Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Common Assault Marine

Hey everyone!

My, it's been a while since I've posted here :( Im quite disapointed in that.

If you can remember, my friend and I had to stop our Star Wars film (due to copywrite) So we started our own film.. Now I asure you, I had expected weekly updates like before.. but because of a teacher breathing down my neck, I had no time to pull all the effort im my models, and felt none were really worthy of posting lol. But now that first semester is over, we finally get to work without it being due for a certain day. With that I went back to re-make the terible Marine I put together for end of class.. Iv been working on it for three weeks now.. putting it off for posting (not sure why). Iv still got extras to add (plus helmet) and better renders to come.

So here it is so far, I'd love to hear what you all have to say :)

post-8907-1172715490_thumb.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the butt could be a little bigger and more detailed, but thats a choice I suppose.

I think his hands could be just a smidge bigger to... maybe elongate the forarms a tad.. hard to tell in the pose he's in.

I usually measure the hands and feet next to the head. If the hand can't cover the face then its to small. Women can have slightly smaller hands, but men have to have the big hands ;-)

Just check all your proportions against the head.. its spot on! So if they look small or big next to it.. then somethings wrong.

31000 patches? you are a mad man!

Thanks everyone.

Yes Ken this is for my film now. And in a week or two youll be seeing the next model (little hint... its the evil side they fight)

I dunno I thought his butt was fine.. he is wearing pants lol. and im pretty sure hands are fine.. last time i mesured they were bigger then his face.

as for the patch count.. I sapose I am mad lol. Hate having so many cause it slows it down severly. Yet I love to add the detail.

For some of his gear, you can cut some patch count by using normal maps. Unless you'll be rendering images a foot away, I don't think it will be that noticeable. For folds you could use displacement mapping especially on the boots where you have them kind of doing some washboard geometry. I'm all for adding detail, but when it causes models to slow down to the point where it's a hassle to model, it's time to use some decals.

31,000 patches?!

NyahKitty approves!

I usually pile on all sorts of geometry until my computer begs for mercy and I laugh maniacally.

At some point I try to reduce the patch count, but it seems my workflow is to model all details, then streamline the model.

Theoretically the A:M modeling tools are designed so you can create a model right the first time.

One day I hope to be that good.

Very nice model, by the way.

Absolutely superb model!

But I would agree that you should start experimenting with decals. With heavy models like this animating is going to get very frustrating. Imagine what a choreography with two or three of these guys in it will be like to work with. Of course you can use proxy models to ease the burden.

Great work!

Also, if the pouches etc are separate from the body, you might consider making them action objects. So, you would make them in a new model and drop them onto the body in an action. That way, you can delete the action in the chor when you're animating. But unfortunately there's no CFA in actions.

Well there apears to be alot of coments telling me to try deceling lol. Does anyone know of any good materials.. also, what about bump maps or whatever it is that makes the decels look 3d ish

I'm surprised that you can model this fantastically and have no experience with bump or normal maps. Basically they are maps which tell the light shader how to render a pixel on geometry. When made correctly, these maps can make a flat surface look very detailed.

There are three main maps which do this: bump maps, normal maps, and displacement maps. All three have their own good uses. Bump maps are primarily for course surfaces like dirt, metal etchings, or cloth stitching. Normal maps are for details that should be a bit smoother like the armor components on your solider. Displacement maps are a little different in that they change the hight of the pixels on geometry. The surface will not be affected, but when you render, the map will make the surface appear to have been actually modeled.

Bump maps and displacement maps are black and white hightmaps, while normal maps are colorful. They use different colors to give a greater amount of depth to details, but can be a less presice. You can use all of these maps ontop of eachother, and all on the same model.

As far as materials, you are probably going to want to invest into Dark Tree. It would probably be your best choice for creating a fabric texture on the cloth parts of the model. It's great for a lot of textures, but you'll need someone with more experience to give you a description of how to use it.

So heres another render... Id like to thank jimmy_caushca for suplying me with what I need to render such a thing as this :P

I added darktrees on trooper and the enviroment arround him... Would love to hear what you wall think :P

post-8907-1173400812_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
He really looks great. My only crit is that his feet seem small compared to the proportions of his body. I'd make them a little longer and the toe box bigger on his boots.

Other than that.. He's awesome!

Excellent model! I haven't read the rest of the pages on your progress yet. I just wanted to compliment you on a fantastic modelling job. I also wanted to share something I learned awhile ago.

I know that this is coming kinda late in the thread, but there is a really interesting way of determining foot size. Your foot length is roughly equal to the measurement of your wrist to elbow. You can prove this to yourself by squatting down and placing your right elbow even with your left heal.

Your wrist and big toe match up relatively close.

Aloha, Robakyo