plot and dialogue paths and stuff for this?

lol...I wish you were able to help too ;) . Indy and the Fate of Atlantis?--that's only one of my favorite games EVER! This is a little off topic, but I made

a few years ago (it's bad) just because I loved the game so much.

The game itself is based off of my favorite Star Wars story Shadows of the Empire and is the brainchild of a great guy in Italy named Davide. He's done about 90% of the backgrounds (over 100 matte paintings in the style of the one above), so it's my job to do the sprites.

Well the offer is certainly open if you ever get the chance.

Lee

that's awesome jimmy! certainly brings back memories of the game :) must have taken quite a bit of work too back in the day! It was the best adventure game on the planet! Must have played it through 10 times. Best of luck on this one, i'll certainly keep it in mind if I ever manage to find the 36 hour days alot of poeple on the forums seem to have :)

Does this fall in the catagory of a fan game, since copyright issues would keep it from being sold?

-Ethan

Great Stuff Daniel! I see now, you had everything under control...I'll just leave you alone next time ;) Thanks again--it looks great!

Is that all your own work? How long did it take you?

Thanks Paul! Except for the textures on Indy, everything is mine. I don't even want to remember how long I spent on that. It was very rushed though...as you can very clearly see

It was the best adventure game on the planet! Must have played it through 10 times. Best of luck on this one, i'll certainly keep it in mind if I ever manage to find the 36 hour days alot of poeple on the forums seem to have :)

Whoa! Is it 29:30 already?! Sometimes time just goes by like crazy! I played through FOA tons of times too! You always seem to pick up something new--like talking to all of those snobby people in Monte Carlo or just playing through the different paths.

Does this fall in the catagory of a fan game, since copyright issues would keep it from being sold?

Yes...and we're not trying to get huge publicity just yet. I really don't want Uncle Georgey to come and shut us down :(

Thanks for the response people--I'll get crackin' on those next characters

Lee