Hash, Inc. Forums

Windows Vista?

Steven547

• Admin

Steven,

I'm happy to report that not only will it be compatible... it IS compatible.

I'm using both v13 and v14 on a laptop enabled with Windows Vista (Home Premium Edition) now.

Watch out for graphics cards though.

SE versions of some cards don't play nice with high end graphics programs.

I can't speak for all versions of Windows Vista and haven't tested versions prior to v13.

I've been working with A:M 2007 on Vista for a couple of days now. I accidentally bought the 64-bit version, so I expected more problems than I've had.

Everything seems to work great - I had a bit of a hiccup about rotoscopes and decals showing white, but that's because I'd forgotten that Vista doesn't support OpenGL, but once I did the Aha moment and changed to DirectX it is fine.

My community text was not showing up the other day, but it is now, so I can't blame Vista for that I guess.

(That's not to say that every other program works well on Vista though :D )

Just saw Rodney's post - my graphics card is an ATI Radeon X800. I haven't even installed drivers for it - they seem to be built into Vista.

a bit more vista /OpenGL info...

-nVidia has a full, robust OpenGL implementation for GeForce 6/7/8 series cards in their very latest drivers

-ATI has implemented OpenGL for the X series cards, however I'm not 100% sure if OpenGL performance will be as fast as it was in WINXP

-there will not be Vista OpenGL support for older ATI/nVidia cards

-it's highly unlikely integrated video chips will support OpenGL in Vista

Thanks, Steve - OpenGL is now working, but now has the same "drag to select" control points issue that DirectX had. (That the rubber band is not transparent, but shows another part of the screen). Should I report that?

(With DirectX it happened, but if I switched back to OpenGL and back again on entry to the program, the issue went away. That doesn't work now)

(And thanks, Steven547, for indirectly fixing my OpenGL thing, sorry for hijacking)