Hash, Inc. Forums

2007 A:M CD and Extra DVD

Rodney

• Admin

Hash Inc is currently distributing the Extra DVD with 2007 upgrades.

With over 3.5 Gigabytes of A:M resources there is a whole lot to see.

I finally started looking through the content and was surprised to see my robot sentry! (eeek!)

The sentry has the distinction of being one of the first models I created in A:M and as such is sure not much to look at.

He's an almost entirely lathed character that harkens back to the time before I felt comfortable with extrusion.

Now lathing... that I thought I understood.

Still, I must admit it gave me a thrill to see that old model there on the Extra DVD.

He's a bit embarrasing to look at but I'm proud of him. What fun times those were. :)

As you explore the DVD please feel free to post questions or commentary here for all to see.

As for my sentry... I'd like to use him as the star of a tutorial demonstrating lathing techniques.

Maybe... "The 5 minute robot sentry"?

What have you seen on the Extra DVD?

Sentry000.jpg

My 1st model was a ball bearing lol. I made a knife yesterday, and I'm gonna make a table today! Man, getting excited about furniture, what's happened to me....

Is there a visual exploration of the DVD( like driver install disks) or is it just info? I opened it and looked a little but I stopped to work on my project some more :rolleyes:

• Admin
Rodney, umm.... Is he gonna grow wings and fly? Cause that sure looks like an aircraft wheel to me!!
His pappa was an aircraft wheel but he doesn't talk much about him.

Is there a visual exploration of the DVD( like driver install disks) or is it just info? I opened it and looked a little but I stopped to work on my project some more

Um... short answer 'Yes'. Correct answer 'No'.

I've got one but the Extra DVD doesn't. (Long story)

Thats part of the reason we are exploring here.

There are some great things that have been added to the Extra DVD that I'm only now discovering.

Just pick one item on the DVD you think is cool and pass it on. :)

And here's The Making of the Leopard Queen which is an in-depth explanation. Brilliant.

I went straight to the Tutorials section - So many to choose from, but I pick, again from Jim Talbot, the Texturing A Head movies. (In Tutorials > Decaling > Jim Talbot.)

(Oh, and because I can't pick just one - the Proxy Model.pdf in Tutorials > ProxyModels.)

• Admin

It is indeed a thrill to see Jim Talbot represented.

He's been contributing resources to the A:M Community since long before the Extra CD/DVD.

Similar to his Leopard Queen is another award winning project: Jungle Queen

There are a lot a reasons to study the work of Jim Talbot!

Taking a close look at his outstanding decal work is a must.

JungleQueen.jpg

• Admin
No way! The orangutan is on the DVD? That's one of my favorite mascots. And Jim Talbot's work is always amazing. I wish I could upgrade, but it will have to wait til I have some spare cash, sigh.

Oh oh, I will not mention the 24 actions that come with him then.

That would just be cruel.

Seriously, I wish I had your undestanding of bones and constraints Mark.

Analysing the model's rigs would be so much more enlightening if I did have a more thorough understanding.

I can appreciate them... use them a little too... but thats about it. I can't understand them.

Some day though!

The FACE and Squetch tutoirals on the DVD... those hopefully will help clue me in.

I bought 2007 upgrade last Saturday, got it on Wednsday ( I live in the middle of the country), it comes in a double CD case with the DVD and the A:M disc, and the upgraded manual.

You say the CD is included, I'm assuming it's on the DVD then? I havent really had time to explore yet, just wanna make sure.

Will i get the DVD as i have just purchased A:M?

Wheather you purchase or upgrade, you get the Extras DVD.

Mr. Hash doesn't just want you to purchase his program, he will do everything he can to help you produce your own movie. That is why he includes so many tools to make your task easier.

Ahh cool! Been wondering what was going on with this. Cant wait, well Ill have too until the government sends me the money they owe me for overbilling me and calling it some kind of Income tax. Your model, Rodney, has a small head? Is it smart? Or is it a mindless bag of boltz trying to balance on an over sized airplane wheel as tries to rescue hero-ins in distress or even conquer its fears against the surmountable odds of some distressed planets ultimate doom at the hands of some evil villian? :D Either way, it looks ready for battle even if it means the recycling center for fallen warriors! :P

• Admin
Your model, Rodney, has a small head? Is it smart? Or is it a mindless bag of boltz trying to balance on an over sized airplane wheel as tries to rescue hero-ins in distress or even conquer its fears against the surmountable odds of some distressed planets ultimate doom at the hands of some evil villian?

My model is a recurring character from "My Robot Movie" which was launched here in the forum back in 2003.

I got distracted and have put it aside for now.

The head of the robot is a 360 degree camera setup.

The camera inside constantly spins creating a 360 degree panarama in multiD.

The 'live feed' goes um... somewhere else.

Most robots in this particular series were manufactured to perform security tasks mostly related to 'locate and report'.

Once tasked they will continue to look for their target until they find it. They won't stop.

Once found they will execute their next directive.

In most cases that directive is simply "Report".

Of course at the end of each report they recieve new instructions.

There are many variations on the theme for this robot (some have legs for instances) and within the the story the more you find out about this robot the more you learn about the worlds of "My Robot Movie".

Based on the data collected from the enormous amount of these sentries reporting in, informed decisions can be made.

What or who is making these decisions is a subject of some debate and a story arc in "My Robot Movie".

The WIP is still on the forum and most of the images are still there.

Its fun thinking back to it from time to time.

Thanks for reminding me of how much fun that was. :)

My Robot Movie

Note: I don't think the robot on the DVD has a camera in it.

It'd be easy to set up though. Most of the models and sets I had for MRM are lost or buried.

Sometimes I think of starting MRM up again but other projects always take priority.

• Admin
I believe that one is on the 2007 AM CD under data as opposed to the DVD.

Whoops. Thanks for the correction there David and Ken.

The assumption will be made that those dragons are on the Extra DVD when they in fact are not.

They are on the A:M CD.

Steve,

I must say... that is beautifully presented information. Very nice. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just really looked at the DVD with v14 ..amazing collection and found stuff I had contributed and forgotten. My yellowdog model that I had at the pitstop. Alot of other projects inluding my avatar and under the tutorials some of my old website. Then there is the good stuff. Must say if you haven't purchased the upgrade you are missing a lot of great stuff

:blink:

Early attempt at modeling and why I don't do much now

yellowdog0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hehe... cute dog John.

It should be noted that John has a folder of his own on the Extra DVD full of project files and demonstrations of how things work in A:M . One of these days we'll have to collect them all but the files he has on the DVD are sure representing!

Thanks for all you do John.

You are indeed the Tinkering Gnome. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'm the only one still wanting to explore?

Let's not forget the A:M CD shall we.

There are a lot of resources there too.

Most easily accessible via your Library window.

Stian's McLaren is still there.

Don't know about you but I think its cool.

Stian also has other projects on the CD and Extra DVD.

Alligators, Cars and more... in a word... gofindthem!

Stian__s_McLaren.jpg

My only complaint about the bonus disc is on the various tutorials. Most of them are good but there are some that wont open or are otherwise plain wierd. I mean a few of the zip arcives dont work, some pdfs will not open and a few tuts are in like chinese. I thought that as a whole the dvd was pretty good but i think that whoeaver organizes the next one should at least make sure that the tutorials will at least open.

• Admin
My only complaint about the bonus disc is on the various tutorials. Most of them are good but there are some that wont open or are otherwise plain wierd. I mean a few of the zip arcives dont work, some pdfs will not open and a few tuts are in like chinese. I thought that as a whole the dvd was pretty good but i think that whoeaver organizes the next one should at least make sure that the tutorials will at least open.

I can agree with that.

If you like we can start now! ;)

There was no test phase for the DVD as no one stepped up to the job.

Last minute changes broke a lot so what you see on the DVD is a lot different than what you almost had.

What a difference a few months makes.

Seriously, I'm not complaining back at you, but the Extra DVD is what you and I make it.

Hash Inc mostly just distributes what we give them.

• Thanks 1

• Admin
Yea i see your point but i was dissipointed when many tutorials that looked cool would not open. Howeaver i want to comment on how good all the models and projects were. I had lots of fun exploring to see what new stuff i could find.

Thanks for understanding and taking my response in the right way.

Trust me when I say that no one meant to put broken tutorials on your Extra DVD.

Well... if you don't count one or two little gremlins. ;)

The Extra DVD was dangerously close to never happening.

Collecting resources like these (and testing them!) is just too much work.

If smarter minds had prevailed I don't think it would have been produced.

That we have an Extra DVD is a testiment to the hard work and contributions of Steve Sappington, all the talented contributors and those working behind the scenes. Thanks guys and gals!

Now...

If you find a resource that is broken don't give up!

That resource is probably still available online. The Extra DVD is mostly a means of collection, preservation and distribution.

Ask about the resource here in the forum and someone will probably know right where to find it.

• Admin

They are indeed on the 2007 Extra DVD: (sorry to quibble but that's over 3 Gigabytes of difference) ;)

\ExtrasData\Models\Actors\Realistic\Lambrina

\ExtrasData\Models\Actors\Realistic\Dex

I present proof!

LexAndLambrina.jpg

• Admin
I will consider to upgrade.

Lex and Lambrina should be on earlier A:M CDs too.

Upgrade for the latest and greatest in A:M or else you will surely be disappointed.

I certainly wouldn't upgrade for the Extra DVD!

There is a reason the 'Extra' DVD is thusly named.

But you are guaranteed to get more than what you pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been giving my brain and eyeballs a workout reading , watching and even learning from the huge amount of info on the Extra disk. At first I was so taken by the changes in A.M. that I didn't even give the Extra dvd a second thought but good golly!!!!! I have really been taken by the squetch rig . I really am left speechless. Just how good does it get? Maybe as good as I make it? hahaha Thanks to all that made the "Extra dvd" a Super Sized Grand Slam!!

Jim

well,

I have the Hash v13 and Dex and lambrina is not there. I guess it was a bad time to buy it, since people are telling me that is in Hash v12 and Hash v14.

I am going to upgrade for sure, because I really like the software.