Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Texturing a aircraft

Phil

I've finally got some time to get back to my AV8 project. I want to texture the model but haven't textured anything so i dont know where to start.

I have 3D painter to use. I would like to dirty it up some. any pointers or tutorial would be great

av8.JPG

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice plane.

Dhar wrote a 3dPainter startup tutorial:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23896

You can do automatic decalling in 3dPainter, but I think it looks better if you actually separate out all the bits for separate painting. Although if you're only painting bits of the plane, then you'd probably get away with it.

Colin's head texturing

William Sutton's definitive tutorial

After I'd played around with 3dPainter for some time, I read the manual, and it's very good.

Looking forward to seeing the painted plane!

With the plane's I'm putting together I'm just screen grabbing the component I want from top side or whatever. Then dropping the grab in Paintshop Pro upping the resolution cutting colours or panels from actual aircraft photos and putting them on the texture. Draw a few panels in. Add magic ingredient insomnia and the job gets done.

2_texturing_1.jpg

Then hide the bits you don't want decalled and just import your image and it as a decal. Seems to be working well so far. The uv stuff I would use for faces or surfaces which are not very linear and require unwrapping. What i've worked out so far with texturing aircraft is that panel lines and a little dirt is key.