Hash, Inc. Forums

Light in a closed room

ftu_de

This is a mistake. My problem is, that the light shine through an object. I don't want this!

In the closed roomobject, there are no shadow from the roomobject. If you change the option "Volumetric" to ON, you see the lightbeam crossing the roomobject from out to in, but not from in to out.

The Light Lists are not the solution.

natrally for light to shine through an object you need to use radiosity or tubulance.

this is an incorrect statement. What you need is transparency.

If you want to make the light bounce and hit other parts of the room other than parts that are inline with the hole/window then you will want to use Radiosity, but it isn't required to get light to pass through a hole or a transparent part.

The problem relates to the ray tracing of the shadows (I think this is a known issue, but not sure why it persists). There are two solutions.

1) Change the light to a klieg and set the shadow type to z-buffered.

2) Keep the light as a sun, but change the number of rays cast to 2.

Scott

Rays cast is the solution.

But rays cast 3. I became at rays cast 2 a double shadow, the old false and the good new.

I tried your project-file 'room.prj' with different 'ray-cast' settings, same problem as described in your first post.

Niels

But rays cast 3. I became at rays cast 2 a double shadow, the old false and the good new.

Not really. If you look at the left frontmost leg you'll see there isn't a shadow. If you sharpen the shadows by decreasing the width of your light you'll see those other leg shadows start to disappear if they aren't in the light. Because your shadows are so soft you are getting bleeding where the back legs actually appear to be in some light.

Try making the light with very small and see what you get, unless of course you want really soft shadows in which case there is no work around that I know of.