Hash, Inc. Forums

Stalled Trek

largento

Thanks, Lee! When you say "other model" are you meaning the one I modeled 6 months ago, or the earlier version of this 3rd one (the Ernest Borgnine one)?

Yes.

Okay, okay... I mean the one from six months ago, in your avatar. Just the sculpt itself though...it made him look more "spunky". Does that make sense? I'm thinking that perhaps the nose is a little too cartoony. It's like you see a pretty girl walking down the street towards you, but then when she passes, you see that she has some ghastly nose in profile.

The rest of it looks awesome though, especially the hair curl; I like how crisp it looks!

Keep it up!

Lee

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Lee, Mark, Mike!

Lee, hopefully the character will come through more once he's finished and rigged with facial poses. It really brought the old one to life. Your analogy reminded me of being a teenager and my friends and I had a term for what you described. We called them "Mall Girls." The girls you'd see far away in the mall and think "wow" and then when you finally got up close... not so wow. :-)

Mark, I like a cartoony look, too. ...and I think I'm still going for that. Just not as broad of one as before. I think Lee was right about the nose. I think it's still cartoony, but I brought it back a little.

Mike, I think I'm going in the right direction for me. That's not to say, I won't end up changing my mind, but I really am feeling good about the new model.

I'll make this the last image until I complete the model, but here's a direct comparison of the v2 and v3 Kroks. Maybe not quite so startling a difference as between v1 and v2, but still a big one.

v3_6_krok0.jpg

Okay...so correct me if I'm wrong, but the top one is the new one, right?

If that's the case, then WOW! You got it man! I scrolled down and thought: "Shatner". You're modeling has come so far, I love it! You're stuff is really inspiring to me...you really need to write a tutorial.

Lee

P.S. "Mall girls" huh? I love it! I like to use the term "butter face" (everything "but her face").

Okay...so correct me if I'm wrong, but the top one is the new one, right?

Right. The top one is v3 and the bottom one is the 2nd version (the one in my avatar.) The only way I could get the old one to look good was when I used facial poses and kept it at pretty much a straight-on view... which was obviously pretty limiting. :-)

If that's the case, then WOW! You got it man! I scrolled down and thought: "Shatner". You're modeling has come so far, I love it! You're stuff is really inspiring to me...you really need to write a tutorial.

Thank you, sir! I definitely feel like the v3 model is a step up, but of course, it's impossible for me to see it objectively. (I just hope six months from now, it still holds up to me!) :-) Some of my friends didn't understand why I was doing this remodel, thinking that it was basically throwing away all of the work I'd done up to this point, but I don't think of it that way.

I agree, the top one is better. Nice modeling, Mark! The only crit from me would be the ear attachment...it looks stuck on there instead of being part of the head mesh.

Thank you, David! Your crit is absolutely correct (and a reminder that I've still got aways to go with my modeling skills!) It is connected to the mesh on the back, but my attempt to connect the front part to the side of the face was spectacularly bad, so I opted for just tucking that part into the face. That's something I definitely need to re-visit down the line.

Well, after enough stabs to fill up an Agatha Christie novel, I finally figured out how to attach the ears last night. It ended up not being nearly as difficult as I kept trying to make it... and wonders of wonders, when I went to attach it, I had the exact same number of splines to attach on the ear as the hole in the head. Nice when that happens. I'll probably spend a few sessions endlessly moving things around on it, but it's already an improvement.

krokear.jpg

Thanks for the push, guys!

That's a lot better, Mark! Very nice ear. Something I didn't notice before is that the lower lip isn't rounded, it's kind of a cliff...a little nudging things around would fix it (if you decided to, it might be a deliberate design choice...if so, ignore me).

I'll be honest. I find the ears the hardest thing to do. I like yours, and they look way better attached than not :).

Thanks, Jeff! Yeah, the ears are really tough. Deceptively so, because you don't really think they are important until you start trying to make one and they don't come out right. Then they take away from the whole head.

I forgot to give a word of thanks to Bill Gaylord. He modeled a simple ear for me and it was a great resource to look at while I was making this one. Most importantly, he showed me how to start the ear, which is key. (Thanks again, Bill!)

That's a lot better, Mark! Very nice ear. Something I didn't notice before is that the lower lip isn't rounded, it's kind of a cliff...a little nudging things around would fix it (if you decided to, it might be a deliberate design choice...if so, ignore me).

Thanks, David! Another great catch. I went and looked at some profile shots on the web and saw what you meant about the roundness of the botttom lip. That was one of those things that I'd never noticed before. It was a much easier thing to fix. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

v3_4full_bodies0.png

Attached Krok's head to his body today. Needs some work (although I'm fairly proud of his new boots!) :-)

Figure I'll spend the week tweaking things and then rig it next weekend. I'm waiting until he's fully rigged before I do the decaling.

Here's a turnaround...

v3_spin.mov

• 3 weeks later...

Just in the way of an update...

I spent some time this weekend experimenting with doing UV decals. I watched Will's tutorial disk and really wanted to give it a try. It's still a work in progress (I'm working on painting the hair in 3D painter, but haven't figured out exactly how I want it to look yet.)

Nothing too dramatic with it. I think the tunic looks pretty good. I gave the color decal some noise and then added a bump decal with white pixels applied with a brush set to dissolve. It doesn't look quite as soft, although, I've found that when you add depth of field, the softer focus areas sell it as being felt.

Here's an image of the model and the decal sheets...

test.jpg

test2.jpg

v3_decal_close0.jpg

• 1 year later...

There's a website out there called GoAnimate that lets you assemble little animations using mostly provided assets. It's really simplistic and the webapp is very clunky, but since they have a bunch of assets for "Star Trek," I couldn't resist doing up a version of "Stalled Trek: Amutt Time." :-)

This is just part one and I'm not sure if I'll do the other parts, but it didn't take very long to do this (I started this morning) and it was actually kind of fun.

You can see it here.

Thanks, guys!

I have, Gene! It's one of the classics!

One of these days I'll be finished with The Wannabe Pirates and be able to come back to this. I've done this story so many times, that it never feels like it's finished. (The first time I started it was 13 years ago!)

• 1 year later...

I'm not ready to make any announcements yet since things are still in the gelatinous phase, but I thought I'd share this test here.

I'm working on a system of doing animated puppets. A system where I can easily create many characters from basic building blocks. Essentially like the generic Muppets that you could stick eyes and noses and wigs on to make any character you needed to.

I first worked on this test a few weeks ago, but tonight I experimented with adding hair.

Anyways, it's just a second long, but here's the test...

hairtest.mp4